Anybody running 235/80/17’s on a full size?

huntsonora

Explorer
Picked up a F150 supercrew with the 2.7 ecoboost for work but need to get better tires on it ASAP. it has the 245/70/17’s on the, from the factory and don’t want to get too crazy on size so I maintain my mileage

thoughts?

billiebob

Essentially 235/80R17s are 235/85R16s, the most common tire ever for F250/F350s 40 years ago. I think the 235/80s will be a fabulous choice...
and likely the best choice considering $$$$$$.

Grassland

I ran LT235/80R17 on my F150 when it was in fleet. I enjoyed the fuel economy. Handled way better than the garbage stock P rated 235/75R17.
But didn't really run off road with them. They also didn't wear well and chunked the tread a bit, but the truck ran with 1600-1800 lbs in it and towed a 2500# trailer every day for 2 years with those tires (BFG KO2)
LT245/75R17 is also a good choice.

huntsonora

Explorer
I ran the 235/85/16’s on my old 3rd gen 4Runnee but didn’t know if that skinny a tire would look stupid on the bigger f150. I’ll probably give them a go

GoinBoardin

Observer
I have a 235/85r16 on my f150. They're skinny for sure. They work well aired down. To support a given weight, they need more pressure than a larger volume tire. This can make them a bit harsh. So I find myself airing down/up/down/up much more often than when I had 33x10.5 tires. The higher volume tire is easier to run a safe road pressure that's tolerable for easier dirt pursuits. That's the biggest drawback I think.

huntsonora

Explorer
I hear that. I’m leaning towards the 235/80/17 vs the 255/85/17 because of the 7lb difference in weight

1stDeuce

Explorer
I ran 235/80R17's on my 2500 for several years. Nothing wrong with that size. I know they are both technically called 235 width, but in my experience, a 235/80R17 is a little wider than a 235/85R16 of the same tread. End result is that the 17" version looks a little less skinny in many of the sizes.

FWIW, I think it's a great size for many half ton trucks, and I'll second the 245/75R17 as an additional alternative size. Both offer additional ground clearance without the drag of a significantly taller or wider tire. Properly aired down, you have nothing to fear in sand or other soft surfaces, and a narrower tire on stock wheels will produce less rubbing issues than a wider tire on stock or aftermarket wheels. They also do better on snowy roads, or in really heavy rain, vs. a wider tire of the same tread.

A few pics in my 2500 thread show the 235's on white wheels. (Bottom of 2nd page) My best mileage numbers were recorded with those tires. Many people complain about the ride quality of LT tires on a light truck, but I'm running E rated LT's on our Comanche and my Jeep, and running them at proper pressures, they ride about the same to me. (IE, around what your door sticker says, not at the "Max inflation pressure" listed on the tire.) :)

And the 255 size is 255/80R17. It's about an inch taller, and an inch wider. I'm running those on my truck and jeep now, and I like that size too, but they are taller, wider, heavier, and more expensive. Everything is a tradeoff. :)

huntsonora

Explorer
Put them on today and drove It around and they were loud. Don’t know if an aluminum body truck had anything to do with it but it was pretty bad. Made a switch to the BFG AT KO’s in 245/75/17 and it was night and day difference. Only lose 1/8” of clearance or so

Grassland

Put them on today and drove It around and they were loud. Don’t know if an aluminum body truck had anything to do with it but it was pretty bad. Made a switch to the BFG AT KO’s in 245/75/17 and it was night and day difference. Only lose 1/8” of clearance or so
What brand tire was the first one that was loud? Also a KO2?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles