Anyone modified their truck camper to fit Dirt Bikes?

slepe67

Hey,

Looking for info about modifiying a truck camper for use as a camper AND dirt bike hauler for those trips.

FWC's "Project M" loks good, but isnt a full camper. Has anyone has built one for their own needs.

I own a late-model F250 4x4, leveled on 35s. Nothing special. I have a 5th wheel for the campgrounds. I'm not a fan, but the wife sure is.

I just restored a 1974 Coleman Pop-Up. https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/1974-coleman-valley-forge-complete-gut-job.204401/
It's great and I'm happy with it; BUT some points to ponder:
PRO: I can haul dirt bikes when I go camping with the trailer
CON: I cant tow my drift boat.
PRO: It's 100% brand new AND it's paid for.
CON: The tiny wheels and tires are always on my mind when driving. I went through 3 brand new ties last summer. I could upgrade to bigger springs and tires...Montana's roads can be brutal...even the paved ones!

Then I saw FWC's "Project M"...

In a perfect world, I could put my 2006 RM250 and my son's TTR110 in the camper and hook up the drift boat and go.

Can that be done with the Project M? Seems like it may be a bit low for the bigger bike's handlebars?

Has anyone built a version of their own Project M? I've seen a few pop up campers in my area for sale, fairly cheap. Was wondering if I could cut off the bottom half (below the bed rails) and shore it up with 2x12s, similar to what's on the Project M?

I have also pondered a full hard sided truck camper, remodeled along-the-likes of the SCOUT KENAI...but not sure I'd be able to get my bikes in there.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

slepe67

Here's one example. Albeit a bit much for my taste/needs.

MTVR

We designed our box to have a rear garage to hold two motorcycles and two bicycles, with a loft bed over it, and a powered "drawbridge" that serves as a back deck when horizontal, and serves as the first 8 feet of a motorcycle ramp when depressed below horizontal...

slepe67

Dude, save some recreation for the rest of us. I mean, it's good to just go camping and hiking. No need for all the toys. Simplify your life a little. You are the reason I have to drive so far into the wilderness to get away from all of the noise.

And yeah, I like to get "out there" also. There's a time and a place for everything.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Dude, save some recreation for the rest of us. I mean, it's good to just go camping and hiking. No need for all the toys. Simplify your life a little. You are the reason I have to drive so far into the wilderness to get away from all of the noise.

Some of us like to take trips and do multiple things while on it. I've done it plenty of times with friends where someone tows the boat and someone tows the ATVs and we have a good week of fishing and hunting. I've also done it where we park the truck and walk for 50 miles with a backpack.

crazysccrmd

Observer
This app is usually fairly accurate with dimensions, assuming you provide it the right scale measurement to start with. Not a F250 but I couldn't find a picture if a Project M on a 250 with a quick search.

Screenshot_20210201-082308.png

Lance990

Observer
Some of us like to take trips and do multiple things while on it. I've done it plenty of times with friends where someone tows the boat and someone tows the ATVs and we have a good week of fishing and hunting. I've also done it where we park the truck and walk for 50 miles with a backpack.

You are absolutely free to do whatever you want, whenever you want and how you want. I am not trying to restrict anyone's freedom. But, if you post about it on here, I can comment on it however I choose. We are both free to do as we see fit in different ways. I just don't derive any benefit from making a bunch of noise in the woods. As long as you respect the rights of other people to be free from the noise of gasoline engines when they seek peace and solitude in nature then we can all get along. I have had very few complaints (zero) about being quiet and hiking a trail in nature. We all go into nature for different reasons but I contend that my way is less intrusive. Can we agree on that? Just as long as we are mindful of each other's reasons for being out there, we can all enjoy it. The OP's main point in his post was the problems he is having transporting all of his toys around to his campsites. My advice was to simplify and to try to enjoy nature without them. There are two ways to be happy: increase your means or diminish your wants and both are valid.

MTVR

You are absolutely free to do whatever you want, whenever you want and how you want. I am not trying to restrict anyone's freedom. But, if you post about it on here, I can comment on it however I choose. We are both free to do as we see fit in different ways. I just don't derive any benefit from making a bunch of noise in the woods. As long as you respect the rights of other people to be free from the noise of gasoline engines when they seek peace and solitude in nature then we can all get along. I have had very few complaints (zero) about being quiet and hiking a trail in nature. We all go into nature for different reasons but I contend that my way is less intrusive. Can we agree on that? Just as long as we are mindful of each other's reasons for being out there, we can all enjoy it. The OP's main point in his post was the problems he is having transporting all of his toys around to his campsites. My advice was to simplify and to try to enjoy nature without them. There are two ways to be happy: increase your means or diminish your wants and both are valid.

Paragraphs, dude...paragraphs...

UHAULER

Explorer
He asked for advice on a camper, not how to recreate.
If you don't like the sound of motorcycles, maybe you ought to get out farther in the woods where there aren't any.

Lance990

Observer
He asked for advice on a camper, not how to recreate.
If you don't like the sound of motorcycles, maybe you ought to get out farther in the woods where there aren't any.
He asked for advice on campers and how to haul all of his gas-fired toys and I gave him mine. Instead of attacking me, why don't you offer him some of your precious advice? Do you have anything valuable to add to this post or are you just looking for a fight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles