anyone running a trailer brake controller in a recent model FG?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
It's time to put one in, the flatbed needs more work. It'll be a mid size dump trailer, but the truck is light enough that it'll be a good thing to have brakes on the trailer.

The questions is - what controller? From what I'm seeing on other sites and reviews, the Tekonsha P3 is highly regarded. Dunno....haven't bought a controller in years.

The SAM might or might not need to be reprogrammed for the addtional draw from the trailer lighting, I might just go to LED on the trailer lights and see if it becomes a non-issue. If it does become an issue, my local FG tech said no issues to reset the parameters for the higher draw. He also said that FUSO doesn't offer a controller or trailer hook up kit, just go aftermarket.

Czechsix

Hmmm...well, guess that's an answer, of a sort.

So, I've gotten a Tekonsha P3 controller and I'll be wiring it up. Any issues I find, I'll post them up here. I've got a 12' dump trailer that I need to haul, more or less weekly. Doing it with the FG would be much better than doing it with the old F350, the difference in turning radius is significant. FG is so much easier to maneuver.....

Czechsix

Good to hear the P3 works well. The trailer light draw really isn't that much of an issue, the FG can have the parameters reprogrammed, but more than likely without the reprogramming it'll throw a fault code due to a higher draw.

Czechsix

Well.....tapping into the brake switch is a no go. I'm thinking I'm going to actually tap into the brake light, and actuate the P3 that way.

Unless I get lucky and there's a trailer connection that's hiding somewhere, or maybe FUSO actually has a trailer harness. I'll be calling FUSO N.A. regional rep tomorrow or Friday to see if I can get a definite answer on this.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Well.....tapping into the brake switch is a no go. I'm thinking I'm going to actually tap into the brake light, and actuate the P3 that way.

Unless I get lucky and there's a trailer connection that's hiding somewhere, or maybe FUSO actually has a trailer harness. I'll be calling FUSO N.A. regional rep tomorrow or Friday to see if I can get a definite answer on this.
I use a Jordan Ultima Brake Controller on my F250. It is activated by a cable that connects to the brake peddle arm (in the cab) so it does not rely on inertia or an electrical signal from your brake light. I chose it as I liked the idea of being able to adjust it so it activates the trailer's brakes prior to the truck's brakes, something I don't think you can do with inertia/electrical. Easy install even on the Ford that has a power adjusted (for distance) brake & throttle.
Bad news is a quick internet search just now shows the owner/designer retired and they don't seem to be made anymore. Perhaps someone has copied that design (cable activated)?

Czechsix

That probably would have worked well, mog....but I can't find any either.

I'm running a powered 5 into 4 converter, and I think I'll just wind up tapping into the output on that. That way it'll be completely isolated from the truck CAN Bus, which isn't a bad thing.

seangrips

I run a Sensor Brake system for Hyraulic Disks on a 5th Wheeler behind my FG637 Canter, it also controls standard electric Brakes as well.
being a 24v system, I also use a Redarc voltage converter for trailer lights.
Also to help the 24V system balance the 2x 12v batteries i use a redarc Charge equilizer

http://www.alko.com.au/vehicle-technology/sensabrake/
http://www.redarc.com.au/products/product/compact-trailer-lighting-reducer_10a-4/
http://www.redarc.com.au/products/category/t-ce-series-charge-equaliser/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles