Anyone boon-docking a Lance 650?

jetlag

My ideal camper really is a custom build but I just don't have the patience for the current lead times so I am thinking of a 650.

Questions for people that have owned one or experienced one:
  1. Is there enough room in the battery compartment to add a second?
  2. How is the draw on the stock Dometic fridge if you want to stay in 12V and preserve your propane?
  3. How is the electric and propane draw from the stock furnace in sub freezing temps?
The Northstar Liberty seems a little better suited but unfortunately the big convertible dinette on the Lance is a must have.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
I currently have a northstar tc650, been very comfortable for a party of two.
DO NOT rely on 12v for any long-term operation of your refrigerator unless you are on the road or connected to shore power and running through the inverter.
Said camper is currently on the auction block, moving to a hardside.

jetlag

Thanks. Yeah meanwhile everyone I know building out off grid vans are only going 12V so that they can run off solar indefinitely. But i'm reading most TC manufacturers throw really inefficient fridges in their units assuming most people are always at a campground.

kodiak-black

Observer
I own a Northstar Liberty optioned with the 12v compressor fridge which was like a $125 option. Well worth it, very efficient. I run 200 amp hours of Lithium and have 200 watts of solar on the roof. It does fantastic.

jetlag

The Liberty is becoming more and more attractive with it's second battery space and ability to have two proper 20 lbs upright propane tanks.

So with 200W solar and 200 ah lithiums, is that enough solar to top the batteries off most days while camping? What are you usually at in the morning using lights and the fridge running all night? Have you used the furnace much?

Last edited:

kodiak-black

Observer
Yes the 200 ah and 200 watts of solar have been enough to run my system without issue. So much so that I am yet to run the cables for my DC/DC charge controller. I recently installed a 1000 watt inverter so my wife can occasionally use the microwave. I nuked my coffee for 1 minute and the ah drain was significant while running but solar topped me off within 60 minutes. And yes 2 Renogy 100 ah Lithium batteries fit perfectly within my battery compartment.

jetlag

Wow thanks for the info!! Exactly what I needed to hear. I'll be curious how much the stock furnace draws in electricity if you get out in the snow and how it compares to a Propex. There's so little info on the furnace it comes with, I can't even find the mode number.

zb39

Adventurer
I have been running RV fridges on propane for decades. My current Host ran my fridge and my furnace and stove for 40 days on one 7.5 gal tank. I have 2. Of course the fridge was on all the time, not the stove or furnace. But both were used many times. FWIW

RyanPartridge

My camper isn’t a Lance, and not sure if this info will be of much help but…
I’ve got a 12v Dometic fridge, 340w of solar on the roof and 200ah lithium batteries(AmpreTime).
I just picked up my camper a few weeks ago, and since then, while parked in my driveway, I’ve kept the fridge running(on medium setting)and MaxxAir fan running on high setting 24-7. I’ve also turned on lights while working in the camper regularly too.
Every single day for the last several weeks have been somewhat sunny until around noon, followed by clouds and thunderstorms through the rest of the day.
So far…the batteries have stayed maintained and topped off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier