Anybody heard from Colorado Camper Vans?

bruno2000

I would recommend Action Van for a 2wd lift. We have rear u-bolts for our rear 6" spring, are you getting springs or giant blocks?
Im gonna use blocks on the rear they measure 5 inches, I already got some parts for the lift but I need u bolts and front and rear shocks

VANMAN

Observer
I have seen this happen many times....a guy is a great fabricator...does great work....THINKS he can run a business....gets behind....work goes downhill....stops answering calls...(Like problems get better with time and they are just going to go away-RIGHT?)

Guys like that need to work FOR someone with a better business sense....

Of Course it is great when you have both-Chris @Ujoint!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Did you look at the pics I posted? Not so much of a great fabricator.

And thanks, it's a balance but I'm always available and emails don't go more than 24hrs w/o being answered. Its a bit of an obsession because I expect the same when I send one.

primitive

Having bought from both CCV and Ujoint there is no comparison. CCV charged my CC a month before they started to ship anything. First shipment of parts was wrong. Repeated calls finally got most of the parts for the Quigley suspension, but never everything. That was over almost 3 months of calls. My favorite was the shocks I received form CCV 4 shocks, 3 of them different shocks, only on matching pair. How does one manage to do that and stay in business? I can't count how many times I called trying to find out where/when my parts would show up.
Ujoint was totally willing to work within my work schedule. As I'm offshore running boats with no normal time off schedule.
In hindsight I should have spent the extra money and converted the Quigley setup to a Ujoint setup.

medicfernando

Adventurer
Did you look at the pics I posted? Not so much of a great fabricator.

And thanks, it's a balance but I'm always available and emails don't go more than 24hrs w/o being answered. Its a bit of an obsession because I expect the same when I send one.
I have heard nothing but good stuff about U Joint. A friend of mine recently built his van using U Joint kit. Very nice. I do however, respectfully think that it is bad business practice for one business to bad mouth another. Just my two cents.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
There's a difference between badmouthing someone with nothing to back it up and what I've done.

If someone does bad work a hand needs to be raised for it to be called out. I don't like hearing stories over & over of bad workmanship. This is not just about CCV. I could go on and on about other "shops" and "mechanics" that do poor work, in our 4x4 van community and out. I deal with it every day. Have an Excursion here right now that we'll be fixing for a local guy, bought it out of CO and it has a hack job lift installed. Not safe, needs to be fixed. Do I want to fix others bad work? Not really but the new owner has nowhere else to go to. We're just finishing up a 7.3 van that was hacked on in so many ways its incredible, out of FL. This guy was supposedly a diesel mechanic and he should have his tools taken away from him. The new owner had to spend a lot of $ making it right.

If some of you consider this bad business I apologize.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
There's a difference between badmouthing someone with nothing to back it up and what I've done.

If someone does bad work a hand needs to be raised for it to be called out. I don't like hearing stories over & over of bad workmanship. This is not just about CCV. I could go on and on about other "shops" and "mechanics" that do poor work, in our 4x4 van community and out. I deal with it every day. Have an Excursion here right now that we'll be fixing for a local guy, bought it out of CO and it has a hack job lift installed. Not safe, needs to be fixed. Do I want to fix others bad work? Not really but the new owner has nowhere else to go to. We're just finishing up a 7.3 van that was hacked on in so many ways its incredible, out of FL. This guy was supposedly a diesel mechanic and he should have his tools taken away from him. The new owner had to spend a lot of $ making it right.

I agree with you 100% Chris. People who get paid as a professional and then end up doing hack work should be called out. I don't see anything wrong with pointing out unsafe or unprofessional work.

Augdog1964

I'm not looking for Colorado to do a 4x4... I'd only go to Chris for that... but Colorado's pop tops are the best out there...

medicfernando

Adventurer

I appreciate your explanation Chris. No excuses, no BS, just a good explanation of your intent. Again, I have heard nothing but good about UJoint.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I agree with you 100% Chris. People who get paid as a professional and then end up doing hack work should be called out. I don't see anything wrong with pointing out unsafe or unprofessional work.

Thanks, glad you agree! I don't like having to call things out, nobody does.

I appreciate your explanation Chris. No excuses, no BS, just a good explanation of your intent. Again, I have heard nothing but good about UJoint.

Thanks. Like I said above, don't like it but sometimes it has to be done.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
For the record, I emailed Derek a few weeks ago, he responded with a helpful reply within a few days. I replied with further questions, he replied helpfully again within a few days. Both times offered his phone # if I had further questions.
I'm disappointed in seeing some of his fab flops. I like many parts of his camper tops, and and at this time is the only competitor to SMB tops which seem to have their own workmanship issues from time to time. :( However, there is good news! MG Metalworks is working on a poptop, which from knowing their engineering skill (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/96155-MG-Metalworks-Quadvan-Build) is sure to blow both CCV and SMB's out of the water.

<hail> :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

mapper

Explorer
I called CCV last fall with some questions. Not only was my call answered immediately, by Derek's wife, I believe. She answered most of my questions. Then I was immediately put in contact with Derek, who answered the remainder of my questions. I didn't purchase anything but the service I received was excellent.

I know someone with one of their pop tops and camper interiors installed. I've certainly seen better workmanship but for what they paid, I thought the job was very fair. Not everyone needs, or is willing to pay for perfection. As long as they know what they are getting/paying for it is good business. It is nice to have options. My acquaintance also had a problem with a seal on the pop top and Derek came to their house, in Utah, to fix it.

I will say, however, that I also attempted to contact CCV through their webpage last fall and did not receive a response. That's when I decided to call the phone number on web page instead and my call was answered. It may be that emailing through their webpage is not the best way to contact them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior