Anyone modified their truck camper to fit Dirt Bikes?

amenges45

I like camping with our trailer as much as solo camping using my moto. Hiking and camping is also something I do every year..... Love being outside. To get back on topic... No way to haul heavier bikes well without extending the trailer or modding something .... Serious trade-offs that reduce mobility or range keep me from doing anything to our truck and trailer setup. Was intrigued tho with smaller and even electric off road machines. Trade-offs again!

nickw

Adventurer
I like camping with our trailer as much as solo camping using my moto. Hiking and camping is also something I do every year..... Love being outside. To get back on topic... No way to haul heavier bikes well without extending the trailer or modding something .... Serious trade-offs that reduce mobility or range keep me from doing anything to our truck and trailer setup. Was intrigued tho with smaller and even electric off road machines. Trade-offs again!
Agree - dirt bikes really change the dynamic of slide in camping....the only reasonable way is to have something like the Scout or 4WC with a) no overhang and b) relatively lightweight so you can use a hitch rack, but that really decreases mobility offroad, 100% requires a 3/4+ ton truck and you won't have access to the rear door unless you remove moto which is a PITA if your mid journey.

I think a small TT - 18-20' or a slide in + small enclosed moto trailer are probably the cleanest options....either way requires a trailer....

Willsfree

1612546193564.png
Rakattach shows a motocycle on hitchswing for standard hitch mount.
I have sent them an email to verify that it will be sufficient for my sub 300 pound 250cc bike.
I know that they were trying to design a model specifically for motorcycles, but perhaps hit a roadblock for liability.
I believe they sold their hitchswing design to Thule for bicycles and gear.
Does anyone have any idea for building or designing a better solution than this?

amenges45

View attachment 640474
I have sent them an email to verify that it will be sufficient for my sub 300 pound 250cc bike.
I know that they were trying to design a model specifically for motorcycles, but perhaps hit a roadblock for liability.
Does anyone have any idea for building or designing a better solution than this?
I have ideas but money and time both seem to be getting in the way!

amenges45

There's some pretty good components available that would make a very robust swing arm that I think could accommodate a 300 lb motorcycle very easily. The part I never wanted to mess with was actually attaching that to the frame similar to your bumper. The other part for us is that we tow a trailer which is a conqueror 490 and would require us to modify the frame of the trailer or move the hitch point rearward in such a way that we would be back to trade-offs. I'm happy to keep my activities separated with our current setup given a complexity of combining everything. Back to your question, it is doable and achievable with good components. Rough stuff specialties for example has some great components to make a do-it-yourself weld on swingarm. I just would not have a whole lot of faith in something rated for 300 lb when the bike alone weighs 250. Seems like it's cutting it close

slepe67

Lance's comments threw this whole thing out of whack.
I'm not sure why I feel like I need to explain myself, but here goes:

Sometimes I take my freshly restored pop up camper on weekend jaunts, or weeklong trips to places like Glacier NP or Yellowstone (where soft sides are permitted), where I do nothing but hike and fly fish.

Sometimes I take my 5th wheel to the same places, where I do nothing but hike and fly fish. It gets me access to places where only hard-sides are allowed. But it is a MAJOR PITA sometimes and really restricts where I can take/park it.

The major problem with towing a trailer is that I cannot take my drift boat, where I would float rivers like the Missouri, Yellowstone, Madison, Flathead, Swan, etc. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I wished I had my drift boat while driving past several legendary rivers. I'm very fortunate to line in MT, and this is a very "1st World" problem.

And finally, there are days where I would like to take the camper to the race track and my bikes, or even to places like Lewis & Clark Nat'l Forest, where TONS of people are out riding their machines.

My 12 yr old son just expressed to me that he would love to go to MOAB with his dirt bike. The option there would be to haul the bikes in the truck camper, and tow my drift boat, fishing and camping along the way. (not riding dirt bike at every camp site we stop at). The bikes are there for specific trips. Not EVERY trip.

///This is why I asked about other options///

Just because I said I was wanting to bring it all, doesn't mean I plan to ride everywhere where I camp, nor did I imply that I didn't hike or truly appreciate the great outdoors.

I'm a 6th generation Montanan. I get it.

So, can we GET BACK ON TRACK HERE?

slepe67

We designed our box to have a rear garage to hold two motorcycles and two bicycles, with a loft bed over it, and a powered "drawbridge" that serves as a back deck when horizontal, and serves as the first 8 feet of a motorcycle ramp when depressed below horizontal...
I just saw a few pics of your rig. Very impressive!

slepe67

This app is usually fairly accurate with dimensions, assuming you provide it the right scale measurement to start with. Not a F250 but I couldn't find a picture if a Project M on a 250 with a quick search.

View attachment 639817
This definitely help! I just found a Project M in Cody WY. For a Tacoma...$10,000!

I'm wondering about cutting the bottom off a full size (vintage) truck camper (like the Project M) and converting it for bike use...I think this is a moot point, and likely wont work...

slepe67

I've been at many a campsite where folks don't have motorcycles but have generators running most of the day because they are sitting on their butts watching TV.....maybe they'd be better off grabbing their moto and going exploring and seeing some cool stuff.

A pet peeve of mine.

Like I said a few posts above: Some days, I'll do a 12-mile hike to an alpine lake and expect to hear nothing but the wind blow through the trees, which is why I normally avoid RV campgrounds. The generators drive me insane.

Some days I'll drive to an OHV-type campsite and expect to hear fuel being turned into vapor.

Lance, if you saw my pop up, you'll notice how it's so basic and simple, I don't even have a power supply. It's 100% geared towards being in the great outdoors. No phones. No cameras. No refrigerator.

But sometimes, I want more. Yes, it is a good and bad problem to have.

I see your points and I get your intent, the way you went about it was rude and elitist.

This website is all about being outdoors, in any way, shape or form. To each their own. Live and let live.

It beats sitting on the couch, right?

Willsfree

1Up USA Customer Services wrote back:
"Below are some bullet points for the Moto RakAttach. Before ordering, we will need pictures of the vehicle receiver and vehicle make and model.

• Carrying capacity is 375 lb
  • Unit weight is 75 lb
  • Only available in Large Passenger swing
  • Secondary bracket (Inline or Offset) must be installed with Moto RakAttach"
Lightweight aluminum carrier (AMC-400 = 40 pounds).
KLR250 = 258 pounds dry.
RakAttach rating is for open and closed hitch
I sent them pics and hitch model etc...looks like a viable option for a swing away hitch for a motorcyle in-order to gain access to the rear doors.

Alloy

I just want to illustrate my point a bit further. I can get to any place you can get to on an ATV or dirt bike just by hiking. But, you cannot get to THIS place on either of those. I hike miles and miles into the wilderness and up to the tops of mountains to see sights like this that you will never see unless you put your feet on the ground. And, nothing destroys the beauty and peacefulness of this experience more than the sound of an ATV or dirt bike. But, I promise that you cannot hear me standing on this bluff.

I don't like the sound of an engine while hiking but I realize that I can't really point the finger at others after I drove miles through the woods to the trail head.

billiebob

View attachment 640474
I have trouble imagining a worse solution.

billiebob

Lance's comments threw this whole thing out of whack.
I'm not sure why I feel like I need to explain myself, but here goes:

Sometimes I take my freshly restored pop up camper on weekend jaunts, or weeklong trips to places like Glacier NP or Yellowstone (where soft sides are permitted), where I do nothing but hike and fly fish.

Sometimes I take my 5th wheel to the same places, where I do nothing but hike and fly fish. It gets me access to places where only hard-sides are allowed. But it is a MAJOR PITA sometimes and really restricts where I can take/park it.

The major problem with towing a trailer is that I cannot take my drift boat, where I would float rivers like the Missouri, Yellowstone, Madison, Flathead, Swan, etc. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I wished I had my drift boat while driving past several legendary rivers. I'm very fortunate to line in MT, and this is a very "1st World" problem.

And finally, there are days where I would like to take the camper to the race track and my bikes, or even to places like Lewis & Clark Nat'l Forest, where TONS of people are out riding their machines.

My 12 yr old son just expressed to me that he would love to go to MOAB with his dirt bike. The option there would be to haul the bikes in the truck camper, and tow my drift boat, fishing and camping along the way. (not riding dirt bike at every camp site we stop at). The bikes are there for specific trips. Not EVERY trip.

///This is why I asked about other options///

Just because I said I was wanting to bring it all, doesn't mean I plan to ride everywhere where I camp, nor did I imply that I didn't hike or truly appreciate the great outdoors.

I'm a 6th generation Montanan. I get it.

So, can we GET BACK ON TRACK HERE?
ya have to ignore the haters.....
there is button you can click to ignore them, way easier than replying, sometimes
ya have to ignore the haters

but I would seriously put it on the roof
if these guys can get 4 sleds on the roof
how hard can it be

DSCN2288.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles