Anybody else want a small USEABLE 4X4?

85_Ranger4x4

Or that grille either. FX4 is just springs, skid plates and the decal. At least I'm pretty sure that's what my FX4 package consists of. Not quite the same as the '09-'14 trucks where it was it's own trim level.

Oh.... And hill descent control. Which is actually pretty neat!

I tried it out for the first time in my truck this summer.

On the build your truck thing you can get the XLT special edition package, where it mentions the stickers it says they themselves are not available with FX4. Truck preview doesn't take them off though.

That would be pretty potent, even if you left it stock.

It has been done but is not the easiest of swaps at the moment.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If you order the truck, you can have the stripes omitted... If not, they are reeeeally easy to peel off.

I love that grill on the 18+ STX/Sport trucks.

The wheels are easy to sell on Craigslist. I sold my STX wheels for the same price that a buddy sold me his Sport rims when he went aftermarket.
I think by the time I'm ready to replace my current truck, there will be a new F-150 out, new Tundra, F-250 Tremors, Gobi Gladiators.....

And I'm sure by the time I'm ready to switch out my truck there will be used versions of these trucks or rebates on new....

timemachine

That would be pretty potent, even if you left it stock.
My wife has a Ford Escape with the Eco-boost it is a rocket up to about 85 mph. I told her one night while she was sleeping I was going to put it in my CJ7. Would be quite a difference from the 112 horsepower 4.2 liter.

dreadlocks

That little VW with a TDI would be pretty fun.

Thats the idea, Ive got an ALH motor already in my garage fully refurbed and ready to go.. The plan was to throw it into the TJ, but it requires so much custom work (ie, $$$) and the TJ wont fit into my trailer so it'd never leave colorado, my wife would have to drive it separately and follow me in the rig.. its got no top and been stripped down to rock crawler mode so its rather minimal (ie, miserable) to take any long distances.

My trailer is large enough to haul a 4 seater side by side, but those things are even more expensive than the Jeep project and not street legal.. The Iltis is roughly the same size as a side by side 4 seater, and my ALH motor will bolt right up to it w/almost no kludgery.. the little diesel w/the gasser gearing should make up for its lack of low speed transfer case.. Its got the exact same drivetrain as the original Audi Quattro, should be a nice little monster w/a diesel engine in it..

I'm not interested in anything not street legal, I want to be able to setup base camp wherever I want, unload my 4x4 and drive it right out of there and to the trail system w/out any legal issues or having to drag the trailer back and forth to the trails.

dreadlocks

in US? yeah.. finding one in Canada.. pretty easy, after all they are milsurp vehicles there, took me about a day to find a guy willing to sell me his for ~$5k and he'd even help me import it.

I imagine if I take it to a VW car show here, all beatup and rusting.. it'd win its category.. because it'd be the only one in whatever they put it in heh.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Thats the idea, Ive got an ALH motor already in my garage fully refurbed and ready to go.. The plan was to throw it into the TJ, but it requires so much custom work (ie, $$$) and the TJ wont fit into my trailer so it'd never leave colorado, my wife would have to drive it separately and follow me in the rig.. its got no top and been stripped down to rock crawler mode so its rather minimal (ie, miserable) to take any long distances.

My trailer is large enough to haul a 4 seater side by side, but those things are even more expensive than the Jeep project and not street legal.. The Iltis is roughly the same size as a side by side 4 seater, and my ALH motor will bolt right up to it w/almost no kludgery.. the little diesel w/the gasser gearing should make up for its lack of low speed transfer case.. Its got the exact same drivetrain as the original Audi Quattro, should be a nice little monster w/a diesel engine in it..

I'm not interested in anything not street legal, I want to be able to setup base camp wherever I want, unload my 4x4 and drive it right out of there and to the trail system w/out any legal issues or having to drag the trailer back and forth to the trails.
Can’t you flat tow the TJ?

I see quite a few big RV’s flat towing jeeps (don’t know which models tho) every summer in my western travels, especially in colo/utah area.

shade

in US? yeah.. finding one in Canada.. pretty easy, after all they are milsurp vehicles there, took me about a day to find a guy willing to sell me his for ~$5k and he'd even help me import it.
That's surprising. I figured with less than 10,000 produced and the age, most of them would be Harbor Freight jack stands by now.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

I imagine if I take it to a VW car show here, all beatup and rusting.. it'd win its category.. because it'd be the only one in whatever they put it in heh.
Yep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94