Anyone ditched a Max Coupler in favor of a pintle?

4000lbsOfGoat

There are other coupler options that combine full articulation with ease of connection. I use one of these from Ark Corporation. It's as easy to connect\disconnect as any other ball and stays firmly attached at any angle. Also, in a pinch, the trailer can be pulled by any rig with a standard 2" ball.

coupler.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I finally got some time to take a drive for “no reason”…. About 100 miles in, I’m very happy. The only clunk I’m getting is at the very end of a hard stop. I’ll probably drag the trailer through a few days of commute just to get a lot of stop and go on it, but I’m going to declare cautious success.

billiebob

So I love my max coupler for a few characteristics. It is tight, quiet, follows nicely, and articulates like a mad dog. However, it is such a pain to align for connection, and to unload the pin for disconnection (I have no other driver, so it is all solo), that I am thinking I need something that can be lined up closely and then kicked to drop it in place. I also have a really tough time backing this up, which may not be the fault of the coupler, but more the loose nut behind the wheel, although I suspect the absolute lack of rigidity in the coupler is contributing.

Has anyone dropped that setup in favor of a pintle receiver and ring? Will I have the same issues? I would probably stick with a rotating lunette ring, although I suspect I really don’t need that much rotation, so maybe the first build is rigid.

I know this is a frequent topic, but I haven’t seen any definitive “yes, I love it” or “no, I hate it” comments.

After spraining my back on this weeks trip trying to align the trailer on rough ground, then having to hammer out the pin to disconnect, I’m in need of change.
I've been thru them all since my first pintle in 1972..... 50 years later I swear by the old fashioned 2" ball hitch on virtually everything. Most of the guys with Max Couplers etc.... would do fine with a 2" ball. Most of them have perfect paint and zero trail rash or pinstriping which would show they actually NEED that articulation. In 50 years I have exceeded the 2" ball articulation once when the trailer rolled on its side... but the hitch still worked, the tongue twisted,,,, and once righted all worked fine. I like to think in a slightly less demanding articulation the twisting tounge might hae resisted the roll.... lord knows a max coupler resists nothing.

I'll stick with the most common hitch out there a 2" ball on a 2" receiver. With a 2" receiver you can fit almost anything. One thing to consider is a break down..... 2" ball / 2" receiver is so common anyone can help..... you break down with a Max Coupler.... you might have a hard time convincing the average guy it is legal hitch.

Note the road rash on the leading ridge of the trailer and the roof fascia board. 60mph on its side on pavement. 2" ball worked fine.

DSC_0022.jpeg

Last edited:

billiebob

I work for a towing company.... you need a tow we might send a second vehicle to tow yer trailer but we do not have ir trust any of the options like Mac Coupler, our insurance will not let us so you need a tow,,,, we send 2 deck trucks. the cost just keeps going up if you do something less than industry standard.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I work for a towing company.... you need a tow we might send a second vehicle to tow yer trailer but we do not have ir trust any of the options like Mac Coupler, our insurance will not let us so you need a tow,,,, we send 2 deck trucks. the cost just keeps going up if you do something less than industry standard.
How about a pintle hitch? Is that an "industry standard"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior