Anyone having issues with KO2's?

ratled

Adventurer
I'm having an issue and it might be because of my KO2's. They only have 6,000 miles on them and the issue started when they only had about 3,000 miles on them. Before I state the issue I was wondering if there are any known issues with the KO2 or if some one has experienced an issue with KO2s. I'm not talking about the odd replacement of a single tire but having to replace set.

Thanks in advance
ratled

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
When I worked at 4WP years ago had multiple customers return KO2’s for vibration. Also had some brand new ones that wouldn’t balance. Had more
Problems with them than other tires but they are also very popular so might just be that we installed more of them so saw more problems. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whododat

I had them on two different Ram 1500's and the only issue I had was on the second Ram. They seemed to become unbalanced and when I took them to the shop, they were in fact out of balance. No other issues other than that.

jadmt

ignore button user
I'm having an issue and it might be because of my KO2's. They only have 6,000 miles on them and the issue started when they only had about 3,000 miles on them. Before I state the issue I was wondering if there are any known issues with the KO2 or if some one has experienced an issue with KO2s. I'm not talking about the odd replacement of a single tire but having to replace set.

Thanks in advance
ratled
what size tires? What issues are you having? modifications? I have run them with no issues but only in 34x10.5-17 on my jkur. They were very smooth and quiet and gripped well in the winter.

SVTRIT

Rotation and balance is very important with KO2’s. Otherwise, they are fantastic. We run them on much of our fleet, which work mostly off-road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ratled

Adventurer
The issue I have is at 3,000 miles I got a nasty and instant vibration like death wobble on the freeway. I pulled over and found nothing was wrong. Drove off and was fine for awhile. A couple of days later the same thing but have it settled down the =re was in creased feedback through the steering. I took it to the off road shop that put in the 2" 4 coil lift. After a full inspection were not able to find anyhtign wrong and asked If I had done anything to the Jeep since the lift. When I told him the KO2 he said that was it.

The did a full balance , alignment and rotated the tires to match based on balance weights. My said there is a reason that Jeep suddenly dumped BFG as OEM on the JL and that this is a known issue with the KO2s the last couple of years. He said if happens again to do a visual inspection and rotate the tires. If that if that doesn't solve it to take them back.

I do a 5 tire rotation every 4,000 miles on the old stock tires. This time when it happened the rotation didn't work and is more frequent than last time. I have been checking around and there are issues with the KO2s over the last couple of years. When a set has this issue it seems the only way to solve it is to replace them. I was hoping someone here had a better solution. I did get them from the stealership so no matter where I was I would be able to get one should I need it whereever I was. I guess I'm going to have to take it to them and see what they say.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Death Wobble is just a jeep thing

My F250 begs to differ ... violently begs.

However, my Jeep eats tires faster and worse than any vehicle I’ve ever owned. Usually 2 rotations per oil change if I want them to last more than 30K miles. I wouldn’t take a single shop technicians word for it though. What caused the imbalance? Did rubber suddenly move through the tire? More likely you threw some of the sticky weights from inside the wheel. My Jk started losing them at about 4 years old, so i peeled them all off and started from zero. Much better now.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I had them on my 06 Sierra 1500. Less than 20,000 miles and 3 of them were separated. Garbage tires if you ask me. My set prior was just as bad on m 08 JK.

I likely will never buy another set of BFGoodrich tires.

jadmt

ignore button user
The issue I have is at 3,000 miles I got a nasty and instant vibration like death wobble on the freeway. I pulled over and found nothing was wrong. Drove off and was fine for awhile. A couple of days later the same thing but have it settled down the =re was in creased feedback through the steering. I took it to the off road shop that put in the 2" 4 coil lift. After a full inspection were not able to find anyhtign wrong and asked If I had done anything to the Jeep since the lift. When I told him the KO2 he said that was it.

The did a full balance , alignment and rotated the tires to match based on balance weights. My said there is a reason that Jeep suddenly dumped BFG as OEM on the JL and that this is a known issue with the KO2s the last couple of years. He said if happens again to do a visual inspection and rotate the tires. If that if that doesn't solve it to take them back.

I do a 5 tire rotation every 4,000 miles on the old stock tires. This time when it happened the rotation didn't work and is more frequent than last time. I have been checking around and there are issues with the KO2s over the last couple of years. When a set has this issue it seems the only way to solve it is to replace them. I was hoping someone here had a better solution. I did get them from the stealership so no matter where I was I would be able to get one should I need it whereever I was. I guess I'm going to have to take it to them and see what they say.
So have you re-torqued everything since the lift? Every control arm nut and bolt and track bars etc all need to be re-torqued. people often forget this and it makes a difference. I do not know how many times I have people tell me they started having issues and I had them come over and pulled out the torque wrench and found the track bar bolts have loosened. I have also found loose control arm bolts.

ratled

Adventurer
So have you re-torqued everything since the lift? Every control arm nut and bolt and track bars etc all need to be re-torqued. people often forget this and it makes a difference. I do not know how many times I have people tell me they started having issues and I had them come over and pulled out the torque wrench and found the track bar bolts have loosened. I have also found loose control arm bolts.
Torque and tighten performed twice by a stand alone off road only shop. Nothing moved.

What I am finding out is the KO2s are very tough to balance and that even just normal wear and tear can throw it off. For unknown reasons some sets are more sensitive than others. I was hoping to find some info to differ from that but I guess not. I also understand that heat in the tires from normal road use can wear them in funny ways and shorten the life

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles