Anyone Daily Drive Their Truck?

trd

Observer
Like many other people looking for a new vehicle, there is nothing on the market that fits my wants and budget. So now I'm considering getting a heavy duty chassis cab truck, Lariat quality, and daily driving it with the capability of putting the camper on the back for trips.

Does this make any sense to you all? It would be easier for because my company can pay for my truck, so that would leave more of a budget for a custom camper. I want/need something that's self-contained, toilet/shower, room to sleep 3. An earthroamer would be perfect, but nowhere in the vicinity of my budget.

Thoughts?

Charles R

Adventurer
For years, I was roomies with a guy who DD his motorhome! It wasn't a giant one... But it wasn't a van cab type either... Full on motorhome.

When i was a kid, i wanted to DD my family's big rigs to school! :D

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
A bit more than just a daily.

This truck gets worked.

And the flatbed is the key. Many "modes"

*Flatbed
*with side racks
*with side racks and ladder racks

Side racks

yard001.jpg

Side racks with ladder racks

palousework.jpg

No side racks

yard009.jpg

And camper loaded

ct90rack.jpg

Currently Im prepping to replace the old, high mileage Powerstroke with a much newer Super Duty.

It will receive a custom flatbed, and will perform the same tasks that the old truck is currently.

001SD.jpg

ripperj

Explorer
I'm not sure I get the question, if your company will buy the truck- what's to think about? I daily drove my Ram 2500 4x4 crew cab for several years. It now has my Alaskan on it so I take my car. I miss the truck, but not the 12mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vartz04

Adventurer
I'm considering doing the same thing. Right now I have a company vehicle and my overlanding is pretty non existent due to the young kids (1 and 2.5 ) but soon they will be older and I have the option to trade the company vehicle in for an allowance. The way things are going here they might make that choice for me but who knows

Lance990

Observer
I used to drive my 1997 F350 Supercab XLT DRW truck to work everyday but I recently purchased a 2006 Land Cruiser to drive. I only have a 2 mile commute to work but it is through crowded city streets that are somewhat narrow for a DRW. Plus, my parking garage at work is kind of tight when it comes to turning into a parking space. I originally thought I would make the Land Cruiser into an expedition rig but I prefer my truck camper instead for adventure. It has more amenities than a tent and is more convenient for long distance travel. I am thinking of selling the Land Cruiser and going back to driving my '97 1-ton truck to work everyday. Since my commute is short the gas expense is nominal, even for the 7.5L engine. I need to simplify again and getting back to basics is my goal. The LC is nice and comfy with a buttery smooth ride but it really isn't needed. It's just the DW and me and we don't have any children so the Supercab truck is fine.I have a 2007 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 truck I am selling that I don't need as well. I have too many vehicles!

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
trd,
When purchased new in 2001 I drove my Dodge 2500 (2 series), 50K miles in two years, as a daily driver in L.A. traffic. Unloaded it was fine, even with the 6 spd. manual. The ride was pretty good, a subjective comment, but you always have to say, "compared to what?". A 1 series truck should ride better but have a very limited selection of campers that don't overload the rig. A 3 or 4 series truck will ride a lot worse without a load.
Since you are looking to put a small, fully equipped camper on the back, I would opt for a 3, 4 or 5 series truck to give you the most options when it comes to outfitting a truck camper.
The thing is you won't be carrying your camper around daily, and that's the beauty of a truck camper, so that perfect for a load 4 or 5 series truck will have that clunky harsh ride. Our Lance stays on most of the time now, so I've upgraded the truck suspension and drivetrain to be able to haul the thing around, year round. Another thing is what about duals? No matter how you slice it, duals are a drag as a daily drive, especially downtown. Sorry for all that alliteration. You can get used to duals. You could always order a SRW 3 series or go to super singles on the back like I did. The ride improves along with the parking ease.
The commonly held belief in the TC world is, "Choose the camper first. Then choose a truck that can carry it." It's still good advice. jefe
click on this vid for the size of our camper/truck:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjph2jw3ps25fux/DSCN0795.MOV?dl=0

Last edited:

::Squish::

Observer
I don't drive daily, I work from home and don't currently have a commute.

But yea I'll frequently drive the truck. though not with the camper on,

spacer

Observer
I don't drive it every day, but my Burb takes me to work at least once during the week, in addition to weekend duties, just to keep the oil stirred up.

-woops, I guess a little off topic. I get most of my threads on the New Posts search... not a hardsided camper. Carry on... don't mind the weirdo... :eek:

cruiser812

Observer
I daily drive my gmc 3500 srw crew cab 4x4 lwb with a 6.0 gasser. I average about 13.5 50/50 city/high unloaded and the ride is great. Parking is tough sometimes but managable. Camper goes on only before trips like billy2 said earlier. I also use it to tow my 10k lb boat. Thought about getting a small fuel efficient car to daily drive but I can buy alot of fuel for the price of a $2,000 car. It would take about 20,000 miles of driving in that $2K car to break even not counting insurance and inevitably repairs and maintanence.

48907123_10156123203153786_7502029937247780864_n.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Downsize to a Capri, or FWC camper. No rear overhang types, for 1/2 ton trucks.

A big Ford won't hardly know it's there. Daily driving a large camper, is absolutely not what I want to do. But the smaller ones are cake. Keep your weight way down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles