Anyone modified their truck camper to fit Dirt Bikes?

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Troglodytes like these guys:
rover.jpg

You know, the team that designed and built an OHV (actually 3) for a ride on the moon, not to mention part of the team that also built a custom toyhauler to get them there?

Yeah, the "troglodyte" comment triggered me.:)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Just to throw another wrench in the gears... Would it be possible to continue to tow your trailer, put the bikes in the back of the truck and the boat on a boat rack?

LEa8qUU.jpg

Or what about a rack over the bikes on the pick up box?

Rack_mail.jpg

I guess it will be nice when Bikes, quads sxs all go electric... maybe solve the noise issue?

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I guess it will be nice when Bikes, quads sxs all go electric... maybe solve the noise issue?

It would solve the noise issue - and if battery technology ever gets good enough to give decent range, I'll be the first to jump on all electric vehicles. The older I get the more noise bothers me - got so now I wear ear plugs whenever I'm on the dirt bike, quad...even the John Deere.

But it goes much deeper than noise. There's a subset of people out there who, once they are out of the city and in the wilderness, want to see NOTHING but wilderness. That's why, when you see a wilderness boundary sign (lots of wilderness in my area), you'll see it prohibits things like bicycles and hand gliders. P1006914r.jpg

Worse, we are now experiencing what I call "Ecovandalism". I climbed (yes, I hike also) one of the peaks in a nearby mountain range and found this destruction to an emergency communications relay station solar panel. And then the idiot that did this had the gall to brag about it in the nearby Sierra Club Peaks register - stating how he/she hated the evidence of anything human!
DSC01714r.jpg

Willsfree

Interesting discussion about hiking vs powersports. I've been watching and hoping to learn best practices for hauling my motorcycle with my van. I'd like to see a swing away hitch carrier rated for a 300 pound bike (KLR250). Wilco Offroad and others have produced a few for bicycles and cargo, but have not certified one for motorcycles. I'd like to access the rear doors of my Express Van. Class 4 hitch installed. I've heard that I could have one fabricated. Does anybody know of a shop in the bay area to do this type of work?

Lance990

Observer
It would solve the noise issue - and if battery technology ever gets good enough to give decent range, I'll be the first to jump on all electric vehicles. The older I get the more noise bothers me - got so now I wear ear plugs whenever I'm on the dirt bike, quad...even the John Deere.

But it goes much deeper than noise. There's a subset of people out there who, once they are out of the city and in the wilderness, want to see NOTHING but wilderness. That's why, when you see a wilderness boundary sign (lots of wilderness in my area), you'll see it prohibits things like bicycles and hand gliders. View attachment 640108

Worse, we are now experiencing what I call "Ecovandalism". I climbed (yes, I hike also) one of the peaks in a nearby mountain range and found this destruction to an emergency communications relay station solar panel. And then the idiot that did this had the gall to brag about it in the nearby Sierra Club Peaks register - stating how he/she hated the evidence of anything human!
View attachment 640109

Well, that is just awful and unacceptable. I am a ham operator and I understand how important communication can be in an emergency. I did not mean to imply I was that much of an extremist. What that person did has nothing to do with noise pollution.

My original post was meant to be as much of a poking fun at someone as much as anything. When people started jumping on me about it, I got more defensive and I remember the many miserable camping and hiking experiences I've had relative to noise pollution.

As a goodwill gesture, I want provide a few links regarding the impact of noise on nature.

This one explains how noise can impact the natural world and how it is becoming a problem for animals that live there:

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/sound/soundsmatter.htm

This is a link to the most remote places in each state (something I am hoping to take advantage of):

This is a map of the quietest places in America:

Another article on the the last place on earth without noise:

billiebob

I've seen sidexsides over truck cabs, must be a way to park a dirt bike up there.

th598003-fb_25_1000.jpg

Heck getting it up there would be half the fun..... 2:12 in the video.... why leave town eh?

Last edited:

ericvs

I love the direction this thread took, but in an attempt to derail the derail have you seen this?

nickw

Adventurer
Well, that is just awful and unacceptable. I am a ham operator and I understand how important communication can be in an emergency. I did not mean to imply I was that much of an extremist. What that person did has nothing to do with noise pollution.

My original post was meant to be as much of a poking fun at someone as much as anything. When people started jumping on me about it, I got more defensive and I remember the many miserable camping and hiking experiences I've had relative to noise pollution.

As a goodwill gesture, I want provide a few links regarding the impact of noise on nature.

This one explains how noise can impact the natural world and how it is becoming a problem for animals that live there:

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/sound/soundsmatter.htm

This is a link to the most remote places in each state (something I am hoping to take advantage of):

This is a map of the quietest places in America:

Another article on the the last place on earth without noise:

You on a very thin ice with your argument since you have a gas powered rig that you drive to get to remote trailheads. You need to be a bit more self reflective. From your perspective, moto's are obnoxious. From my buddies perspective who lives on a bit of land, grows much of his own food, is a vegetarian and doesn't own a car and hates that he has to battle big RV's on the road whilst trying to ride his bike, your lifestyle is obnoxious. What about some of the folks that live on these rural roads you visit, I'm sure they'd gladly do without the traffic, yours or others, after all it's their backyard why do that have to deal with you coming out to visit it? It's all relative and pretty shortsighted on your part not to recognize that.

I've been at many a campsite where folks don't have motorcycles but have generators running most of the day because they are sitting on their butts watching TV.....maybe they'd be better off grabbing their moto and going exploring and seeing some cool stuff.

When I was in Alaska the only (reasonable) way to get around is via bush plane, obvious noise pollution, but you'd be hard pressed to get to remote lakes by foot, possible, sure, with a crew of Sherpas.

The number of nature areas that don't allow motorized vehicles to ones that do is 5000:1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles