Anyone removed an anti-condensation mat?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I think I’m on my 4th soft shell folder tent. Currently a CVT summit series. This is the first one that has ever had an anti-condensation mat. I always thought I wanted/needed one, and was excited to get this.
However, it is ridiculously stiff, keeps the mattress folded annoyingly when opening the tent, and adds a lot of weight. I also think it is contributing to a lack of space for bedding and stuff inside.
So, the question is... has anyone gone away from using the mat? Do you regret it? I’ve never had enormous condensation issues, certainly in the rain, yes, but I’ve never expected much else. Am I thinking crazy here?

Scoutman

Explorer
Not crazy, I've wondered the same thing on my CVT Summit Series for similar reasons. Or maybe that makes us both crazy.

I eventually gave in and had to add some additional cushion to our sleep setup (2" latex topper) so now space is even tighter. Getting rid of the ACM would help with that.

ThePartyWagon

I've had three roof top tents, slept in wet, cold, snowy and hot weather and I've never had condensation issues. None of the tents I have owned ever had condensation mats, this was never a concern.

Maybe if there was more humidity out here my experience would be different but I've used tents in numerous western states with the same experience.

Ditch it

dstock

Explorer
If you camp in coastal environments at all, don't get rid of it. We get an insane amount of condensation in our CVT Mt. Shasta when we camp near the beach.

rgallant

Adventurer
@dstock pretty much nailed it if you have hi humidity you will want to keep it. In BC myself, other than a few months in the summer I got a bit of moisture just too much wet to avoid it. The anti condensation mat made all the difference no condensation any more. But I do sleep with the roof window 20 - 100% open depending on the time to of year

NatersXJ6

Explorer
@dstock pretty much nailed it if you have hi humidity you will want to keep it. In BC myself, other than a few months in the summer I got a bit of moisture just too much wet to avoid it. The anti condensation mat made all the difference no condensation any more. But I do sleep with the roof window 20 - 100% open depending on the time to of year

Well, most of my time is in the desert, or other relatively low humidity places. I went ahead and pulled it out yesterday. Based on the amount of water that poured through the rain fly this week with only about 1/2” of rain, I’m guessing I’ll have bigger issues than condensation anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles