anyone ride the stealth bikes?

deuxdiesel

Observer
I haven't owned a motorcycle in years, but I am planning on a KLR 650 in the future for fire road and back road tours. I am a MTB nut, and own 5 or 6 bikes at any one time, including being a fat bike enthusiast since 2007 (old school Pugsley!), so I appreciate both types of transport. The problem with eBikes is that because they have pedals, people incorrectly assume they are not motor-cycles, which they clearly are, and so we are starting to see them being used on no-motor, multi-use trails. These trails are usually the result of lobbying by bikers, are built by bikers and maintained by bikers, and then used by others (cough cough equestrians hikers cough cough) who complain about bikers. With the potential speeds and significant power these can generate, they just don't mix. I have no problem with them on motorcycle trails or on public roads, they just don't belong in no-motor areas.

mathers420

Observer
Wow I did not know there was such hatred for these things. I think they are figgin cool. and look to be a hoot in the woods.

If you don't have purpose built mountain bike trails, it's hard to understand why mountain bikers are against e-bikes.

No one has a problem (or should) with e-bikes on atv/multi-purpose trails where existing motorized traffic exists.
The problem is when those e-bikes are riding on mountain bike trails that are (normally) much more sensitive to erosion/rutting and may be in danger of being closed with the existing human powered traffic.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I am not sure where the name stealth bikes came from as they are not stealth bikes they are Electric bikes. As for if they belong here in expedition bikes I would be hard pressed to ever use one for expedition purposes but it could be done. As far as speed and distance an electric bike cannot go above 32 kmph by law, and the range is generally around 100k per charge depending on how much you pedal, your weight, etc. but I have yet to wear down a battery in a day of riding.

I do own an Ebike, I also own a road touring bike and a mountain bike but due to a lung disease I cannot ride my standard bikes. I can ride an Ebike as if I get winded, if the terrain gets steep or the wind comes up then I have the ability to use the electric assist to help me along and I am not putting my life in jeopardy in going for a ride. It allows me to get out there and continue riding like I have done for 40 years and hundred of thousands of kilometers. As far as banning them from regular bike lanes / trails this is more of a problem with the rider than the bike. Like me saying that anyone on a fat tire bike is a jerk because I saw one person riding like a jerk 5 years ago that goes for electric bikes as well or for that matter any bike.

Some of the newer ones can be used really off road but I would not want to do very much with them as they handle a lot differently than a regular bike, the electric power can kick the rear wheel out from under you if you are not careful. I suppose if you got use to it it would be fine but I am happy to do roads, paved trails and the occasional well used dirt trail.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Mike, I think this isn't so much of a debate about the overall merits of e-bikes. To be sure, I've never ridden one and not smiled ear to ear. I think many of us are concerned about the implications of their use on non-motorized multi-use trails.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
So. Photomike, what you are saying is that the stealth bikes are illegal? I have seen videos that give credit to their top speeds. Where is this "law" written? is it new? old? I have NEVER seen or heard of any law limiting the speed of a pedal/e bike before.

Vermonster

Observer
"Stealth Bikes" is a brand. ebikes are a category description.
PLENTY of regulations about ebikes, maximum speed, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws http://ebike.research.pdx.edu/sites... by State and Province (updated 11_2015).pdf
Most places, if it's not an ebike, then it's a motorcycle...but if a motorcycle then it may not have all the required equipment to pass inspection (be street legal).
Many gray areas. For example, in NH if it is <750 watts/20mph in one law it's a bike; but if you are riding on another's private property it's probably a motorized vehicle and requires landowner permission (pure pedal bike does not); if you are on a state approved trail open to dirt bikes, do you need an OHRV sticker? Who knows?
Some places do discriminate between a combustion engine and an electric motor; most places lump them together as a "motor vehicle".

Last edited:

Photomike

So. Photomike, what you are saying is that the stealth bikes are illegal? I have seen videos that give credit to their top speeds. Where is this "law" written? is it new? old? I have NEVER seen or heard of any law limiting the speed of a pedal/e bike before.

Here is the law that I have gone with https://www.transportation.alberta.ca/content/docType45/Production/smallvehiclesinab3.pdf I never knew that you need a motorcycle helmet, I won't be wearing one myself as I could not peddle and keep my head cool. I was told that a Ebike also needs peddles and you cannot have a traditional throttle like a motor bike. There may be a new set of rules out that I do not know about I will keep looking.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
maybe its a provincial thing....they are for sale in Ontario, Quebec at this time. I have seen speed videos where they pegged over 60kmh on one.

Photomike

There are a lot of things for sale but if you read the "rules" they are illegal. A hoover board is allowed to be sold but according to a set of rules that I found "cannot be used on roadways, sidewalks, walking or cycling trails or any other public right of way". So you can use it in your driveway only :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste