Anyone convert their patio bbq to take camping? Hear me out

leftcoastal

After looking at a bunch of overpriced grills that either lack in cooking surface or BTU's I'm half tempted to chop the sides and base off our Home Depot Charbroil 4 burner grill. Eating well is a big part of our camping experience and we both like to cook (family of 3).

Was looking at the Blackstone 1666 but this grill I have is about the same footprint but with more grill surface,btu's, and has affordable replacement parts.

My idea is to take this cargo carrier I have enroute (needed it for a big trip) that turns into a table into a bbq/cook top.
Leader Accessories Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier With Stand Foldable Cargo Basket 60" L x 20" W x 5" H with 500 LB Capacity Fits 2" Receiver https://a.co/d/bCG9U5b

What say you? I'm sure others have done this but I can't search them out.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Around here it is common to see people both in campgrounds and dispersed camping areas with full on patio barbecues. They just throw the whole thing in the back of a pickup and bungee the lid down for transport. Bearing in mind this is the same crowd that will get a Malibu stuck on a 4x4 trail, but they are still camping… and they are all smiling.

leftcoastal

Lol I heard that. You can't judge how another man parties if he's smiling.

I just want a big foot print grill top that packs up fairly easy. Tired of standing at a low output grill watching other people eat. I know my grill and it works!

craig333

Expedition Leader
I have nice one I got at camping world. Like a patio bbq but a smaller footprint. Comes with legs but I usually just set it on a table (make sure its something that won't melt or catch fire). Unfortunately camping world no longer carries it. I'll be upset when it finally rusts away.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I will also say that for most backyard grills, the cooking surface assembly unbolts from the pedestal/roller base with no more than 4 screws. Convert those to thumbscrews and you could make it a break-down grill without much trouble.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
If you have the room to carry it and the desire to make it work, I say 100% yes doable and you should do it.

In college I had a coleman pop up BBQ thing. I think it was called the sportster or traveller or something like that. I got it for xmas and used it all the time. Couldn't BBQ in the dorm areas and I used it camping all the time. It was small enough to fit with all my gear in the bed of my truck. Decent cooking surface. It could run off of a small green propane bottle or a propane tank.

I ended up trading it for a really nice sleeping bag when I left flagstaff and I still use the sleeping bag to this day lol

leftcoastal

I have nice one I got at camping world. Like a patio bbq but a smaller footprint. Comes with legs but I usually just set it on a table (make sure its something that won't melt or catch fire). Unfortunately camping world no longer carries it. I'll be upset when it finally rusts away.

Any pics?

leftcoastal

I will also say that for most backyard grills, the cooking surface assembly unbolts from the pedestal/roller base with no more than 4 screws. Convert those to thumbscrews and you could make it a break-down grill without much trouble.

Exactly. I may even use the cargo table at home as my bbq is not real sturdy on those 4 screws.

TwinStick

Explorer
We have the All American Grill from the Made in America Store. It is for charcoal but has a threaded bung with plug in bottom center, so it can be made to run on propane without too much trouble. We love it. Stores into itself. It will last generations with just a little care.

Kevinm

Ive been really happy with my Martin bbq i got off amazon. Its basically a mini fullsize bbq, it even has the 2nd tier warming rack. Build quality is what you would expect at that price point but it gets the job done and plenty of heat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier