anyone remember Kodak....

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Not many parks named after a film!
Or a song named after it (the film), either.

BTW, when you say "remember Kodak" it implies they're no more. There's still Ektachome (E6), a few C41 (Ekar, ColorMax, Gold, Portra, etc), Tri-X, T-Max, and some chemicals and paper. They aren't completely gone. It's like a number of things (tube amps, vinyl records, etc) in that's the market pulled back to the level of enthusiasts served by mail order.

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day

I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

Last edited:

1000arms

Or a song named after it (the film), either.

BTW, when you say "remember Kodak" it implies they're no more. There's still Ektachome (E6), a few C41 (Ekar, ColorMax, Gold, Portra, etc), Tri-X, T-Max, and some chemicals and paper. They aren't completely gone. It's like a number of things (tube amps, vinyl records, etc) in that's the market pulled back to the level of enthusiasts served by mail order.

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day

I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

It would be nice to see an updated 3rd edition, the 2nd edition is over a decade old, but if you haven't read through a copy, you might find it interesting to do so.

Way Beyond Monochrome: Advanced Techniques for Traditional Black & White Photography (2nd Edition)

DaveInDenver

It would be nice to see an updated 3rd edition, the 2nd edition is over a decade old, but if you haven't read through a copy, you might find it interesting to do so.

Way Beyond Monochrome: Advanced Techniques for Traditional Black & White Photography (2nd Edition)
Do you still get in the darkroom? I do once in a while! It's therapeutic.

1000arms

Do you still get in the darkroom? I do once in a while! It's therapeutic.
I haven't been in an analog darkroom in almost 15 years. :) BW prints, color prints, color-process BW film printed with color-process, color film scanned and tweaked in Photoshop then (film-burner) burned to color film and printed using color process, and even (film-burner) burned to slides. I was also doing a lot of digital photography, tweaking in Photoshop, and printing with high end wide-format printers.

I'm glad I have the analog film background I have, which includes buying an SLR in high school, loading BW film in to reusable film canisters, shooting, developing and printing, but I was very glad when the digital camera quality improved enough and the prices dropped enough that I could afford my first DSLR. :)

If I were to do analog darkroom work again, it would probably involve making the best "digital" negative I could on a wide-format printer, and then making large analog contact-prints pushing the limits of what the paper is capable of handling. :) Yes, I blame the book Way Beyond Monochrome. :cool:

I'm glad you still enjoy the darkroom!

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Officially Kodak stopped selling chemicals in 2009 and kept the process secret and protected. Unofficially, well, uh, yeah...

https://emulsive.org/articles/darkr...-took-my-kodachrome-away-so-i-brought-it-back

You can process Kodachrome as black-and-white if you're really desperate for the images themselves.

No images...all that Kodachrome in my freezer is still sealed in the original Kodachrome boxes/canisters. Never been exposed.

I live out in the middle of Nevada - a "trip to town" for me means driving 175 miles (one way) to Reno. So, like everyone else around here I keep a huge stock of "essentials" on hand. Back then essentials included many rolls of my favorite films.

alanymarce

My Canon F1 is still ready for use, although I haven't taken any photos with it for a while I admit.

I am presumably an iconoclast - never really used Kodak much; I used Fujichrome most of the time, although for ISO100 I did default to Kodachrome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles