Anyone ever mount a weather station on their trailer?

GkraneTX

I think it would be a cool idea for those of us that live in coastal areas or other places that have constantly changing weather.

ITTOG

I have not but don't think it would be an issue if you had a quality system. I use Acurite at home and I know it would be fine other than the wind speed. Probably would want to lock it so it wouldn't turn.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I've looked into it, but have found that the vast majority of consumer type weather stations base their predictions upon trends.
Humidity, barometric pressure, etc, that can take months to really calibrate to anything close to accuracy.
This works decent for a unit used at home, but not so much for a vehicle, that moves all the time.

Short of a BIG $$$ vehicle based weather station, so long as you have a signal, your phone is the best bet.

ITTOG

I know the Acurites do not work that way. I have one that I keep inside my trailer that has an external sensor for temp, humidity, and barometric pressure. It definitely is not based on trends and adjusts to where I am instantly.

GkraneTX

I would like something that has a wind speed indicator. Where I set up camp and fish there is absolutely no cellular reception.

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
It would be easy to get the wireless type of Weather station. I was given one from the Orange Big Box store. It is battery powered. I would not leave it mounted while traveling. It could be mounted on a pipe and erected once you stop your travels. That way you don’t have to worry about damaging it in transit (over spinning the wind gauge).
This would help you with “bragging rights”
I like the hanging stone.......... it’s old school
Safe travels

QQQ

I thought it would be cool to have one but there is already too many things that need batteries so I mounted an old barometer that was in a boat I owned years a go. Does a good enough job for camping plus it looks cool :)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I know the Acurites do not work that way. I have one that I keep inside my trailer that has an external sensor for temp, humidity, and barometric pressure. It definitely is not based on trends and adjusts to where I am instantly.

Sorry, but completely wrong

As I said, they use trends, over long periods.

Per Acurite, their learning mode calibration lasts 33 days.

This is right from an Acurite manual
https://www.acurite.com/media//manuals/01181M-instructions.pdf

from troubleshooting portion of manual:
RE: Inaccurate forecast

• Weather Forecast icon predicts conditions for the next
12 to 24 hours, not current conditions.
• Has the learning mode icon disappeared from the
display? Learning Mode must complete before forecast
and pressure will be accurate.
• Allow unit to run continuously for 33 days. Battery
removal or resetting the display will restart Learning
Mode. After 14 days, forecast should be fairly accurate,
however, Learning Mode calibrates for a total of 33 days.

ratled

Adventurer
There was a guy who had one in a Runaway teardrop and did a You Tube several years ago. If I find it Ill post a link

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles