Anyone put BF Goodrich KO2s on their late model Forester? If so, please comment.

chuppie

Observer
I'm going to retire this winter and plan on on doing both the Dalton and Dempster Highways next Spring/Summer. My 2013 Forester is in need of new tires soon and I'm wondering how harsh the ride will be with them.

I do not want to lift or modify the vehicle. The tires are available in the stock size (27")

Thanks

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have read that a few guys are running the Cooper at3's on Subarus with great results, not sure on the ko2's though.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Haven't heard of this but I have no doubt it would be bad in a good way. VW Syncros with BFG ATs are pretty awesome and a Forester is similar I'd have to think. I assume BFG still makes those smaller sizes for stuff like that.

jackattack

Observer
I ran yokohama geolandars at/s exclusively on my old Outback. The suspension on these cars is already Buick-like, such that the stiffer tire didn't feel rough at all. Tougher on sharp rocks and great grip in the wet/snow. I would imagine the KO's would be just as good.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
As long as they are SL (that is, P rated tires vs. LT) which I presume they would be in that size, I don't know why the ride would be any worse with AT KOs than any other tire.

NOTE: I just looked at Discount Tire's web site and saw that all AT KOs are LT rated, they don't make an SL version. Might Duratracs be a better option? They do make SL (P rated) Duratracs.

ExDementia

Adventurer
I haven't run them on a Forester, but have had both KOs and KO2s, and I can tell you that they are as comfortable as an all terrain tire can be on the road. They don't feel any stiffer than other A/Ts I've run, but they are definitely more compliant than some mud tires I have had.

They're great tires, I wouldn't hesitate putting them on anything I own (OK, maybe not my Z, but you know).

p nut

butter
Looks like the closest to stock size is 225/65/17 (vs 225/55/17). The Load Range is D, so not as bad as E, but will be stiffer than stock P rated tires. With the extra sidewall, I doubt you'll notice much difference, though. One thing to be cautioned on the KO2's--they're rock chuckers. I hear it ping off of the wheelwells for several miles after I've left the dirt.
_
One other option: Buy some cheap 16" wheels and put 225/70/16's on. Slightly lighter, slightly closer to stock height, even more sidewall, and LR C.

chuppie

Observer
Looks like the closest to stock size is 225/65/17 (vs 225/55/17). The Load Range is D, so not as bad as E, but will be stiffer than stock P rated tires. With the extra sidewall, I doubt you'll notice much difference, though. One thing to be cautioned on the KO2's--they're rock chuckers. I hear it ping off of the wheelwells for several miles after I've left the dirt.
_
One other option: Buy some cheap 16" wheels and put 225/70/16's on. Slightly lighter, slightly closer to stock height, even more sidewall, and LR C.

First,
Thanks for the responses.
I do have 16" by choice already so they would be load the load range D. I have never had a flat on LT tires before on my trucks and Suburbans over the years. I have had a few flats on the P rated tires that came with one of the Suburbans and one of the Silverados. When they wore out, I always put LT Load Range E on them and then reduced the pressure until the ride was tolerably comfortable. I guess I will give them a try and report back.

Thanks

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
My dealership adviced me very strongly not to go with anything bigger other than the stock tires or using snow chains. They mentioned that there are too many wires and sensors behind the wheelwells that could get damaged. Apparently clearances are already very tight. Btw, I'm running a 2014 outback.

chuppie

Observer
My dealership adviced me very strongly not to go with anything bigger other than the stock tires or using snow chains. They mentioned that there are too many wires and sensors behind the wheelwells that could get damaged. Apparently clearances are already very tight. Btw, I'm running a 2014 outback.

I agree, The KO2s are the correct factory size. That is the only reason I'm considering it. If you go to the Tirerack site, you could review the specs for your OEM tire and the tires you are contemplating. On the Forester, it is 27" in diameter for the factory tire, the KO2 is 27" as well. The width is the same also. The KO2 are heavier though.

Hal43

I agree, The KO2s are the correct factory size. That is the only reason I'm considering it. If you go to the Tirerack site, you could review the specs for your OEM tire and the tires you are contemplating. On the Forester, it is 27" in diameter for the factory tire, the KO2 is 27" as well. The width is the same also. The KO2 are heavier though.

The weight is why I ended up with Yokohama Geolander G015's on my 2015 Outback. The KO2's are 10# per tire heavier than the stock tires. The Yokohama's are the same weight as the stock ones.

p nut

butter
The weight is why I ended up with Yokohama Geolander G015's on my 2015 Outback. The KO2's are 10# per tire heavier than the stock tires. The Yokohama's are the same weight as the stock ones.

KO2's will be heavier because they've got more rubber. Beefy sidewalls and more aggressive tread. Not saying Geolanders won't perform, but they're lighter for a reason. Having said that, for my Subaru, I wouldn't mind getting some Yoko Geo ATS'.

DanCooper

Adventurer
I put KO2s on my Outback last year. After 8000 miles (Alaska Highway to Poulsbo, WA, freeway to Birmingham, Alabama), the right rear was down to the wear bars, the left rear was almost as bad. Put on Geolanders. Drove home with them from Port Angeles. Like them better.

Don't get me wrong, I like the way the KO2s look and handle. The car looks totally butch with them on. But they were the wrong tire for what I wound up haveing to do, which was drive too many freeway miles on them. If all you are going to do is drive dirt and rock, probably much better. But the two highways you mentioned are not dirt and rock, they are gravel, and well maintained. Moreover, you are going to be driving thousands of highway miles to get to them. I would recommend getting something that is a M+S type tire, as it will be so much quieter and likely just as capable as what it sounds like you are going to do.

Best of luck!

p.s. This is all just for what it is worth. Others undoubtedly have different experiences. I succumbed to the look of the KO2s. Wish I had my money back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles