Anybody switched from Montero to XJ and can share your experience?

drabina

I need a winter/trip 4x4 vehicle. Originally, I wanted to get a Mitsubishi Montero but every time I browse the "for sale" ads, I see like 40 XJ Cherokees to 1 Montero (full size, not sport). I know that Montero is bigger, maybe better stock and cheaper but it also looks like it is harder to find. The same probably applies to parts. I am not looking to build it for extreme overlanding adventures. I just need something that's reliable for fishing/camping trips (read: fire roads) and few snow days a year that we have here in NJ. The Jeep will most likely get a hitch bike carrier, roof rack and AT tires. That's all. So my question to fellow Jeep owners is: have you switched from Montero to Jeep Cherokee XJ? Are you happy with your decision? Any major differences, things you miss or happy that you have now? I guess my main concern is the interior size of a XJ. Back in the 90s I had a Grand Cherokee and it wasn't a big SUV by any means. I could pack two or three times as many things in my Chevy wagon.

scrubber3

Not really here
I need a winter/trip 4x4 vehicle. Originally, I wanted to get a Mitsubishi Montero but every time I browse the "for sale" ads, I see like 40 XJ Cherokees to 1 Montero (full size, not sport). I know that Montero is bigger, maybe better stock and cheaper but it also looks like it is harder to find. The same probably applies to parts. I am not looking to build it for extreme overlanding adventures. I just need something that's reliable for fishing/camping trips (read: fire roads) and few snow days a year that we have here in NJ. The Jeep will most likely get a hitch bike carrier, roof rack and AT tires. That's all. So my question to fellow Jeep owners is: have you switched from Montero to Jeep Cherokee XJ? Are you happy with your decision? Any major differences, things you miss or happy that you have now? I guess my main concern is the interior size of a XJ. Back in the 90s I had a Grand Cherokee and it wasn't a big SUV by any means. I could pack two or three times as many things in my Chevy wagon.
I actually had a 95 montero. Did many things to to and took it places it had no business going. It always got me there and got me home. I sold it and got a taco TRD offroad. Fast forward a few years and now I have a 2001 XJ. Parts are everywhere and I've done a few things to it and with it, but as of right now it's in need of a few repairs and extra enhancements. I can find anything I need fast and cheap. I could never say that about the montero. Not even a little. When I did look for parts for it, I had to rummage through the endless results of montero SPORT crap I wasn't looking for. I do miss the montero though. A great deal of things were done driving that thing. Although I think I'm just fine with the XJ and am happy to have it. To summarize: the montero was great but a pain in the butt to find anything for and it wasn't the easiest to work on. The XJ needs a little bit to hang, but that little bit is easy to find and cheap. Interior room between the two is actually somewhat comparable with the edge going to the Japanese design.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
If you are short(ish) and fit in an XJ, buy one for all the reasons you stated.
There are 3 major differences besides cabin size:
1. The suspension in the XJ is far superior to a Monty for off road use

2. The build quality and durability of a Monty is probably 100x over the XJ. Jeep sold the XJ as its cheapest model. Mitsubishi sold the Monty as its flagship. If rattling down dirt roads with uncountable squeks and rattles and visible shaking of the interiordoesnt bug you, then the XJ is for you. Bigger tires and a better radio will fix that noise, right?

3. The XJ doesn’t have much of a frame. Should you end up wanting to build it up (and most do), you’ll need to buttress the unibody quite a lot. The Montero however, can run 1,000 mile off road rallies without issue.

drabina

Thanks for the replies. I will not be building it so I would need to compare pretty much stock abilities and comfort. Looks like the edge there goes for Montero. I am 6'4" so based on your replies, I better check the fit before I start looking for a XJ. But the car and parts availability is a strong point for the Jeep. Another aspect is that I like the gen 1 and gen 2 Monteros. Not crazy about the gen 3 which in my opinion looks like every other SUV. Those gens (1 or 2) are hard to find these days. Cherokee looks pretty much the same throughout the 20 or so years of its history so if I get 1990 or 2000 I will get the boxy look I like.

plh

Explorer
Even the newest Montero imported to the USA is 15 years old. Not many came here in their last years of import thus you don't find them today easily. XJ parts are everywhere as already stated. You may need to wait for certain Montero repair parts to be shipped to you, some from overseas. Yeah, last Gen 2 (2.5) was MY 2000 - getting very old at this point. BTW - I've owned all generations and currently own a Gen 1 and Gen 3. Gen 3 is by far the best. From your date range of 20 to 30 year old vehicles you must not be afraid to put work into them. No matter what you buy, old ones need repairs. Basically every 20 year old vehicle is at end of life.

alanymarce

We had a Pajero (=Montero) in Africa briefly, then replaced it with a Patrol. The Pajero was OK but the track was a lot narrower so on very uneven tracks it felt less secure.

We've owned an XJ (bought in Texas, shipped to Europe and used there for 110,000 miles) - zero problems, capable, but a bit limited in space, and the build quality was poor compared with European and Japanese products. Had a couple more Jeeps after that and the build quality was better, but still a bit limited in space. We've also used a Grand Cherokee in Canada - more bells and whistles, comfortable and capable, however still limited in space.

Since then we've owned a couple of X Trails which have been excellent (took one to Tierra de Fuego and back), good quality, 100% reliable, and about as spacious as the XJ. The XJ was more capable "off road" but not by much in our experience.

We had a LC80 for two years, in Africa (concurrently with our current vehicle) and it was very capable, comfortable, and roomy, however finding a low Km one is difficult to impossible.

When we replaced the second X Trail we ended up with our current Montero (Mk 4), which has taken us around Australia and is, I think, the best of all of these. It's spacious, well-equipped, comfortable, roomy, and has taken us everywhere we have wanted to go. In terms of "off road" capability it's almost as good as the Patrol and LC80, and better than any of the Jeeps and the X Trails.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
If you like the concept of the XJ, but wish for something a bit more modern, you might consider the Hummer H3, which is the spiritual successor to the XJ, though its from GM instead of Chrysler. Fits 35's without a lift, superbly flexible leaf springs, lightweight body, dirt simple drive train, and perfect wheelbase dimensions. At 6'-4", you are the edge of being able to fit in it. You need to test that out for sure. Also if that is too expensive, it's hard to beat the 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ or 2005-2010 WK version . They are cheap, very comfortable, have superb suspension (for off road), good aftermarket support (WJ), and excellent parts availability. I would only consider the Limited or Overland trim (newer models only). The available 4wd systems are a bit confusing, but you want the Quadra-Drive II, instead of Quadra-Trak II due to locking diff's. They come with the same 4.0L inline 6 cyclinder from the Jeep Wrangler, or the 4.7L V8. The 6 cylinder is bulletproof, and the V8 is considered very unreliable, but its actually fantastic, because its unreliable in very consistent ways, thus easy to maintain and MAKE it reliable. I can go into this in more detail if you have questions. There is a High Output version of the 4.7L. That would be the one to get if you can. There are lots of online resources for maintaining and modifying the Grand Cherokee's, because they sold a TON of them compared to the Montero.

I should mention that I am 6'-7" and my son is about 6'-10", and we both find the WJ comfortable.

I've owned a Montero Gen 2, Gen 2.5, and Gen 3. My son owned a Grand Cherokee WJ, and I maintained all of them.

alanymarce

Both Monteros and XJ's are now going to be either a beater (around town, not traveling) or a novelty (you treat garage time as recreation of its own sort, clean and fix stuff the same way other people might work in a garden...) - I would not consider either one of those vehicles for travel if I wasn't also planning to put a ton of work and money into their long term repair and maintenance. Entropy makes no exceptions here.

So:
  • If you want the classic car experience with Saturdays in the garage performing recreational maintenance, and a great travel vehicle once you have committed the work (but keep that AAA membership up, too...) - a Montero is perfect.
  • If you want an all purpose, all weather travel vehicle then you're going to want something less than 10-12 years old and which sold a lot of units so there's a lot of repair aftermarket (not to be confused with modification aftermarket) - that means grand cherokees, trailblazer/envoy/ascenders, durangos, libertys, 4runners, hummer H3's, tahoes, honda pilots (yes really).. and then you'll probably not want to change a lot about it.

Based on our experience I think you're being more negative than warranted. Our Montero has required zero work in 5-1/2 years - we follow the maintenance schedule rigorously, and have had to do nothing other than this. We did unintentionally adjust the exhaust downpipe once (hit a rock which we thought was a clump of grass - adjusted the gasket with a bit of "gun gum" and it's been fine ever since). Recreational maintenance - zero.

This has included a lot of travel on unsurfaced tracks, river crossings, mud, rocky surfaces, and sand.

We tried an XJ when we bought the Montero and although it would be a lot more capable in "rock crawling" mode it was not big enough inside, nor comfortable enough in terms of ride to be a viable option for overlanding (which opinion was confirmed on a subsequent trip in one in Canada.

re the other vehicles mentioned:

- grand cherokees - we've used one in Canada - good vehicle, but I wouldn't take one overlanding,
- trailblazer/envoy/ascenders, durangos, libertys, tahoes, honda pilots - ditto and most of these will present problems in maintenance and spares in much of the world,
- 4runners - had one in Congo and it was OK but the suspension was far too solid to be comfortable on the "roads" there.
- hummer H3's - I have difficulty imagining a less comfortable and practical vehicle for overlanding (having said which, I've never driven one, so am ignorant and so should have no opinion, other than based on the fact that I have only ever seen one in private hands outside a city - and that was in Switzerland on the motorway).

alanymarce

OP is in NJ, USA where the newest Montero will be 15 years old at this point. We never got 4th gens in the USA.
Good point. I suppose that importing one would not make sense? You can find good ones from Japan which are 3 years old (because of the tight inspection requirements). Probably a silly idea though...

drabina

So:
  • If you want a winter beater for getting around town it's tough to beat a 2nd or 3rd gen Montero for the true awd + 4wd super select transfer case, but the AWD wagoneer XJ's are cool for this too
  • If you want the classic car experience with Saturdays in the garage performing recreational maintenance, and a great travel vehicle once you have committed the work (but keep that AAA membership up, too...) - a Montero is perfect.
  • If you want to bolt together some big ol tires and dana 60's and a seat to roll off a trailer and go rock crawling, an XJ makes a decent metal tube to install between those axles.
  • If you want an all purpose, all weather travel vehicle then you're going to want something less than 10-12 years old and which sold a lot of units so there's a lot of repair aftermarket (not to be confused with modification aftermarket) - that means grand cherokees, trailblazer/envoy/ascenders, durangos, libertys, 4runners, hummer H3's, tahoes, honda pilots (yes really).. and then you'll probably not want to change a lot about it.
I am definitely one of the first two bullets. Hauling my butt around the town during winter and occasional weekend trips in nicer months. As far as off-roading, the fire roads are probably the extend of how far I will take the "new old" 4x4. :)

Good point. I suppose that importing one would not make sense? You can find good ones from Japan which are 3 years old (because of the tight inspection requirements). Probably a silly idea though...
I rather get older one that I can find parts for locally rather than importing something that was never produced in US. I am not new to older cars. Few years back, I had 1970 Chevy that with a bit of work (and few visits to a mechanic) I turned into a daily driver. It was fun to work on it and to drive it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94