Anyone running a Chevy custom Trail Boss?

Grassland

Anyone here running a Chevy double cab Custom Trail Boss?
They are the only truck locally that starts under 50k with the options I want. In fact you seem to be able to get them around 40k.
5.3, tow package, small lift and AT tires. Six speed, locker in the rear, and no chrome!
Of course there isn't tons of trucks to go and see.
I'm not paying 50k plus for an XLT half ton. So if Ford doesn't get it's act together next year, going to have to consider Government Motors.

Which six speed are they using? Is it the legacy one from the previous body style?
Has the 8 speed had its quirks ironed out?.
Is the trail boss package suspension any good or is it the usual ho hum?

I just Read Scott Brady's review of the GMC At4 which I think would be similar but it had the diesel, and he kept mixing up what tires he had on the truck and what size they were.

jbaucom

The 5.3/6 speed in the Custom Trail Boss is the same combination used in the K2 generation GM trucks, so it's the 6L80 transmission and the 5.3 with active fuel management (V8/V4) instead of the new 5.3 with dynamic fuel management (selectively runs on 1-8 cylinders as power requirements demand). Based on the number of people who seem to have issues with every modern truck transmission, I'm not sure that the 8 speed ever had an honest widespread issue; I suspect that we have a lot of people who are used to silky smooth drivelines in their luxury cars and expect the same from their new (first) truck. As I recall, some of the 8 speed concerns were addressed by a TSB to change the ATF. I changed the ATF in my 6 speed at 50K mi and it was noticeably smoother.

The shocks are "Rancho" branded, like the regular Z71, but longer. The front control arms are unique to the AT4 & Trail Boss to accommodate the lift. I'm not certain, but I believe the rear lift is accomplished with larger blocks.

Grassland

There was only one Trailboss on the local lot and it was an LT.
The front skid plate is still plastic. The engine one is steel instead of plastic like the non trail boss trucks.
The Transfer case skid is only attached to one cross member. Chinsey.
A friend has the 6.2 and 8 speed and had that ATF change recall performed.
I've made due with a six speed so far in life and if it's reliable I'm fine with six. If it's still the 6L80 I can easily look into it.
Many of the trucks list not having active fuel management, and a $50 credit. Maybe a component shortage?
Isn't the non firing cylinder system some of the reason behind oil consumption?

So far the things going for the Custom Trail boss are:
No chrome.
Proven drivetrain.
Reasonable AT tires and "lift" included
Rear locker
Some cons are:
Small fuel tank
Underwhelming skid plates even by OEM standards, no fuel tank or transmission skids included.

Since only an LT TB was on the lot, I noted it had auto trac. Does the GM transfer case fully lock up or does it have slippage because it's clutches?

I oddly enough like the buttons with the 2^ 4^ and 4v for engaging the transfer case modes.

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_135505.jpg
    IMG_20210620_135505.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20210620_135510.jpg
    IMG_20210620_135510.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 25

jbaucom

The lack of AFM/DFM and a $50 credit is due to the chip shortage. GM is opting to build the trucks without cylinder deactivation if they don't have the chips to control it. I was underwhelmed by the skid plates when I crawled under a new Z71 while I was truck shopping in 2019. The GM accessory skid plates on my 2014 were much more substantial. The Autotrac transfer case does fully lock up in 4H & 4L; I'm not entirely sure if it ever fully locks up in 4A. I really appreciated the 4A setting on wet roads in town, because I never had to worry about spinning the rear wheels when I needed to start off uphill or when making a left across traffic - I could just punch it and go. It's one of the things I do miss on my F150 STX, but Ford's wet/snow mode on the transmission is pretty effective on wet roads.

Explorerinil

Observer
I see allot of them on the road, if you want a chrome free truck with a small lift and black rims for a decent price that would be a decent truck for you. Personally I wouldn’t consider a new gm vehicle, they have lost there quality across the board and are not innovative at all, minus the new corvette. For a half ton, I would look at a ram or f150.

mekcanix

Camper
for me it was a hard choice between a new GM and the used Rebel. It came down to the fact that I felt I got a really good deal on a truck I had been lusting over (but wouldn't touch due to the air suspension , mine was deleted at the dealership). That said I love , LOVE the 5.3 ! that truck I had was a reliable as I could have ever hoped for, but the trans was starting to shift weird which is why I trade it in, and I really hope the Ram is close to as solid.
I have a friend with a 2020 AT4 and as I recall he has had some issues with it, but all 100% covered by the dealer , so far. I know a kid at work just got one and gives me a hard time for getting the rebel over a GM. Not that helps you or really answers your question Duh!

Grassland

I see allot of them on the road, if you want a chrome free truck with a small lift and black rims for a decent price that would be a decent truck for you. Personally I wouldn’t consider a new gm vehicle, they have lost there quality across the board and are not innovative at all, minus the new corvette. For a half ton, I would look at a ram or f150.
I don't have 60-80 grand for a truck, and I don't like chrome.
I'm hoping an XLT ford can be had for 40k again next year and I'll live with chrome. But I'm not giving them 50 k for a Supercab XLT.
Trucks have become stupid. My 2014 was 32k new in 14. Used to be able to buy a GM custom for low 30s a few years ago and prior to shortages 40k got a decent truck. Now it's 50 and all the Ford's on the local lot are pushing or above 60

D

Deleted member 9101

The nice thing about the 5.3 is if you want more power... It's the cheapest V8 1/2 ton to tinker with.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm hoping an XLT ford can be had for 40k again next year and I'll live with chrome. But I'm not giving them 50 k for a Supercab XLT.
Trucks have become stupid. My 2014 was 32k new in 14. Used to be able to buy a GM custom for low 30s a few years ago and prior to shortages 40k got a decent truck. Now it's 50 and all the Ford's on the local lot are pushing or above 60

Mullinax Ford in Apopka FL runs sales all the time. A buddy of mine got a brand new 2019 XLT, 4x4, super crew for 36k.

jadmt

ignore button user
I know looks are totally subjective, but for me the trail boss misses big time in the looks department.

Explorerinil

Observer
Wait for this mess to blow over and get something you want. A friend just sold his 2011 2500 Chevy with a 6.0 for 35k, that’s a stupid high price for that truck.

D

Deleted member 9101

Reminder I live in Canada's ******** hole aka Winnipeg Manitoba, and our dollar is worth maybe 80 cents of the US dollar. Also, the Berlin Wall is still up between our countries.

Lol... Noted. Ya know, unless you absolutely have to buy one now, you should wait. Truck prices are stupid and the inventory is almost non existent.

Now, the best would be to sell your truck now and then pocket the money until things calm down.

SoTxAg06

They are a Z71 packaged truck with the exception of different shocks/struts, rear springs and rear blocks. You can buy the trailer boss suspension kit through GM and add it to any 4 wheel drive truck. Honestly, if you plan on doing aftermarket struts/shocks, you might as well just save the money up front and spend it on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz