anyone ride the stealth bikes?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Anyone have any seat time on the stealth electric bikes? Wondering about the power difference between the b-52 and F - 37. I like the longer range of the F 37 but the power is down a bit....

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
In fairness I'm not anti e-bike, I'm in favor of calling them what they are, which is motorized vehicles.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
In fairness I'm not anti e-bike, I'm in favor of calling them what they are, which is motorized vehicles.
Well said. I did recently see a dude on one of my local trails on an e-bike and he was genuinely riding like a **************. It was the first time I saw one on the trail behaving as many people feared they would. Lots of cooked turns, heavy break ruts, not great.

p nut

butter
Well said. I did recently see a dude on one of my local trails on an e-bike and he was genuinely riding like a **************. It was the first time I saw one on the trail behaving as many people feared they would. Lots of cooked turns, heavy break ruts, not great.

Let's try to encourage that kind of behavior, so they can be banned sooner from non-motorized trails. They even get annoying in bike lanes as well. Some idiot passed me doing a good clip, missing my handlebars by a few inches. 3' rule should apply there, too.

kojackJKU

None of that here....we just have wilderness...looks like a good time and a great alternative to a "small dirt bike" for playing around on. To bad people can't see that side of it....

p nut

butter
None of that here....we just have wilderness...looks like a good time and a great alternative to a "small dirt bike" for playing around on. To bad people can't see that side of it....

kojack - I'm not against e-bikes in proper settings (i.e. on motorized trails). Seems like you've got plenty of that there. Sure, have fun. I'd welcome not smelling any fumes as one of them passes. :D

kojackJKU

Its all wilderness here! NO bike lanes/trails etc....so its all wide open...Anyone have any thought on the stealth bikes?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Nothing wrong with electric bikes, I just don't like that they are being positioned as bicycles. The earliest motorcycles were essentially engine-assisted pedal bikes after all.

I think there's a lot of potential for them. They are environmentally friendly, largely zero emission, quiet, efficient. For commuting and utility there's a whole ton of place for them. But recreationally I guess I just don't see quite the benefit over fully human powered bikes or existing motos. They are either over powered MTBs or under powered dirt bikes. I dunno.

kojackJKU

I dunno Dave, 60 kph and 100 km range from a 30 lb bike with loads of travel sounds like a good time in the backcountry to me. Most of our "dirt" trails are less than 100km as that's about the limit of gas mileage on our strictly dirt bikes.

kojackJKU

Well...its still a bicycle...you pedal it. where as you cannot with a motorcycle. Its only a pedal bike for lazy people :)

Wow I did not know there was such hatred for these things. I think they are figgin cool. and look to be a hoot in the woods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste