Anyone ever DIY a portable 12V compressor with tank?

jagarcia89

I've been lugging around a small cheap harbor freight air compressor on my mountain bike trips for years. Mostly using it to seat the occasional tubeless MTB tire and a blower nozzle for some bike maintenance. But it packs terribly and now I have a truck I'd like to air down. I really like the looks of the ARB kit that comes in a case with an air tank, but hard to justify the $1000 price tag for something I won't use often. Especially since there are so many other much cheaper high flow compressor options available now or used AIR twin compressors that seem to hit the market around $350. I just can't imagine a case and a tank is worth $600+

So question is, anyone ever done this or can point me to some resources? I've never even seen the ARB in person so I don't know what kind of components and fittings they have. Haven't even used one of the various super highflow compressors to know if I even need the air tank for seating MTB beads.

Any guidance appreciated, I've tried searching but using the term "compressor" yields way too many unrelated results.

1651116863141.png

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I've done DIY OBA, (both tanked and tankless), but not portable. I imagine it would basically be the same, except for the power wiring.

That said, I question the value of a very small tank. I've run tankless for many years and been fine. The only job I wasn't confident it could handle was (as you mentioned) seating tires on the bead. I worry that a small tank may not be enough extra volume to seat a truck tire. (At least without help, like the ratchet-strap trick, etc.)

jagarcia89

I've done DIY OBA, (both tanked and tankless), but not portable. I imagine it would basically be the same, except for the power wiring.

That said, I question the value of a very small tank. I've run tankless for many years and been fine. The only job I wasn't confident it could handle was (as you mentioned) seating tires on the bead. I worry that a small tank may not be enough extra volume to seat a truck tire. (At least without help, like the ratchet-strap trick, etc.)

Thanks. Other than a compressor and an air tank- what is needed to make it work right? I imagine a pressure switch of some kind?

I know it won't seat a truck bead and don't need it to, only tubeless mountain bike tires. Which my 3 gallon harbor freight compressor does fine, it just packs absolutely terribly for something that doesn't get used once on 90% of my trips

1651158499962.png

Superduty

Adventurer
I am not sure if you are looking to replicate the performance of an ARB dual or not. If so, there aren't many (probably none) cheap "hi flow" compressors that come close to the performance of the ARB dual.

Where do you see used ARB duals for $350?

"Tank and case worth $600 plus" - your math is a little fuzzy, unless you are saying the tank and case cost $600, based on your used $350 pricing. When you pay $1k for a portable ARB dual you are getting all new components.

I know nothing about seating MTB tire beads. I would figure out how much air is needed to make that happen and then go from there. You might be able to accomplish the task using a small portable air tank that you simply fill with a portable compressor. Fill the tank, detach the compressor, then use the pressurized to seat the bead. I doubt most portable compressors will be flowing enough CFM to make any difference in the bead seating.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Thanks. Other than a compressor and an air tank- what is needed to make it work right? I imagine a pressure switch of some kind?

Pretty much.

A pressure switch that controls a relay to switch power for the compressor is the main electrical thing. Viair sells these as a single unit with a pressure switch and relay mounted/wired together - all you do is give it battery power and connect a keyed-hot source (trigger switch, etc.)

viair-switch-relay.png

Alternatively you can wire it up in parts if it is more convenient to have the relay separated from the pressure switch.
viair-separate.jpg

After that, it's just plumbing - connect the pressure switch and compressor output to the rest of the air system (chucks, tank - if present, etc.)

jagarcia89

Pretty much.

A pressure switch that controls a relay to switch power for the compressor is the main electrical thing. Viair sells these as a single unit with a pressure switch and relay mounted/wired together - all you do is give it battery power and connect a keyed-hot source (trigger switch, etc.)

View attachment 719373

Alternatively you can wire it up in parts if it is more convenient to have the relay separated from the pressure switch.
View attachment 719374

After that, it's just plumbing - connect the pressure switch and compressor output to the rest of the air system (chucks, tank - if present, etc.)

Exactly what i needed. Thank you.

jagarcia89

Look up "How to seat a tire with Butane/Propane"

I know how to do that, but I would never do that on my $1000 carbon wheels. For the truck yes, but definitely not on the bike which is the only time I’m seating a tubeless tire.

jagarcia89

I am not sure if you are looking to replicate the performance of an ARB dual or not. If so, there aren't many (probably none) cheap "hi flow" compressors that come close to the performance of the ARB dual.

Where do you see used ARB duals for $350?

"Tank and case worth $600 plus" - your math is a little fuzzy, unless you are saying the tank and case cost $600, based on your used $350 pricing. When you pay $1k for a portable ARB dual you are getting all new components.

I know nothing about seating MTB tire beads. I would figure out how much air is needed to make that happen and then go from there. You might be able to accomplish the task using a small portable air tank that you simply fill with a portable compressor. Fill the tank, detach the compressor, then use the pressurized to seat the bead. I doubt most portable compressors will be flowing enough CFM to make any difference in the bead seating.

I’ve seen one come up on here locally for $400. I’ve seen two come and go on Craigslist and Facebook for 350 in the last two weeks.

yes, I know that’s comparing new to used prices. But even at the retail price of $550 for an ARB twin, that’s $450 for an aluminum tank and a case.

there’s a few cheaper compressors out there that people talk about matching the performance (maybe not longevity) of an arb twin, like the Napa one for like $150.

the reality is for my use, I will rarely use it. But when I need it, I really need it. So I’m okay with a budget or use compressor because it works 5 times, I will have got 3 years out of it

Alloy

I know how to do that, but I would never do that on my $1000 carbon wheels. For the truck yes, but definitely not on the bike which is the only time I’m seating a tubeless tire.

Are you using Crush Core inserts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior