Anyone familiar with overland vehicle systems roof top tents?

trae

Adventurer
Went to order a Smittybilt Overlander XL and turns out that our preferred store doens't sell them anymore. Instead they are now recommending Overland Vehicle Systems (OVS) tents. When I asked why, they said that both Smittybilt and OVS tents are made in the same factory but OVS is a better value. It wasn't clear to me what that means.

I haven't found many reviews on their stuff:

- OVS Nomadic 270 Awning, looks liek a great piece of kit for the money: - OVS 2 person tent, overall positive comments from the owner
In any case, does anyone know what the story is with this manufacturer? The awning looks great, the tents do as well. Is this a decent purchase?

adaml

If the 270 video I linked above is any indication yuou're getting a great product. I may go for the 270 myself.

I've got their 270 coming in tomorrow. Once I get it up, I'll be sure to post about it. I, like others, found limited information about it but I really liked what I did find.

adaml

Can't speak to their tents but this awning is FANTASTIC. High-quality materials, super beefy mounts ... I'd totally recommend it to anyone.

trae

Adventurer
Can't speak to their tents but this awning is FANTASTIC. High-quality materials, super beefy mounts ... I'd totally recommend it to anyone.

Great to hear! I’m ordering the tent and the awning. Sales person convinced me it was a better value. 4 year warranty vs smittybilts 1 year too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trae

Adventurer
I picked up my OVS Nomadic 4 yesterday. Haven't had a chance to install it yet, just leafed through the instructions. First impression, it's a pretty much identical clone of Smittybilt XL. The only difference is the metal floor. I wish the instructions were a little bit clearer on the install requirements. For example, is the overhand of 12" on either side ok? Im thinking probably not.

1589774377433.png

adaml

Are you talking about the overhang? As in amounts extended past the bars? If so, it'll be fine. All of these tents come from the same place in China and I've had more of them then I'd like to admit over the past few years. They all have had overhang (for me it was more in the front than in the rear) and they've all been fine.

trae

Adventurer
Any new review of the ovs tent?

Sure, we've used it about a week now over 3 different trips. We got the Overland Nomadic 4 (4 person one). Here's their website: https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/...h-green-rain-fly-black-cover-with-bonus-pack/

As far as I can tell this is just a rebranded Smittybilt Overlander XL, with a metal floor. Otherwise they look very similar.

What I like:

- About 3 out of 7 days rained heavily, we stayed dry.
- The mattress is decent. There's no need to upgrade it.
- Putting it together and installing the tent on my trailer was no trouble. Only requires very basic tools.
- the "porch" is really nice when it's raining, you can get into the tent without getting soaked.

What's annoying:

- the D-rings for the straps are a struggle for me. I'll modify this to use tie down straps
- the manual is poorly written. still dont know what the red strap is for in the tent
- the porch requires an extra step. It comes with a aluminum pole that I bent the crap out of. I still can't figure out how to put it together so I have my wife do it. ?‍♂️

I can't think of anything that's a deal breaker. Overall it's a decent product for the price and if it's within your budget I'd recommend it.

Mpl1978

Thanks for the review. I just sold my Tepui 3 person tent and need a 4 person. Not many options for a 4 person......and I don’t know how much added value there is from and OVS w a 4 year warranty over a cvt or 23zero.

trae

Adventurer
Thanks for the review. I just sold my Tepui 3 person tent and need a 4 person. Not many options for a 4 person......and I don’t know how much added value there is from and OVS w a 4 year warranty over a cvt or 23zero.

I think Ovs is half the price of cvt. Not sure about 23zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles