Anyone know of a trailer jack with a 1-1/2" receiver hitch mount?

SBSYNCRO

I'm trying to source a trailer jack like this one:

But instead of a pipe mount, I want a mount for a 1-1/2" receiver tongue. Other than fabbing something myself with a welder, has anyone seen something like this?

jwiereng

I'm trying to source a trailer jack like this one:

But instead of a pipe mount, I want a mount for a 1-1/2" receiver tongue. Other than fabbing something myself with a welder, has anyone seen something like this?

What is your plan for using a square mount? Curious

NatersXJ6

Explorer
What you are asking exists for 2” receiver mounts. I’ve not seen a 1-1/2” receiver before, nor have I seen a trailer jack with a 1-1/4” square mount.

Although I also realize this thread is months old. Did you solve your problem?

SBSYNCRO

No solution yet. I have a Turtleback trailer and on the front of the frame there are two square tubes welded to the frame that were originally intended as lift points for a military contract. They are about 2’ back from the tongue. I’m hoping to be able to utilize them as front stabilizing points because the tongue jack arrangement that comes with the trailer is not very stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBSYNCRO

2428d8498ee3d3f366b734bca025ea13.jpg

d0e055c33ec4c01c85471cb62812d655.jpg

billiebob

ahh.... but I can't picture it being more stable than the jack already mounted unless you weld it solid... which creates other issues

SBSYNCRO

The existing jack uses a circular mount with pin and has a lot of slop

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Is the tube 1-1/2 inside or outside? That would be really easy to make a mount for. If you use them both, it will be much more stable than the existing single tongue Jack. Using a tongue Jack gives easy crank up and down ability, but they could also be used as pivot points for flip-down legs that you could lower onto with the tongue Jack. Those could be much tighter and thus more stable. Do you have adjustable rear stabilizers too?

jwiereng

Can you weld? seems like this would not be a difficult welding project.

maybe you can bring your idea to a local weld shop

seems like some kind of rubber/urethane coating. Probably best to get down the hard metal, for a snug fit. Maybe you could just add a set screw on your round jack to take up some of the sloppyness. Or weld a grind to get a snug fit.

SBSYNCRO

I can weld but alas, have no equipment. And around where I live in Bougie Central CA a welder would probably charge $1,500 for something.

But you’re right this should be simple and would be MUCH more stable than my wobbly single jack

jwiereng

I can weld but alas, have no equipment. And around where I live in Bougie Central CA a welder would probably charge $1,500 for something.

But you’re right this should be simple and would be MUCH more stable than my wobbly single jack

perhaps someone on this forum who live close to you can offer you a little favour. Maybe trade them, let them use your trailer for a long weekend.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer

In fairness to the local welder, that $1500 is probably broken down into $800 for 4’ of steel, $500 to PG&E (Price Gouging & Extortion?) for electrons, $200 to alimony…. A legit business expense!

I recommend that you go to Harbor Freight or similar and grab a 1-1/4” to 2” adapter. If that fits in there, you have a good starting point to weld solid legs on. Personally, I would figure out my desired height, make solid, removable legs that I carry somewhere else, lift the front with the tongue Jack, set it down in the solid legs, then level with jacks on the back.

If you pass through my neck of the woods and have the steel with you, I will buzz them out for you no problem, but I’ll need a few days warning.

SBSYNCRO

In fairness to the local welder, that $1500 is probably broken down into $800 for 4’ of steel, $500 to PG&E (Price Gouging & Extortion?) for electrons, $200 to alimony…. A legit business expense!

I recommend that you go to Harbor Freight or similar and grab a 1-1/4” to 2” adapter. If that fits in there, you have a good starting point to weld solid legs on. Personally, I would figure out my desired height, make solid, removable legs that I carry somewhere else, lift the front with the tongue Jack, set it down in the solid legs, then level with jacks on the back.

If you pass through my neck of the woods and have the steel with you, I will buzz them out for you no problem, but I’ll need a few days warning.

Thanks. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a local welder charging that, given the cost of living around here. It's just more than I am willing to pay to solve this issue.

The big challenge with this trailer is that on 35's it sits up very high. I usually camp in uneven terrain, which means shimming one tire, making it even farther off the ground. There is a single stand in the back (a square tube with holes drilled to make it adjustable) and it is usually at MAX height (and thus very wobbly). Then the single sloppy jack in the front. The whole arrangement is so wobbly (even with the tires chocked very firmly) that if I'm sharing the RTT with my son or my wife, the slightest movement by either of us, sets the whole thing rocking enough to wake the other person. With the setup you see below (from this past weekend) I could easily move the tongue back and forth about 8" due to the slop in that front tongue jack.

65905481623__D31286DB-DA12-40B4-BD75-08EA03DE11FF.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles