anyone make bunk beds in the back of their suburban?

hpierce301

Adventurer
i was wondering if anyone had used the back with a small lift so a kid could sleep on top w/ maybe mom and dad under. not all the way to shoulder height, but maybe high waist?

ratled

Adventurer
If they can do it in tear drops (Runaway campers out of FL) I don't see why not try?
Good luck!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Back in the 1990s there were custom coach builders who were making Suburbans with a raised top (similar to what you see on some van conversions.) I've only ever seen them on GMT-400 Suburbans though (1991 - 1999.) Seems like an interesting idea but apparently it never caught on because I haven't seen them since.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Yes, I tried a similar to bunk bed setup in the back for one roadtrip. I made an elevated platform for the kids to sleep on all the way at the back of the Sub and my wife and I had our feet under that platform when we slept in the back. I'll try to re-create what I had and take a couple pics.

We didn't like that setup because I use a 8" futon mattress in the back to sleep on and the platform was way too close to our feet, wasn't comfortable.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I alwaus thought a good way to sleep a couple of kids or one adult in the burb was hammock running between the drivers and passengers door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior