Anyone bring firearms with them on trips?

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
we usually do.

12guage 870 shotgun in a quick release encosed action lock...fits in the trunk of my dd.

trying to get a setup for my ruger sp101, too, as its a great packin' pistol. fairly light, very stout, shoots .38 special or .357mag.

thinkin' about a "gunvault" lockbox that is opened much like my longgun lock...

has a five button keypad with key override. very cool. completely safe to completely ready for use in about 2seconds....not bad!

here's the gunvault...bolts to anything sturdy...

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
here's the longgun lock...

completely covers the action and springs open automatically when keyed.

i think they discontinued them, but you can still find em on ebay.

both these are legal in commie-fornia for auto-carry, and both can be dismounted from their brackets to carry into a hotel or to a campsite/tent etc...

we had ours in our tent in glacier national park (shhh!) when there were reports of bears, wolves and mountain lions within a mile of camp..lol. no problem at all. it just sat perfectly safe all week with no issues. (you should know that its legal to have a gun in your car, unloaded and locked in a national park, but you can't take it out of your car. we figured we'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6, and put it in our tent with us.)

edit: oh, and i've had mine for 3 or 4 years now, with absolutely no problems. i change the battery once a year or so, but with probably 100 to 150 openings per year, i haven't had any battery issues(duracell). if i did i could just use the key anyways.

Last edited:

Willman

kodiak1232003 said:
we usually do.

12guage 870 shotgun in a quick release encosed action lock...fits in the trunk of my dd.

trying to get a setup for my ruger sp101, too, as its a great packin' pistol. fairly light, very stout, shoots .38 special or .357mag.

thinkin' about a "gunvault" lockbox that is opened much like my longgun lock...

has a five button keypad with key override. very cool. completely safe to completely ready for use in about 2seconds....not bad!

here's the gunvault...bolts to anything sturdy...

I pack a firearm myself in my rig.....never know what you will cross out their..I also think of the firearm as personal protection, survial just incase you need to hunt for food.......

:REOutCampFire03:

Good idea on the locking box...I bet this will provide a great piece of mind!

:REOutShootinghunter

Scott Brady

Founder
I used to, then I started visiting countries were I could not (legally). Now I feel very safe in my own country and don't feel the need in most cases.

Just a personal thing. I prefered the experience without a firearm more than with.

When Stephanie and I travel solo, I sometimes bring a firearm along, as protecting her is my first responsibility. I have a sweet HK .45 with Galco leather.

I like guns and own a bunch of them. I am cool with hunting too (for food, not killing for sport), and would like to put in for Elk this year.

Willman

expeditionswest said:
I am cool with hunting too (for food, not killing for sport), and would like to put in for Elk this year.

Boy do i have the place for you!!! The in-laws have some land here with a bunch of Elk roaming around!

We'll have to plan something for ya Scott!

:ar15: :cow: = :chowtime:

:ylsmoke:

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
I used to, then I started visiting countries were I could not (legally). Now I feel very safe in my own country and don't feel the need in most cases.

Just a personal thing. I prefered the experience without a firearm more than with.

When Stephanie and I travel solo, I sometimes bring a firearm along, as protecting her is my first responsibility. I have a sweet HK .45 with Galco leather.

I like guns and own a bunch of them. I am cool with hunting too (for food, not killing for sport), and would like to put in for Elk this year.

yeah, i know how you feel...been all around europe and china mostly and coming back here made home feel very safe..lol.

if my shotty and my revolver ride around with us in our travels for the rest of our lives and NEVER are deployed against a two-legged predator, that is just fine by me.

i find that its just a peace of mind thing, especially with the way that (unfortunately) we are encroaching on the habitats of large predators. not their fault (bears, mtn. lions, etc..), they're just doing their thing....

they're just not going to be doing there thing with MY family...lol :ar15:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
If I am travelling with a group...then I leave the firearms at home. When I travel solo, I usually take a handgun.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Yup...I usually bring along my .45 Colt 1911.
I usually travel solo and had the dubious distinction of being run off the road by some rednecks years ago. Now I am better prepared for self defence.

:sombrero:

Skillet

Adventurer
Sig .40 hides securely in the rig when solo with the GF. As Scott said, first responsibility.

When in groups, I am not worried about it.

However, when we go with the intention of shooting, we bring a little more :ar15:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
goodtimes said:
If I am travelling with a group...then I leave the firearms at home. When I travel solo, I usually take a handgun.

I do the same. I take a 9mm not that it would do much harm... mostly make a bang and scare away (at least I would hope!)

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Always carry a shotgun. Hope to never use it. But my wife and children are more important to me than a cougar and other wildcats we have here in California. Although I am aware that we are on their territory and I try to tread as lightly as possible, not disturbing the natural wildlife, you never know what you may come across or what may come across me. Like kodiak1232003 said, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 if it meant the safety of my family.

Clutch

<---Pass
You never know what you'll run into out there...

4.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going. For day trips, normally, no. For overnights, I normally take a .357 for protection. Of course, last time I went camping (last year) one of the activities we planned was a little target shooting so I brought a representative sample of my "arsenal" along with appropriate ammo and targets (2l plastic bottles filled with water were the best, and much easier to clean up than glass.) I generally don't keep the pistol loaded until I stop for the night. Once I get my CCW (should be this week) I'll probably pack whenever I leave town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles