Anyone running an aftermarket TPMS? (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I'm thinking about installing something that'll monitor the pressures, especially for highway travel. The new wheels are in, powder coated, and ready to have rubber put on.....time for TPMS to go on, or not.

If you are running a TPMS, and like it, please post up. I'd like to know what's good out there, and not so good.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Friend of mine had one on this truck and fifth wheeler. A tire on the fifth wheel completely disintegrated. The TPMS still showed the pressure on that tire as perfectly fine. It reduced my confidence in TPMS systems.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Tyredog TPMS (I have an older version)
The sensors (external) are small enough to fit on the inside valve stem (I have flush mounts for stems on both the inside and outside of the rims), between the rim and brake, so they seem pretty protected from knock-off (and thief-proof in that location)..
I use these as the valve stem mounts Flush valve stems with commerical wheel screw in cores for the filling adapters. The adapter that comes with the kit su*ks and there is only one. The truck tire adapters are shorter (and can be shorten even more), and are cheap so you can have a bunch ( I have 10,one for each sensor, and 6 'spares').
The wireless range of the Tyredogs works fine on my Fuso, and temp indication seems to be in the same range as my digital IR sensor.

All that being said, if I was building up wheels (mine were already together) I would go with an internal system for protect of the sensor off-road.

Normal driving (flush)
valve1.jpg

Inflating or deflating (adapter installed) and same adapter (shorted) for TPMS on inside of wheel to mount sensor
valve2.jpg

Last edited:

Czechsix

Yeah, I'm not going to go with the externals, internals only.

Any and all of them can fail, but having had front flats a few times at highway speed, while in a loaded deuce and a half, I really don't need that kind of excitement any more. When we're heading out on a trip it's normal that I'll be driving five or six hours at a time just to get out to a nice area. Lots of things can happen in that time, TPMS is just a bit of insurance. Besides, if it helps prevent damage to some of these freaking expensive tires, I'm all for it.

I'll check into the Tyredog stuff, maybe they have an internal.

Bris31

Adventurer
I have external Tyredog. Also removed the underneath security nut because it is pita un/screwing them when inflating/deflating tyres. After 8 months or so and thousands K onroad/offroad still got them working. Many will not recommend this approach but so far working in my case - risky though.

Attachments

• Tyre Dog 1.jpg
    Tyre Dog 1.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 20

alan

Explorer
I'm thinking about installing something that'll monitor the pressures, especially for highway travel. The new wheels are in, powder coated, and ready to have rubber put on.....time for TPMS to go on, or not.

If you are running a TPMS, and like it, please post up. I'd like to know what's good out there, and not so good.

I have been involved with TPMS for over 10 years and have seen a lot of kits and brands come and go, personally i would never use the external screw on style, they don't meet safety standards in most countries, reason being the sensor is holding the shrader valve open to monitor pressure, the sensor membrane is the only thing holding air in your tyres, that's dangerous, how this type can monitor tyre temperature inside is a miracle, internal sensors are the way to go as long as your tyre man have a few brains not to damage it when changing tyres, i developed a brand called sensatyre which i sold years ago to hannibal safari in Australia, this brand is still available and i still consider it one of the best systems on the market.

Czechsix

Can't find the Sensatyre in N.A., but I've heard good things about them. If I could get a system, I'd probably opt for that. Have to check to see if I can import one, but don't see why not.

ETA: Looks like I can get it shipped here no worries - maybe Alan will autograph it for me :D

RE: CTIS - external linkage, or gun drilled axle? or? Kinda curious, yes, I am.

Last edited:

Jason F1

TPMS and sensor options for the larger sized wheels

If you are running high quality wheels on a truck sized all-terrain vehicle, the wheels can easily cost upwards of $6k each. In such a case TPMS is almost a 'must'. If regularly adjusting pressure for different terrain or the need to reseat the bead of a flat tyre, then a fast-fill' valve is almost a 'must' otherwise you may be sitting there waiting for a very very long time. If you are more serious about safety, then installing 'run-flats' or 'bead-locks' may be in order, in which case you cannot likely fit internal sensors.

One arrangement when running 'run-flats' or 'bead-locks' is to install a tee adaptor to allow fitment of an external sensor and a 'fast-fill' valve. By this means, there is no need to disturb the sensor when adjusting pressure (but there is always the risk of a leak at, or a blow out of the sensor), and the fast-fill valve is still accessible. The question remains as to how practical it will be to fit this arrangement on a wheel without causing a balance issue.

An in-line external sensor is even better as it removes the need for a tee adaptor. I am still looking for a decent in-line external sensor.

unkamonkey

Explorer
You are getting close the range I spent for my entire MF camper. I think I can avoid those prices and still enjoy mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles