Anyone in Socal with a roof top tent

mrchips

Adventurer
IMG_0732.jpg

Maggiolina Airlander on AT Chaser, this is the extra long model, works great for my wife and I. I have also moved this around with the tent deployed to find better camp sites, and it holds up great.
I had an Eezi Awn before this, did not like the wind making the tent flap all night long. This setup is great for me.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I'm still checking this thread, but don't have much to add to it right now. Been busy trying to rebuild my transmission so I can test it out next month. I have been browsing craigslist and starting to see used ones pop up once in a while, and new ones are dropping in price pretty rapidly it seems. Hoping to score a deal on a used one, but if not I already have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking to get now. One more question, how does everyone store their tents when not in use? Do you leave it on the car or take it on/off for each trip? I could leave it on, but it seems like everything left outside in SoCal gets destroyed away by UV damage within a year.

Southwest Chuck,

That's a pretty cool setup. I have the same con-ferr rack, I never really thought about putting a tent on top of it, I just assumed I'd be putting the tent in place of it.

Southwest Chuck,

That's a pretty cool setup. I have the same con-ferr rack, I never really thought about putting a tent on top of it, I just assumed I'd be putting the tent in place of it.

Thanks. Originally, I took the rack off and just put the tent on top. I found out pretty quick that it really limited the amount of gear I could carry and turned my XJ into a 2 seater, since I had to put down the back seat to fit all my gear. I ran across the low profile military case (Viper Rocket Case) at a surplus store that fit perfectly inside the rack. So I just built the swing-up cross-bar rack to clear it (both are removable, too). It's held down with 2 adjustable latches that have a secondary safety catch as well and also locks closed for security with an American 2000 (hocky puck style) padlock. Instead of using standard hinges, I used a large, full width (1/4" shafted) piano hinge for strength and support.

As for the Con-ferr Rack, I reinforced it so it has 12 mounting points now instead of just the six gutter mounts that it came with by adding 6 more in-board mounting points to the stock roof-rack rail. It's a really solid set-up....
I can take some better pics of it if you're interested in making one, or since your not to far from me, give me a holler when your going to be in my area to take an up close gander.

Also, in addition to the weather-proof storage in the case, I carry: 2 chairs, a roll up table, a lantern, and a propane stove up there (and still have some room left), around the case and everything is easily accessible :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Thanks to everyone for their input. Just gave myself an early Xmas present with a Tepui Autana Sky. Hoping to get out soon to put it to use, but couldn't resist setting it up in the middle of San Francisco to try it out. Thought about spending the night out there, but with all the drunk people walking around at night I thought maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

20141012_111309.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles