Anyone replace a JK key?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Not sure what happened, but my 2014 JK key fob is destroyed, it appears to be filled with oil or maybe the battery leaked. The circuit board disintegrated. The dealership wants $180 for the part, $180 for the labor, and taxes and whatnot… say $400-450. Amazon has 2 for $32 and I already have JScan which seems to be able to program the key. Anyone done this successfully?

warrior1

I have no experience with the JScan, however I have bought keyfobs from amazon for both of my JK's. I then had to have them programmed by a locksmith.
I had them cut the key and program it for about $65. He hooked up his laptop to the ALDL connector and it took about 5 minutes.
All told less than $100 all in for the 2nd key. But...
Once you have 2 keys, you can buy a third and program it yourself. Apologies if you already knew that.
I actually bought 2 extra keys on Amazon, had Ace hardware cut them, then programmed them myself. So now I have a total of 4 keys.

I hope this helps, the dealerships were expensive here in Texas as well, hence the amazon/local locksmith route.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Quick update, the internet seems to have many stories of people claiming to have used Jscan successfully to program keys. For me, not so much. It reads the PIN, but when trying to write the new key it tells me I’ve entered the incorrect PIN. I have a few ideas to mess with, but I’m not sure that my Amazon keys are solving the issue for me.

Im going to mess with some battery checks and whatnot before continuing. Possible updates in the future!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
any reputable sources for the keys themselves?

I got mine from Amazon, 2 for $32. If they work, I’ll post a link. I didn’t have to get them cut, although Ace Hardware gave me a bunch of crap when I asked if they would. I just lifted the electronics out and put them in my dead key body that was already cut. Along the way I killed that key completely. It used to start and run the Jeep just not do the locks, now it starts and dies after 2 seconds.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Woo-hoo! Success!

I’m not sure what was wrong, but I think the battery wasn’t seated properly in the key. I opened it up to check the battery voltage and it looked a little crooked. I think it wasn’t making contact properly. The key snapped shut much more smoothly, and then JScan programmed it in only a few seconds.

These are the keys I used:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior