Anyone have an XVenture by Schutt Ind ?

surly

surly adventurer
There are certainly things we don't like about our trailer:
1. The stove blows. Or rather sucks when it blows. A windscreen might be a solution but our fix is to use our two burner stove instead and hook it to the onboard propane. I plan to buy or make a cutting board to cover the stove hole.
2. The water connections are tough to connect and disconnect on occasion. It might be my technique but I have cursed a few times.
3. The rack is noisy.
4. The water system wastes some water or rather leaves it unused. It could use a pickup in a lower location as well as a lower crossover between the two tanks.

Lots to like too:
1. It's bomber. We don't worry about it back there at all. A wooden teardrop would be a concern, for us.
2. The propane and water system is pretty nice. It's routed/mounted underneath. Plummed very well. Very well protected by a large skid plate.
3. It looks pretty **************'

If we had to do it again
1. We would still get the galley but not the stove.
2. We would consider the Rhino rack over the 80/20 rack.

I don't think we would buy anything different. When we saw it in person we both felt it was well engineered and everything fit together well. Much better than some of the custom options we checked out prior.

We removed the GoalZero Yeti 400 and replaced it with dual batteries.
We mounted an ARB slide and 63q fridge in the back. The tongue box "fridge compartment" houses camp chairs and a folding 100w solar panel.

We love it. Thats our take on the trailer.

jk6661

Observer
Curious: why did you remove the Yeti instead of just adding a battery to it? It has lots of useful ports, etc.

surly

surly adventurer
Curious: why did you remove the Yeti instead of just adding a battery to it? It has lots of useful ports, etc.

More power basically.
We could still use it with the trailer if we wanted to and often carry it in the Jeep to run our Traeger. The plan is to get a larger inverter and mount that in the trailer. We only need to run lights and fridge so our needs are mostly 12v.

We also have an ArkPak which used to sit in the Jeep and run our old fridge at camp. Now that the new fridge is in the trailer they both just sit in the garage. Everything in the trailer is working pretty well for us. The "old way" felt like too many different pieces. More flexible, sure, but more to load and unload. This config is already loaded and all we need to do is chill the fridge and load some clothes.

jk6661

Observer
Apparently you decided the tongue box "fridge compartment" wasn't going to work for you. Is that because it's not vented? Also, did you mount the slide yourself? I don't have the tools to drill bolt holes through the trailer, so I'd probably have to get someone to do it for me.

surly

surly adventurer
Apparently you decided the tongue box "fridge compartment" wasn't going to work for you. Is that because it's not vented? Also, did you mount the slide yourself? I don't have the tools to drill bolt holes through the trailer, so I'd probably have to get someone to do it for me.

I figured, like others, that the closed area wasn't the best location. I think at camp, with the lid open, its fine. Additionally, my wife is 5'1" and we have 35's on the trailer so it's a little high to get into the bottom of a fridge stored there.

We mounted an ARB 63q on an ARB slide. I drilled the holes myself and used rivnuts. It was pretty easy. I've installed some tracks and a quickvault this way. Rivnuts are like an addiction. Now every time I see a flat surface I think of what I can bolt to it ;)

If you are in the Northwest I'd give you a hand. It is not difficult if you turn wrenches or can use a drill. nothing wrong with having someone else do it though. Holes are pretty permanent!

I'll get some pics since I am home today...

Last edited:

surly

surly adventurer
ARB fridge stowed. The 37 and 63 fit. The 50 and 80 are too tall.

image.jpg

Fridge extended. Last panel on cover needs to be folded. We usually have it open for the water heater while at camp.
image.jpg

Tracks and Traeger:
image.jpg

XVENTURE TRAILERS

Supporting Sponsor - XVENTURE Trailers
We intentionally designed the elevating rack system to have extra compliance (play) in the supports so that it can telescope properly for it's intended use. Unfortunately this "noisy rack" is a side effect of that additional compliance which is caused by the vibration and rattle of these moving parts. In short while it doesn't pose any structural or functional issue it can be for some a minor audible nuisance.

We have been working on and testing different solutions for this concern and we have come up with a field fix for anyone that has interest to reducing the noise.

It involves installing two nylon tipped set screws(as shown below) into each elevating rack outer support bar.. so eight of them total. The nylon set screws are used to tension(clamp) the outer and inner bars to reduce the compliance as mentioned above which reduces the vibration and subsequent noise. The set screws need to be tightened for transport/travel and loosened to raise or lower the rack((takes a 3/16" allen wrench).

Installing can be a bit tricky because the inner bars need to be removed first (so the rack itself needs to be removed or lifted off)prior to drilling and tapping 8 holes in the outer tube. If anyone is interested I can provide the set screw detail, dimensions, hole and tap size for this.

Set Screw.jpg

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I have been agonizing over this for several years. Trying to figure out the style of trailer to get. I am finally going to be in the position in early summer of 2017 to purchase my long awaited adventure trailer. I have decided on the Xventure XV2.
(Even better we finally have a dealer here in Albuquerque!) The versatility of being able to just toss in rafts, bikes, firewood, ice chests, chairs, kayas, extra cases of beer, canyoneering gear, fishing gear, more firewood, whatever. Being able to set up an amazing base camp and then free up my JKU to go do other things is just going to be awesome. I already have the ARB fridge, Roof top tent, and just about every piece of gear I could ever want or need. I just need the trailer! I have checked these out several times and the build quality is top notch. This trailer will outlast me and my kids and my grandkids and probably the earth itself. One nice thing I will like is having a tailgate again. I used my Power Wagon for years on adventures but have gone into the world of the Jeep now, so a full size tailgate has been missed! I can't wait. SE Utah here we come.

:campfire::rappel::beer:

Last edited:

Ed B

Adventurer
We have had ours since May and have been extremely happy with it. We have family in Santa Fe and look forward to doing some exploring there in the spring. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
We have had ours since May and have been extremely happy with it. We have family in Santa Fe and look forward to doing some exploring there in the spring. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Awesome! Will do..:sombrero: If you come out here with that trailer and need some suggestions on some cool areas, hit me up, I've been here a while and have been all over NM.

MtnBubba

Observer
How do you feel about the suspension on the XV-2? I read a review that thought that using a camping loadout the axle was still a bit oversprung for the payload weight? Have you also found that it still hops around a lot at medium speeds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles