Anyone have Experience with Aussie Swags and Swag Brands Available in the US?

Robert Bills

Explorer
I am intrigued by Aussie "swags," i.e. roll-up tents with incorporated mattress pads, like this:

DSC_0451_medium.JPG

Rolled_swag_medium.jpg

For those of you either have one, used one, or know someone who has, I am interested in your opinions as to comfort, durability, performance in bad weather, ease of packing or lack thereof, etc.

Also, for those of you who own one, what brand do you have and where did you get it? They seem to be readily available in Australia, not so much in the U.S.

Thanks.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
That looks like the elusive Venus old man trap plant.

Just kidding...

Actually I've never seen anything like that before. Looks very easy to transport and easier to pack up for a weekend outing as opposed to a RTT. I'll be interested in reading the responses you get.

mandingo

Observer
Just got the Kodiak swag tent. http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/swag-1-person-canvas-tent/
Very comfortable but also cozy and by cozy I mean you can sleep in it and maybe read a book but that is it. Not designed for hanging out in. The small size means your body heat stays close to you and it is very warm. If it gets too warm you can open the fly portion and vent all the heat out. Mattress is very comfortable and setup is simple and quick.
I still want the two person ARB Skydome for use when the wife goes with me and maybe for solo trips just for the extra space.
http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-SKYDOME-WATERPROOF-CANVAS-SWAG-DOUBLE-SDS201A-P22922.aspx
Biggest downside is unless you bring your shoes/boots inside (along with the dirt) there is no place to keep them dry outside except partially under the front window and it's not a lot of space. Best bring a trash bag/water proof bag to toss them in overnight.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Just got the Kodiak swag tent. http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/swag-1-person-canvas-tent/
Very comfortable but also cozy and by cozy I mean you can sleep in it and maybe read a book but that is it. Not designed for hanging out in. The small size means your body heat stays close to you and it is very warm. If it gets too warm you can open the fly portion and vent all the heat out. Mattress is very comfortable and setup is simple and quick.
I still want the two person ARB Skydome for use when the wife goes with me and maybe for solo trips just for the extra space.
http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-SKYDOME-WATERPROOF-CANVAS-SWAG-DOUBLE-SDS201A-P22922.aspx
Biggest downside is unless you bring your shoes/boots inside (along with the dirt) there is no place to keep them dry outside except partially under the front window and it's not a lot of space. Best bring a trash bag/water proof bag to toss them in overnight.

ARB has the boot swag :D

image.jpg

gsdog2

Observer
I have the Ironman4x4 swag....for some reason Sierra Expiditions in Arizona had one on display and I picked it up. Not to shabby for one person. The canvas is thicker than my RTT and ripstop style. The mattress is about 3" thick; although I still used an air mattress just because. Not needed though. Has a thick rubber tub base to keep water out if it rains. After using it during the rainy season in Colorado, I would probably put a tarp larger than the swag down to keep mud away. Sleeping inside is nice and dark when the rainfly is on, otherwise there is mesh. Mesh is thick, way thicker than my Oztent Bunker.

mandingo

Observer
Does the Kodiak swag require guy lines at each end? From the photos it appears that guy lines are necessary but have been edited out for "aesthetics."

ARB advertises their swags as self-supporting. Unfortunately the pricing is astronomical for what they are.

Yep the guy lines are needed. There are two grommets on the ends that look like they would fit a pole and be self-supporting but one was not included.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
Definitely best to set up a swag under an awning, if possible. It's such a pain to get in and out of if it's wet or raining.

Also, the packed-up size of swags are pretty big. Be sure to check that out before buying. 3ft wide by 1ft or more thick in a roll would be the minimum size that I've seen. But they are quick and easy for a single person to go camp.

kanga1

Observer
Sauls swags

Hi, I've had one of these for a couple of decades, almost always put it under a tarp or awning on the side of the Defender, when sleeping in it.
http://saulswags.com.au/
He's been making them in the mountains here for ages, very simple design with no parts (zips/press studs etc.) to go wrong.
They do take up a bit of room inside, but no more than a 3 or so person dome tent. We hit a cloud of Grasshoppers some years ago and were grateful that the Swags were not on the roof, it took ages to get the mess and stink off the car!
Cheers, kanga........ :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles