Anyone in Socal with a roof top tent

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
That wants to show it off to a stranger? Preferably in the SGV/Pasadena/LA area. Or if you know of any stores that carry it or better yet, rents them.

Iv'e always wanted a car top camper since i was a kid reading the old Popular Mechanics books, and lately the urge to buy a RTT has been getting out of control. It's gotten to the point where I've been laying on top of my roof trying to imagine it. I've read a lot of reviews and seen a lot of pictures, but before spending a bunch of cash I'd like to see one in person so I know what I'm getting into. I'm leaning towards the standard Tepui/ARB style tents, but I'm also interested in seeing the flip up style (i.e Roosttent) or the pop up (like the maggiolina). So if anyone is local and wouldn't mind meeting up for a quick demo, even in a parking lot, let me know.

crismateski

American Adventurist
Larry is a great guy, and has an awesome rig, but I dont think he is daily driving it to the shop anymore, might want to give him a call first. Either way it is worth heading out to see him. I would say your best bet is to watch for the next Orange county meet and greet or head down to san diego for the fiesta island meet and greet I think it is Aug 23

Cleand

Adventurer
I am located in la crescenta. I have a RTT on my trailer. You are more than welcome to come by and check it out.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I have a Maggiolina Airlander if you want to check it out but I'm in the San Diego area. I'll more than likely be at the Fiesta Island Meet & Greet which might be easier if you are going.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
I too was going to suggest a Meet 'n Greet or Fiesta Island. What vehicle do you have? Like almost everything in life, RTT have advantages and disadvantages. You definitely want to know the downsides before dropping the cash.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Thanks for all the responses. I wish I knew about dirtyparts last weekend, I was in that area and probably passed by the place without knowing it. I'll try and make it to one of those meet and greets one of these days.

I am located in la crescenta. I have a RTT on my trailer. You are more than welcome to come by and check it out.

Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you. What type of tent do you have?

I too was going to suggest a Meet 'n Greet or Fiesta Island. What vehicle do you have? Like almost everything in life, RTT have advantages and disadvantages. You definitely want to know the downsides before dropping the cash.

Right now I'd be using it on my FJ40, but in the future I'm looking to get a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon or 4runner, or possibly a used 100 series land cruiser. I need something with enough room for 2 growing kids. You're right I definitely need to know all the pro's and con's before buying. I've been reading reviews as much as possible, but this is one of those things that has to be seen in person.

I talked to the owner of tentsonarack.com yesterday, I found out he's local to me. But he doesn't have a showroom right now to actually display the tents, so we're trying to make some other arrangements. I also just looked at the Tepui tents and I really like their sky models. I think for the type of camping I do and the mild weather we have in California those would be perfect. I travel to the Bay area often enough that I could go pick it up at their store.

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Definitely keep us posted on your findings and decisions as I too have thought about a RTT but haven't pulled the trigger so far- having a dog plus three people complicates things in my case.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I have an FJ which is a great platform for this tent. I bought sight unseen and it was a difficult thing for me to do. I usually like to check things out before purchasing but had enough reliable recommendations that I took the leap. I research the heck out of all my purchases and didn't have a doubt here. Hard case (fiberglass) is much better even though it costs more. Easier to clean and better gas mileage since this is on my daily driver.

736A7325.jpg

PIC4GODRTT.jpg

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
Looks like you can now rent an RTT (Maggiolina) or teardrop trailer. They also have accessories to rent like fridges. Their prices are reasonable. Check them out: http://www.rentoffthegrid.com/ I have no affiliation with them and haven't used them but it seems like a good deal to try them out.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I really like the Maggiolinas, who sells them in the US (West coast)? Do they really cost $5k+? :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles