Anyone modified their truck camper to fit Dirt Bikes?

Lance990

Observer
I just want to illustrate my point a bit further. I can get to any place you can get to on an ATV or dirt bike just by hiking. But, you cannot get to THIS place on either of those. I hike miles and miles into the wilderness and up to the tops of mountains to see sights like this that you will never see unless you put your feet on the ground. And, nothing destroys the beauty and peacefulness of this experience more than the sound of an ATV or dirt bike. But, I promise that you cannot hear me standing on this bluff.
IMG_0082 resize.jpg

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
He asked for advice on campers and how to haul all of his gas-fired toys and I gave him mine. Instead of attacking me, why don't you offer him some of your precious advice? Do you have anything valuable to add to this post or are you just looking for a fight?
He did ask for advice. Not criticism.

"Dude, save some recreation for the rest of us. I mean, it's good to just go camping and hiking. No need for all the toys. Simplify your life a little. "

I can agree with you somewhat, but there are places where OHV's are not allowed to go. I like to camp, boat, hike, bike, OHV ride and just sit in the woods for fun. I've figured out though, that there are places where I can maximize my experience for all those activities, and that is how I choose to recreate. While I had a small cruiser in the past, I've moved on to Kayaks (they are cheaper to maintain). But, I digress.

The problem with hauling toys is a problem of balance. It's all a trade-off - either space, comfort, vehicle size and or amenities. While a slide-in camper concept seems nice, it trades away from the amenities of living space when you make it cargo space. Don't even think about 'windage', it looks pretty scary on that giant, flat-sided slide in that overwhelms the carry vehicle. I'm a fan of the toyhauler, but the tradeoff is access to remote areas - the kinds of places that Lance990 should go to.

crazysccrmd

Observer
I just want to illustrate my point a bit further. I can get to any place you can get to on an ATV or dirt bike just by hiking. But, you cannot get to THIS place on either of those. I hike miles and miles into the wilderness and up to the tops of mountains to see sights like this that you will never see unless you put your feet on the ground. And, nothing destroys the beauty and peacefulness of this experience more than the sound of an ATV or dirt bike. But, I promise that you cannot hear me standing on this bluff.
View attachment 640049

I've used an ATV to cover what would've taken days to hike in a single day of riding and then hiked another couple days out beyond that to places you'd never get to on foot otherwise. Your opinion is not a fact.

I'll see your pleasant quiet solitude and raise you the pleasant quiet solitude of being further away from people by using an ATV.

IMG_20170908_191506~2.jpg

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I'll see your pleasant quiet solitude and raise you the pleasant quiet solitude of being further away from people by using an ATV.

I was about to make that exact point. I sometimes camp off my SxS to get further away from people. Also, there are places where OHV's are not allowed, but you can still hike into and camp.

Lance990

Observer
As usual, the troglodytes miss the point. You guys are completely unaware of how what you do affects other people and you are unapologetic. I am completely aware of how what I do affects other people and I recognize my responsibility to tread softly so I don't overstep my freedom and start interfering with yours. There is no such thing as freedom without boundaries. I am drawing a line and you guys are saying "******** your line!". Unbelievable.

Lance990

Observer
You sound like a very angry person. Carry on.

I am a peaceful person. Gas engines disturb that peace. So, it does make me irritable. I am advocating for MORE peace and everyone else seems to be advocating for less. The world is a noisy place, but it doesn't have to be. That's my point.

Lance990

Observer
I've used an ATV to cover what would've taken days to hike in a single day of riding and then hiked another couple days out beyond that to places you'd never get to on foot otherwise. Your opinion is not a fact.

View attachment 640059

You seem like a lazy person. Put your feet on the ground and hike out there and you might enjoy the scenery more on the way out there. Why are you so "destination-oriented"? The journey is the best part.

Lance990

Observer
What is the solution when your "freedom to make noise" clashes with my "freedom from noise"? How do we resolve this?

deserteagle56

Adventurer
As usual, the troglodytes miss the point. You guys are completely unaware of how what you do affects other people and you are unapologetic. I am completely aware of how what I do affects other people and I recognize my responsibility to tread softly so I don't overstep my freedom and start interfering with yours. There is no such thing as freedom without boundaries. I am drawing a line and you guys are saying "******** your line!". Unbelievable.

It's great that you are physically capable of doing those hikes....but a lot of people aren't. So if you don't want to hear the sound of an engine - like the one you drove to the trailhead - hike only in wilderness areas where motors aren't allowed.

crazysccrmd

Observer
You seem like a lazy person. Put your feet on the ground and hike out there and you might enjoy the scenery more on the way out there. Why are you so "destination-oriented"? The journey is the best part.

Yep, so lazy that I will do 50 miles hiking in a weekend at 11,000 feet in a wilderness area.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Wow, Troglodytes? So, it's your way, or everyone else is just Neanderthal?

What is the solution when your "freedom to make noise" clashes with my "freedom from noise"? How do we resolve this?

Did you even understand what I wrote? Here, let me reiterate:

Also, there are places where OHV's are not allowed, but you can still hike into and camp.

Hiking 25 miles per day at elevation is not something everyone can or wants to do. It's great that this is what you do, but I mean, you gotta realize that it's somewhat unique, right?

Can' we all just get along?

Last edited:

crazysccrmd

Observer

I think you are completely missing the point that people enjoy recreation in different ways. I have a boat with a motor and a kayak. Two different tools useful for different things. I have a motorcycle and a bicycle, two different tools for different things. Truck, ATV, feet, airplane, whatever you want - all different tools for things. I have quite literally taken boats, planes and ATVs places where you would have to hike for weeks or even months to reach on foot, but I guess that makes me lazy for using different tools to get the job done. There are tons and tons of places where it is completely illegal to take powered equipment out to and I very much enjoy hiking in those areas for the peace and quiet. I also fully understand that if I'm out in a place that ATVs/dirtbikes/etc are legal then I might hear or see them while I'm hiking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles