Anyone have a 2016/2017 Tacoma 2.7?

Milo902

Adventurer
Hasn't the 3.5 been around since 2004 in Toyota & Lexus applications? Granted there are some newer tweaks for the Taco but it's not exactly unproven. CPS failing under 30k is a major bummer & certainly not what anyone should expect from any new vehicle, but hardly a knock against the motor itself.

I'll be watching these issues closely as I expect to be in the market for a 3rd gen V6 in the next couple of years. The 4.0 has gained a great reputation, hopefully after some teething issues the 3.5 does as well.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
To get any power, you really have to get into the higher rpm range, I drive very conservatively, but when merging onto the interstate it has decent enough power, even on an incline, if you put your foot all the way down and let it get close to the redline before shifting. Under 3000rpm there is no acceleration to speak of. I know it is east coast, but I never had problems carrying the pocono mountains in 4th with 750lbs in the truck at 75mph. 5th it slows down and the cruise cancels when it drops 10mph from where you set it (I added cruise for $25 in parts).

How did you add cruise? I'd love to add cruise control to my '97 4Runner 5spd 2.7 4x4.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Hmm, I have a 2015 4cyl 5-spd...

Almost identical drive train. I love it but it's not fast at all. I installed 265s and would not go higher unless I re-geared.
It's nice knowing everything about my truck is kind of over engineered for all the V6 trucks.

That being said I sometimes wish I had a V-6 but with the auto. But I also paid a lot less for mine.

If it was just me and not the wife and impending family, I want to test drive the 2.7L with the new 6-spd auto in an Access Cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior