Anybody runs 33x9.5 tires!

4X4VET

I can get a good deal on 33x9.5 tires and was wondering about the tire's performance, has anyone used these? I love the look of tall/skinny tires. What do rigs look like with those tires?

Thanks

alexfm

Explorer
I can get a good deal on 33x9.5 tires and was wondering about the tire's performance, has anyone used these? I love the look of tall/skinny tires. What do rigs look like with those tires?

Thanks

I considered a set of those, but I went a different direction with my Jeep (no lift). But the one's i looked at were pretty nice. The terrain you'll be driving on most of the time kinda factors into this as well. Out here where I'm at, tall and skinny isn't great, because there's a lot of sand. But that's just my 2¢.

EDIT: I just saw that your i the same place as me. :snorkel: So you know what the terrain is like here. I think the skinny tires'll do well i the dirt, but not too great out at Red Sands for an example. But its all up to personal preference. If you haven't already, take a look around at Tire Club, they've got a pretty good selection of off0road tires.

Patman

Explorer
Not on a Jeep, but I run them, and am amazed at how well they work.

My rig is simple, no locker and I have yet to find a surface where I wished I had a different size was hurting for traction. Although I haven't had it in DEEP sand or Snow. On my 5k lb wagon, at 20 PSI they are GLUE in most situations. Having had the same rig on 12.50's on an 8" wheel, I much prefer the skinnier tire.

I'm running Dean SXT Mud Terrains (Cooper off brand) on a 6" wide wheel. More of an A/T tan an M/T

DSCN2387.jpg

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
Years ago I ran them on a CJ-7. Couldn't get them off fast enough. But then again, I used it mainly for moderate off road stuff. Might be just fine for an XJ and regular trails???

edit: Forgot to mention that I'm now running BFG KM2's 33 x 10.50 on my XJ and LOVE THEM.

Last edited:

Brigitta

Observer
back in the 90's we ran the BFG M/T's in 33x9.50 and loved them. Great in mud/snow, had good traction for running the Rubicon, not so great in sand.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: They're WAY to skinny for my FAT JKU-

I'll stick with Lt295/75x16 (11.5")

I'm in the NorNv desert-don't want skinny tires !!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

x32792

Adventurer
'Scanned in a couple 33x9.50 pics'

img014.jpg

Great for giving you more ground clearance with less unsprung weight, but in sand and mud...not so good.

Brigitta

Observer
:sombrero: They're WAY to skinny for my FAT JKU-

I'll stick with Lt295/75x16 (11.5")

I'm in the NorNv desert-don't want skinny tires !!

We ran them all over northern NV/CA and never had a problem. That 4Runner was my daily driver which we often took wheeling on all types of trails from mild to wild. For hardcore rock crawling I run a 12.50 on my JKU, but for overlanding I think the 9.50 would be fine.

Brigitta

Observer
Great for giving you more ground clearance with less unsprung weight, but in sand and mud...not so good.

Actually that skinny tire did awesome in mud. At the time we ran those tires I lived off a dirt road and would take a "short cut" to my mother-in-laws house. It was an old back road that was flooded for most of the winter and spring. I would drive 8 miles through 8-10" of mud and never got stuck.

My experience with them was great!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: That all may be true, but after 10 years in the Sierras and BUTTE cty SAR--sometimes 12 ft of snow--

That was no place for skinny tires and after years of that-I'll stay with a substancial footprint for my jeep-

The same with soft sand, low airpressure low speed--BIG FEET-no dig !

Last edited:

outdoors

Observer
Skinny (9.50's) for the mud unless you have mega hp.. but with snow and sand lay more tread width down.. For mpg's and mud get the skinny ones...
Here's when I had my skinnies.. On my old LJ.. listen too the gal on audio as this spot no one could make it up that day.

Last edited:

4X4VET

WOW!
those skinny tires on the toyota and jeep look nice!
How do they perform in the highway? (specially 9.50 wide)are they OK for overlanding/long trips?

matt s

Explorer
I run them on my blazer. They have been great. Awesome in snow. No not feet deep but the daily driving on snow and ice. Actually as long as there is a bottom they are fantastic. Mud hubs deep and dragging diffs no problem. Snow bumper deep no problem.

Deep mud, Deep snow (off road winter trail etc) they are probably not the ticket. But for 99% of my driving they fit the bill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles