Anyone monitoring air intake temps?

nckwltn

Explorer
While out today, the outside air temps didn't go much above 90. While driving down the highway (60+ mph) my air intakes were very similar to outside air temp levels..... but when moving along in 4 low, my air intake temp was hitting 160.

I've got to think that a HUGE increase like that has got to be killing some power and efficiency... as well, the engine is likely running warmer because of it (although maybe just a few degrees).....

Thoughts? Really makes me think a snorkel would do wonders.

(this was in a '99 Gen 2.5)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I monitor my air intake via my Scan Gauge. I have a snorkel and the temperatures stay the same as the outside temperature. If your air intake is taking air from the engine compartment then your air temps are going to be 30+ degrees higher than ambient air temps.

Sounds like you have an air intake close to the front of your engine compartment so when you are moving at highway speeds the temps come down to normal, but as you say it doesn't help in traffic, also doesn't help when off road. Add the plus of having a higher air intake to reduce dust into the system and a snorkel makes good sense.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Not really an issue either way, I fill up with premium and allow the sensors to do their job. BTW, at lower speeds such as when using 4-lo your gains from a snorkel will be negligible and still not allow heat to escape the engine bay, as most of your "power" comes from gearing rather than engine hp. Adding hood vents would be far more beneficial than a snorkel, as they would allow for engine heat to dissipate and lower your IAT's at the same time.

nckwltn

Explorer
...at lower speeds such as when using 4-lo your gains from a snorkel will be negligible and still not allow heat to escape the engine bay...

something I read online indicated that every 10 degrees warmer you drop 1% in power 90 to 160 would be ~7%

although...... if you do evacuate the heat from the engine compartment, then the air coming in the standard intake would be cooler... a win win win!

MoabRefugee

Observer
something I read online indicated that every 10 degrees warmer you drop 1% in power 90 to 160 would be ~7%

although...... if you do evacuate the heat from the engine compartment, then the air coming in the standard intake would be cooler... a win win win!

I use Torque Pro with my Gen 3 to monitor IAT over Ambient. The Monteros intake feede,r located at the high pressure area of the hood, does a pretty good job if you are moving, however temps spike when the going gets slow. Radiant barrier on the intake is very likely going to happen, and seems that hood vents will happen as well when finances allow.

Given the 6g74's propensity to cook rubber o-rings and heats soak DS injectors, I am placing more of an emphasis on underhood temp reduction. For all I know, Water Wetter might accomplish the same thing...but then I wouldn't have an incentive to EVO'ise my hood. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles