Anyone has installed a Redarc Manager30? I have a couple questions...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
So I procured this kit to install in my Ford Transit 2020 AWD

I have a couple items I would like to confirm.

1) The Transit has one single AGM battery with a connection point by the driver seat. My understanding is that I can connect directly to this power point to be one of the charger sources to the manager.
My question is what size gauge should I run from the starting battery (number #6 below) ? The Manager will be installed about 10-12 feet away (in the back of the van).
Am I correct to assume it's 6 AWG as described in the instruction?

2) Also, I intend to install 2 X 100amp batteries under the passenger seat. These will be the house batteries.

Again, is it correct that I would run a 6AWG to these batteries (number #1 below)? That does not seem right. Do I need a fuse bus bar? It seems like I would a 2/0 wire from the batteries to support 200 amps, and a 250 amp fuse. But the Redarc diagram show a 40 amps fuse on that cable.

Sorry if this is confusing, I am in the learning phase...

Thank you in advance!

Reference:

1615084924074.png

1615084730338.png

Attachments

• 1615084269543.png
    1615084269543.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 23

OllieChristopher

Hi there Christian, That looks to be a very sweet setup you are going with!!

As a disclaimer I do not have experience with the Redarc but for the length of run you are doing and to minimize voltage drop I would run #4 AWG for both input and output. The reason Redarc recommends the smaller wire and low amp fuses is because the unit has a maximum output of 30 amps. I normally fuse for the wire but would go with the size that is lined out in the instructions. 4awg can easily handle the 40/50 amp fuses. If you already have the #6 AWG wire then I would not lose sleep over it ;).

Blue sea makes some pretty slick terminal fuses that come right off the battery:

I recently did a dual battery install on my truck and I ran about 15 feet #4 wire to the back sockets. I get 13.7 volts at the battery and 13.6 volts to the power sockets in back.

If it's not too hard I would consider tying in all your grounds to a singe buss bar going back to starter battery. Just for redundancy.....

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
So I procured this kit to install in my Ford Transit 2020 AWD

I have a couple items I would like to confirm.

1) The Transit has one single AGM battery with a connection point by the driver seat. My understanding is that I can connect directly to this power point to be one of the charger sources to the manager.
My question is what size gauge should I run from the starting battery (number #6 below) ? The Manager will be installed about 10-12 feet away (in the back of the van).
Am I correct to assume it's 6 AWG as described in the instruction?

2) Also, I intend to install 2 X 100amp batteries under the passenger seat. These will be the house batteries.

Again, is it correct that I would run a 6AWG to these batteries (number #1 below)? That does not seem right. Do I need a fuse bus bar? It seems like I would a 2/0 wire from the batteries to support 200 amps, and a 250 amp fuse. But the Redarc diagram show a 40 amps fuse on that cable.

The amps going from the charger to the battery aren’t anywhere near 200 amps. It’s 30 amps, maximum. That’s why a 40 amp fuse is used.

What is this battery connection point by the seat? Can it support 30 amps?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Hi there Christian, That looks to be a very sweet setup you are going with!!

As a disclaimer I do not have experience with the Redarc but for the length of run you are doing and to minimize voltage drop I would run #4 AWG for both input and output. The reason Redarc recommends the smaller wire and low amp fuses is because the unit has a maximum output of 30 amps. I normally fuse for the wire but would go with the size that is lined out in the instructions. 4awg can easily handle the 40/50 amp fuses. If you already have the #6 AWG wire then I would not lose sleep over it ;).

Blue sea makes some pretty slick terminal fuses that come right off the battery:

I recently did a dual battery install on my truck and I ran about 15 feet #4 wire to the back sockets. I get 13.7 volts at the battery and 13.6 volts to the power sockets in back.

If it's not too hard I would consider tying in all your grounds to a singe buss bar going back to starter battery. Just for redundancy.....

Thanks - I did not have the wires so I just order 25 feet of black/red #4 AWG.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
The amps going from the charger to the battery aren’t anywhere near 200 amps. It’s 30 amps, maximum. That’s why a 40 amp fuse is used.

What is this battery connection point by the seat? Can it support 30 amps?

Yes I believe so. This link shows for pre-2020

Mine is similar but has 2 positives, one is always on and one is on when the ignition is on. I believe one is 60 amps and the one is 175? I think they may also be a CCP difference depending if you have the single AGM battery or the Ford optional dual batteries. I am not totally clear, I need to research this a bit more. But I just confirmed on mine that one is always hot and one is hot when the ignition is on. I need to decide which one to route to the Redarc30 manager.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Yes I believe so. This link shows for pre-2020

Mine is similar but has 2 positives, one is always on and one is on when the ignition is on. I believe one is 60 amps and the one is 175? I think they may also be a CCP difference depending if you have the single AGM battery or the Ford optional dual batteries. I am not totally clear, I need to research this a bit more. But I just confirmed on mine that one is always hot and one is hot when the ignition is on. I need to decide which one to route to the Redarc30 manager.

I would go with the connection that’s hot only with engine running.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
In 2020 we installed 10 Manager30 as part of an overhaul of the PGA Tour trailers which included access control, cameras, and large LiFePO4 battery banks.
On my personal off-road trailer, I have a RedArc 50 amp DC to DC charger, and a Tow-Pro Elite in my Jeep. Good stuff.

4bb9524ff4b1efedfc97e4e86415b67a.jpg

3f826666b1417524a09b89c78fece4a0.jpg

d23b20e29c944d4d09f669964d4dadb7.jpg

c2d2b7656560f8d0a15d24b734406b4d.jpg

1abab66201486ade8f3c2d1ff8b4134a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REDARC_Ryan

In 2020 we installed 10 Manager30 as part of an overhaul of the PGA Tour trailers which included access control, cameras, and large LiFePO4 battery banks.
On my personal off-road trailer, I have a RedArc 50 amp DC to DC charger, and a Tow-Pro Elite in my Jeep. Good stuff.
Woah! That's an awesome setup, thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles