Anyone running auxiliary lights for snowfall?

Aegis

K9 Handler
Figured there might be a handful of people who've got a setup going for when the white stuff starts falling -- whether it's for wheeling or general driving. Just curious as to how you set your rig up for flurries? I'm guessing with a selective yellow, maybe?

Would love to see some shots of mounting/use if anyone has them. If not, just a kind word or suggestion would be fantastic! We do quite a fair bit of driving up northward come winter, and I'd love to have something to run versus the OEM headlights for when it starts to come down.

Thanks in advance! :)

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
It is just starting to get dark here again and the snow is still above 4k feet, but I keep it simple. Philips Weathervision in the lamps and Hella Micro DL with Hella Yellowstar bulbs in the fogs down low. This works for me, very little glare in our +1000" of snow years.

Aegis

K9 Handler
Sounds like a decent setup -- does it give enough throw that you can run it without the headlights if need be and still be (somewhat) good to go?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Nope. Don't need much light when everythings white. With decent white cloud cover the light just reflects around and can't escape. Sometimes it's nearly bright outside at 2am! Rain-X on the windows and 2g of windshield fluid rolling around the bed of my truck is about all I need for the truck.

Sea&Xc

Here in NH, I have Hella 500FF Fogs mounted low and on the corners of my Suburban. Years ago I had some yellow ones but went clear on this truck. They are plenty bright but the position is key to minimize glare in the snow. Much better visibility than the factory ones. I used the factory harness and cut the lower fascia to make them fit. One lens has a small hole from road debris so I'd recommend a clear or yellow film to help protect it. I need to work on getting decent fogs for the Mazda next to it.
IMG_20130906_105631_404.jpg

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a decent setup -- does it give enough throw that you can run it without the headlights if need be and still be (somewhat) good to go?

When they are clean. I have get a lot of road spray with them mounted in the stock location low on the bumper.The Hella Micro DLs replaced the factory fogs that looked like this but did not have a good distance throw. The BMW Motorrad riders liked the Micro DLs so I gave them a shot.
asc_HellaFogLight_Front.JPG
In my build tread (located in my signature) on the last few pages I have some pictures of the Micro DLs. I'll post them up in this later.

just fogs

fogs and low beam

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Here in NH, I have Hella 500FF Fogs mounted low and on the corners of my Suburban. Years ago I had some yellow ones but went clear on this truck. They are plenty bright but the position is key to minimize glare in the snow. Much better visibility than the factory ones. I used the factory harness and cut the lower fascia to make them fit. One lens has a small hole from road debris so I'd recommend a clear or yellow film to help protect it. I need to work on getting decent fogs for the Mazda next to it.
View attachment 183977

I like that set up. Does Hella make a stone cover for the 500s like they do with the 4000s?

cwm

Observer
Something to understand when talking about auxiliary lights is understanding the difference between auxiliary driving lights and true auxiliary fog lights.

Fog lights are made with a low and wide light pattern. Where a driving light has a beam that shines higher. The higher light pattern will cause the light to reflect off the snow and back at the vehicle. A fog beam should be closer to the road so it doesn't reflect as much and in fog get under some of the fog.

An example of the reflection back is drive in snow with the regular headlights. Then put on the high beams. The difference is obvious.

Also the fog lights should be mounted as low as possible.

Sea&Xc

I like that set up. Does Hella make a stone cover for the 500s like they do with the 4000s?

The kit came with a solid cover but I've never used them. I think a film and the black "grate" guards would offer the next best protection without having to worry about lost covers or having to remove them when you need the light.

Aegis

K9 Handler
The kit came with a solid cover but I've never used them. I think a film and the black "grate" guards would offer the next best protection without having to worry about lost covers or having to remove them when you need the light.

I've always wondered how well something like Lamin-X would work on a surface that large, that low. Would love to run something similar, but I definitely could and would get tired of things cracking all the time.

Shortpipes

KD0TRP
If you drive in snow quite a bit stay away from LEDs. They don't give off any heat so when they get packed up with snow they don't melt off.

tacr2man

Adventurer
You dont want any grills on lights due to snow packing even with heat from halogen bulbs, the lights need to be relatively low , ie not roof level, but below eyeline, and with a sharp top cut off line , too much light can be worse than adequate. High K not good either . HTSH yellow has not been shown to be any advantage , but may be a personal choice , it was the same in fog .

alexfm

Explorer
I've got 4 Hella 500's on the front of my XJ, and while I don't deal with snow too often, I will recommend these vinyl lens covers that I use. i found the on Amazon for really cheap, like $12 for a pair. They've worked great, and those lights have taken tons of rain, mud, and good sized rocks at highway speed with no ill effect. O'm on my iPad now, but I'll post a link to the vinyl deals when I get home and can use the computer.

colodak

Adventurer

I run a set PIAA 001 xt's clear and PIAA 510 Ion Crystal. Actually planning to add another set maybe, I do drive a lot at night (often starting work at 2 am) and drive a lto in the snow, rain. Only complaint I have, PIAA's use a glass lens and give off a lot of heat, prone to stress cracking from cold water getting splashed on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles