Anyone remember the US-based Camel 110?

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
Guys,
Can anyone remember who imported into the USA a '97 or '98 CT110 by shipping the parts separately (IIRC, they shipped the rolling chassis separate from the engine and other bits)?

TIA,
Nick.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I only know of 4 CT 110's here legally in the US. 2 are here in NorCal, the one Andrew posted, and then one other one.

If you go to the NCLR websit you will find quite a few pics.

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
Ah yes, I think I was thinking of RonCT110.

@Andrew, don't think I've seen that one before, what's it's story?

I miss mine... :(

Nick.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Safari Gard did a lot of work on that one. It's pictured at the SG facility. Don't know much more than than. Hopefully Andrew does.

cheers

Dang, I was hoping you guys would know more of the story. When I was going down to visit SG on a regular basis Greg was working on it. I know he assembled it from a container of parts that was brought into the US. He mentioned it was for a client up in the Bay Area but I don't remember the lucky bloke's name. Sure was a nice truck and Greg really did some good work on it. I'd love to get the story and see her in person again, beautiful truck!

JSBriggs

Adventurer
This one was up in Truckee a couple years ago.

-Jeff

Attachments

• picking up the S3 043.jpg
    picking up the S3 043.jpg
    763.6 KB · Views: 471

Dmarchand

Adventurer
This one was up in Truckee a couple years ago.

-Jeff

I recall that one from 4-5 years ago. Was posted on LRX, had an RRC vin number and was for sale for around $25K. The chassis was in horrid shape. No rust, but the thing looked like it was the lead car for multiple CT's. Was missing most of the CT goodies but still had the riveted plate on the bonnet.

Nick, what about the CT disco at the rally? Do you know the owner?

TeriAnn

Explorer
This isn't a 'kit' Camel Trophy, but Domingo Dias of the East San Francisco bay area legally imported an ex-Camel Trophy D110. I don't rightly remember when but I think it was in the early 1990's or late '80's. He had a number of problems getting it through customs but finally managed. I never got around to asking him but I think it was a special dispensation because he drove one in a Camel Trophy event and it was a one time import of a special truck that was associated with him. I should have taken a few pictures & asked its history one of the times we were parked together. We used to see each other at the Hayward All British Field meet. Domingo, Lynn Helm & I would park our Land Rovers side by side at the meets. As I recall, his truck looked rather rough and was missing a bunch of the normal Camel Trophy gear. But it was a real trek veteran,

He sold his truck a few years ago and I haven't seen him since then.

But the truck is real and it was legally imported and legally licensed in California.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
I recall that one from 4-5 years ago. Was posted on LRX, had an RRC vin number and was for sale for around $25K. The chassis was in horrid shape. No rust, but the thing looked like it was the lead car for multiple CT's. Was missing most of the CT goodies but still had the riveted plate on the bonnet.

Nick, what about the CT disco at the rally? Do you know the owner?

I guess its a matter of opinion, but That its exactly what I liked about the truck. It was clearly the real deal, dents and all. The 'goodies' are just bolts ons and can be replaced, but the dents were earned!

-Jeff

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
This isn't a 'kit' Camel Trophy, but Domingo Dias of the East San Francisco bay area legally imported an ex-Camel Trophy D110. I don't rightly remember when but I think it was in the early 1990's or late '80's. He had a number of problems getting it through customs but finally managed. I never got around to asking him but I think it was a special dispensation because he drove one in a Camel Trophy event and it was a one time import of a special truck that was associated with him. I should have taken a few pictures & asked its history one of the times we were parked together. We used to see each other at the Hayward All British Field meet. Domingo, Lynn Helm & I would park our Land Rovers side by side at the meets. As I recall, his truck looked rather rough and was missing a bunch of the normal Camel Trophy gear. But it was a real trek veteran,

He sold his truck a few years ago and I haven't seen him since then.

But the truck is real and it was legally imported and legally licensed in California.

It is now back in NorCal and owned by Ron B. The PO had replaced (updated) the engine to a 300tdi and it has been gone through. It is now a really nice truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles