Anyone have a non heavy duty rack on?

Outdoorsben

Observer
I am not looking to drive with tons of gear on the hard top, just a canoe from time to time but more importantly is bins at night as I sleep inside the Jeep. Anyone running a non HD rack? Non hd as in not rhino, Gobi, kargomaster, garvin etc... looking for more of a smittybilt defender or surco. Also bonus question, anyone running an awning off theirs?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've got XJ Cherokee racks on both my JKU and my LJ. For both Jeeps I made brackets to support the rack on the roll bars so no weight is borne by the fiberglass.

FinalRoof1_zpsilvpnzbf.jpg

The nice thing about the Cherokee racks is that there's lots of aftermarket support for them. For example, using Surco J100 Rack Adapters (http://surcoinc.com/Roof/Mounting_Accessories/Specialty_Adapters.html) I can adapt my RTT cross rails to the XJ tracks.

RTTFinal2_zpshlh4t6km.jpg

I use the same adapters to secure a Garvin rack basket to the XJ tracks.

GarvinOnJK5_zpsfrijy0ks.jpg

It's a very versatile setup, and inexpensive since XJ racks are about $15 in my local u-pull junkyard.

Saev

Observer
rojopic5.JPG
rojopic2.JPG

Homemade roof rack out of Conduit tubing, attaches to the rain gutters and the rear window hinges, Works great for chairs tables, luggage, all your light weight equipment, no rattles, no wind noise, been running that for 5 years, I spend about 50 bucks and a weekend

Tswhit15

I've had the smittybilt racks for about 3 years now. I have since replaced some of the bolts and nuts and washers but that could easily be avoided by using loctite right from the start. It's held up great for me. I run 4 lights up front and two in the rear. It will easily hold two kayaks, a canoe, and I ran a rooftop tent for two weeks in Colorado off road and for a week in Kentucky off road and it held up fine. It reduces fuel efficiency I'm sure slightly, and everything in my jeep creaks so I can't tell you how much noisier it may be.

WhatThaFrig

I've had the Surco rack on my 15 JK and I have a Smittybuilt on my 13 JKU. Both worked for what I used them for. Nothing too heavy.
089f2073c3771989d7d32dfb649f7058.jpg
78a4fb9e73684d024a7e34392b194904.jpg
2a30ac9ea54412daac94c8941ae9bf73.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I am not looking to drive with tons of gear on the hard top, just a canoe from time to time but more importantly is bins at night as I sleep inside the Jeep. Anyone running a non HD rack? Non hd as in not rhino, Gobi, kargomaster, garvin etc... looking for more of a smittybilt defender or surco. Also bonus question, anyone running an awning off theirs?
So I do use the Rhino backbone system, but then with the cross bars instead of the whole pioneer rack. I run my CVT Shasta on the crossbars. Love it, backbone system offers plenty of support for the weights and the crossbars I keep on the tent when I remove it. So no roof rack all the time. I also run my CVT awning off the rear using the crossbars as well.

Outdoorsben

Observer
Thanks for all the pictures and updates guys. I ended up going with the Smitty and already installed it. Solid so far, not going to mount an RTT obviously, but so far with my canoe and other odd and end stuff it's worked great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online