Anyone know about Port-Lite campers

SootyCamper

For the ExP2 there should be at least a water tank upgrade. 30gals goes quick and would severely limit the usable time away. Given there is minor difference in weight between the One and Two there will be able payload for a bigger water tank. Unless the flat bed is a monster.

Steve_382

So, there haven't been any posts on here for over 18 months. But if you look at their Facebook page, it looks like they are doing something. Anyone talked to them? Looks like they are doing vacuum infused glasswork, so maybe they know what they are doing.

billiebob

I agree with the critics of the prototype. When you build something the same size as the competitions..... its gonna weigh the same once loaded and on the road. If you want something 500# lighter than whats on the market it'll either be missing several things or be exponentially more expensive since it will need to use a lot of new weight loss technology and hardware. Hard to find 30 gallons of water lighter than the 30 gallons of water in the competitions RVs. The big issue is will that light weight new camper be as durable as the less expensive proven mass produced traditional unit.

The first Tesla are a great example. Musk nailed it with a successful revolutionary design..... and you paid a premium for it. But the Port Lite is not even production ready. Don't open your cheque book. This is one of the thousands of start ups which could evaporate overnite.

I could find nothing to indicate they are close to building, selling the first 100 units. Altho 2 years ago they sounded optimistic.
Has anyone taken delivery yet?

Last edited:

billiebob

Definitely built for only 2, the convertible dinette is only a single, I always wonder why everyone wants a 5 passenger QuadCab.

Running Griz

I have talked to the owners of Port-Lite, saw them at the Expo East this year and talked to Them about seeing a production unit in person. I live in Maine and plan to see the current builds in January. The unit you see in the video is his personal one, he’s been using it for 3+ years. His construction methods are well used in the sailing/yacht building industry and that where his experience came from.
Exp 1- the length on his green build you see is basically 6.5 plus the taper of 2’ =8.5’ on bed plus cab over.

exp 2- length is 8-8.5’ plus 2’ taper plus cab over.
Weight will be around 1800 lbs dry, the flatbed is by Duramag that is included in his pricing.(basic flatbed, boxes, skirts, extra)

advantages of his methods of building
Very strong
Light
Repeatable once molds for both versions are dialed in.

empty shell he will build/sell.

boat builder in maine you could have inspect his work if strength is a c

disadvantages I see if people want to change a few things:
With 2 specific molds, they will not modify or change placement of any doors, Windows, openings, storage, and interior builds will follow the same layout

Storing mtn bikes and gear inside is a must for me so I’m looking at options to see if a aluminum box between shell and cab of truck is wide enough, full width.

from what I know, zero production units have been finished

business is husband and wife, not a large team since just started building these.

pricing is around 80-90k based on model, I suspect this will-rise slightly if materials go up again in 2022.

Shower is only an option on Exp 2 model, I was thinking of an entry pan at door when looking at the Exp 1 in person this fall.

anyone want more info reach out.

Eric

Steve_382

Storing mtn bikes and gear inside is a must for me so I’m looking at options to see if a aluminum box between shell and cab of truck is wide enough, full width.

Eric

I agree with the bike storage problem, but there are solutions that can be mounted on the outside. I talked to https://www.alumline.com/products/boxes/aluminum-custom-boxes and they will make any size box you want. There is also https://letsgoaero.com/blackbox-pro-slideout-enclosed-carrier/ who make enclosed bike carriers large enough to hold 4 bikes and other stuff. If everything else about a camper is good, I would be willing to go with external storage.

1640124092695.png

Steve_382

Let's Go Aero BlackBox. Not cheap, but large. One advantage to outside storage is that if you are going on a trip (skiing?) and don't need the space, you can just leave it at home.

1640124356126.png

Ninelitetrip

I have been trading emails with them for a week or so, and will visit their shop sometime this winter to see what they have going on. They seem pretty receptive.

look forward to what you think. Maybe some photographs if you can not much out there. I spend time in that area, it would be handy to have a local product.

Ninelitetrip

I have talked to the owners of Port-Lite, saw them at the Expo East this year and talked to Them about seeing a production unit in person. I live in Maine and plan to see the current builds in January. The unit you see in the video is his personal one, he’s been using it for 3+ years. His construction methods are well used in the sailing/yacht building industry and that where his experience came from.
Exp 1- the length on his green build you see is basically 6.5 plus the taper of 2’ =8.5’ on bed plus cab over.

exp 2- length is 8-8.5’ plus 2’ taper plus cab over.
Weight will be around 1800 lbs dry, the flatbed is by Duramag that is included in his pricing.(basic flatbed, boxes, skirts, extra)

advantages of his methods of building
Very strong
Light
Repeatable once molds for both versions are dialed in.

empty shell he will build/sell.

boat builder in maine you could have inspect his work if strength is a c

disadvantages I see if people want to change a few things:
With 2 specific molds, they will not modify or change placement of any doors, Windows, openings, storage, and interior builds will follow the same layout

from what I know, zero production units have been finished

business is husband and wife, not a large team since just started building these.

pricing is around 80-90k based on model, I suspect this will-rise slightly if materials go up again in 2022.

Shower is only an option on Exp 2 model, I was thinking of an entry pan at door when looking at the Exp 1 in person this fall.

anyone want more info reach out.

Eric

Count me intrigued, I think it's great to have a local product come to market and not have to travel halfway across the country to purchase a similar product. Large skill set available in Maine. BIW down the road, boat builders like John's Bay Boat Company in South Bristol, AWOL Adventure rigs in Cushing, and Windsor Chairmakers in Lincolnville. Locally produced flatbed included in the base price, another plus.

The owner certainly has the skillset with that background. So can he spin up production and survive?

Look forward to more information as it becomes available. When I get back north I will have to plan a visit to Alna.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles