Anybody Paint there 4x4 Van lately? Cost?

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
I found it hard to find anyone who would paint a whole van, only interested in either small crash repair style paint, or a 20k+ show quality job. In the end, got it done for 4.5k, would have been cheaper if I hadn’t done a color change and there for no door jams, or picked a cheaper quality paint / a single stage paint.

848-albums1592-picture46867.jpeg

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Beautiful van, @SheepShagger!

I'd say $4.5k is a steal these days. The price of quality paint and quality work have gone through the roof, as they should've IMO, even though I hate it every time I go to have some paint mixed.

I would second going with quality paint and not skimping on the job if you like the vehicle.

Standing by for the onslaught of people to say 'just Raptor line the whole thing'. Which is not a bad idea, honestly, if you can look at it.

turbodiesel

I'm getting ready to monstaliner my van since I thought the repaint at 5K was a bit much for a van that I beat up on trails/climbing and camping. Probably going to run less than $500 with all prep done. The look isn't for everyone though.

VANMAN

Observer
Hmmm. Collector....do our vans qualify as collectors? I do get it out,,,,sage brush pin striping etc... I think single stage Urethane may be way to go....better long term...if paint is thick enough should be able to get pin stripes out....keep it looking good for years to come......

Relative merits of single stage versus Basecoat clear coat...I think (my opinion) single stage may be better option....don't necessarily think base coat/clearcoat is being done today because it is better....there are many things that drove industry that way...$$$. course only my opinion...

I do have a penthouse pop top...which complicates paint job...a little...I am changing colors so...doorjams...etc...When they did your van id they remove rubber...handles mirrors..etc...or just tape around it?

Last edited:

VANMAN

Observer
Don't want to Raptor line the whole thing.....I am doing penthouse and roof...raptor liner. (I do think LINEX is much better/It is also thicker and heavier)

Steve_382

The paint on my pop top started fading while the factory paint was still fine. Cost me $2,200 just for the top, but they did a good job. What ever happened to Earl Scheib Paint & Body? They used to do an entire car for $199 or something.

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
Relative merits of single stage versus Basecoat clear coat...I think (my opinion) single stage may be better option....don't necessarily think base coat/clearcoat is being done today because it is better....there are many things that drove industry that way...$$$. course only my opinion...

I do have a penthouse pop top...which complicates paint job...a little...I am changing colors so...doorjams...etc...When they did your van id they remove rubber...handles mirrors..etc...or just tape around it?

I went round and round on the two stage vs single stage, get’s even more complicated when you consider some of the single stage paint formula’s that have the clear mixed in with the base.
But ultimately with a quality clear it will be a lot tougher than single, so while fixing deep pin stripes will be impossible, the same pin stripe on a single stage has probably gone to metal/primer anyway making it just as impossible to fix. Well that’s where I ended up my final thought process, may well be incorrect. But i do totally agree a light scratch can easily be rectified on single stage and can’t on 2 stage if it’s gone through the clear.

I also don;t like bed liner products on body panels, so that was out of the question. I did however bed-liner all the flairs, bumpers, steps, rack and ladder.

Yes, all lights / door rubber / inside trim etc was removed, Glass and door handles were not, they were masked.

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
I'm getting ready to monstaliner my van since I thought the repaint at 5K was a bit much for a van that I beat up on trails/climbing and camping. Probably going to run less than $500 with all prep done. The look isn't for everyone though.

If you do the job properly, it’ll probably be a little more than that. Remember that bedliner products are not really waterproof, which is why they recommend an epoxy primer if you go to bare metal. Epoxy primer is waterproof unlike other primers, but it’s also a lot more expensive and harder to spray. So if you sand to metal / past the base coat or repair any areas you should do an epoxy primer before the bedliner. Other thing to remember is not all bedliner are equally UV resistant which is why you’ll see some discolour.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
4.5...wish I found someone to do it for that! Nice paint job....Black van!
Your paint job will be what your budget allows..
I asked earlier if your vehicle is collectable, , I'm sure eventually it will cost more to replace. If it is rare or collectable and not being used as built, that's a different issue .Putting a nice paint job on a "overlanding machine " seems unnecessary.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I bought a new van 2 years ago. The only thing I could get was Pedophile white. A no body work, doors off, jams done right cost me $7k. Did not include the roof (covered in solar) and I did a lot of work stripping it down to nearly not legal to get it there and back.

You have to have a good discussion about the level of paint you are expecting. You can still get a $500 blow and go that includes free overspray on everything and will fade out in a year. You can also spend 3 years and $50k to get something that needs to be transported inside an enclosed trailer to car shows. And there is the worlds in between. Quality of materials, labor on the prep, labor on the cut and buff. It will all cost you. If you accept some orange peel that can take out most all of the cut and buff. That is where paying more for a good painter using a good gun helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior