Anybody doing an LR3 as an off-road rig?

Bullsnake

Adventurer
I have been kicking this idea quite a bit lately, and I am curious as to what the viability of kitting out an LR3 for the occasional run out to Moab and Colorado. I currently have a 110 and an H1 Hummer, but the upkeep cost on the H1, along with the amount of funds that I have wrapped up in the truck are really starting to get to me. I figure roughly in big round numbers if I was to sell the H1 (06 Alpha wagon) and buy a nice late model HSE seven seater (I have the wife and three kids to haul along as well!) I would still be able to pocket ~$50K when all was said and done with the mods to the LR3. On top of the cash savings, I feel like ultimately the LR3 will be a much smoother riding, family friendly vehicle as well.

My main concerns are will the LR3 hold up to light off-roading (ie. a day running around with the kids following Dan Mick and a few other guys around Moab) and are there any real weaknesses with the LR3 platform? Are there "work arounds" for the weaknesses as well?

I am definitely NOT going to sell my 110-this will be in addition to that, but it is getting near impossible to get them into any of my current rigs to endure the 14 hr drive from my front door to downtown Moab. It's also hard to get them revved up about a 10hr ride to Colorado to do some off-roading and snowboarding in the mountains.

Anybody that has had some real world experience, or can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! I was out for the National Rally in Moab last year with my Alpha and I saw some newer rigs doing some incredible things-I just want to make sure they can do it more than once!

Thanks!

huskyfargo

Adventurer
My buddy bought an 08 LR3 a few months ago, and it's amazing. I took it on some medium trails last week, and I really wish I had his rig instead of my JK. I like the JK, but the LR has so much more power, is much more comfortable, and actually did just as well on the trail as my JK...maybe even better!
He and I are taking a cross-country trip this summer with 3 labs, and towing my Outlander Trailer. We were planning to take the JK since the trailer is built specifically to match, but I think we may be taking the LR instead.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I had an H1 and loved it but as you mention, the maintenance cost was horendous, and the wife never warmed to it. By contrast, there is nothing not to like about the LR3- extremely capable and sooo comfortable. I bought one with the sale of my 130- drove the 130 to Co. and the LR3 back, talk about night and day!! I sold the LR3 a year later and wish I hadn't. It will do fine following Dan around Moab, just add the 2" lift and a set of decent tires- I also had an ARB/winch- and prepare to be amazed. Downside? It makes it all too easy...

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Thanks for the post!

Is your JK the four door Unlimited? Just wondering as I have been in a few JK's that did more than I probably ever will out on the trail!

I know that posting this in the LR forum is going to have a biased response, but I am hoping that people can point me in the right direction that have been there already. What is currently available for the LR3? I have seen some type of lift, bumpers, and a few other odds and ends, but is there more than that?

Also, does one install lockers on these trucks, or does the electronic wizardry take care of most of the wheel slippage issues encountered on the trail? I know this is a decidedly low-tech question, but my previous history up to and including this point have all been vehicles with little to no electronic "assist" devices.

Thanks!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
rear E locker optional, but nonessential as the traction control does the deed. It will be fun having the LR3 as long as you keep the 110 for a purer experience me thinks, at least for me it works.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
Yes, my JK is an Unlimited Rubicon, loaded with all kinds of extra goodies.
The LR3 has some impressive electronics that take care of a lot of the off-roading details. As was mentioned above, it really makes it all too easy.

fishEH

Explorer
I went to the Rally last year in Moab and for the most part the LR3's did quite well. My thoughts are that a nicely set up LR3 is quite capable, especially in a dry, rocky setting. Their computer does a LOT of the thinking for you. Just point it and drive. It walked up obstacles that I had difficulty with. This was mostly due to the computer transferring power to the correct wheels. Me, in my unlocked D1, had to be much more choosy with what line I took. I also learned that LR3 drivers make crappy spotters, LOL.

I'd be cuious to see how they perform in muddy and heavily wooded areas. Because they're still fairly new, you don't see many go offroad in these types of areas.

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Thanks for the info Rovertrader!

It's good to hear from someone that has been on both sides of the fence! I really, REALLY like the Alpha, but it is expensive, noisy, harder and harder to get parts for, I have to ship it from Iowa to Ohio to have anything major done on it, and the kids are starting to complain about the third row seat headroom:elkgrin:

This is my third H1, so I'm a slow learner, but it is a lot of fun out and about off the pavement! I just have a feeling that from all angles the LR3 will make more sense than the Hummer, but I am sure having a hard time talking myself into selling it!

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Yeah, the 110 was a LONG time coming for me, and the truck I finally ended up with I think I would probably sell the house and move into before I would sell the truck!

I have had several Rovers in the past-90's, RR Classics, Disco I & II's, and even a new FF '08 Range Rover, but the LR3 has been the only odd-duck out that I haven't had. With the kids and wife I would love to have the added comfort, and it would make the trips West a lot more enjoyable for all parties involved.

Thanks again!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
A good person to ask is Nathan (Nwoods). He now runs a LWB wrangler, but he did a lot of exploring in his LR3.

He completed quite a few thoughtful mods to help it offroad, if I remember correctly, while still maintaining a fairly factory appearance. I'm sure he has a thread in the LR section.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Shaun (05LR3AZ) uses his pretty well.

http://www.azlro.org/gallery3/index.php/2011-Adventures/2011-Arizona-Land-Rover-Rally/Ajax?page=2

IMG_5845.JPG

Craig in our club does also, but I don't think he is on here.

Craig-5_getting_help_from_Doug_and_Bill_Burke.jpg

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
Aftermarket support for the LR3 has taken off over the last couple years. Winch setups, sliders, skids, etc are all available. The biggest limitation by far is the computer dependency. There are some electronic faults that are show stoppers. You should spend some time reading some of the LR3 specific forums.

Mack73

Adventurer
I just picked up an 08 LR3 HSE w/ rear locker. This is a fantastic rig and the best SUV I have driven or owned.

Central Diff lock is standard, rear is an option (can be hard to find). No one makes an aftermarket rear locker and adding the OEM locker is WAY too hard - but 1 person in the UK has done it. Honestly unless you really need it, the electronics make up for the lack of a diff pretty well.

Most aftermarket standards (skids, sliders, winch bumper, tire carriers) are available - but not a lot of choice and some are very expensive (kaymar rear tire carrier). You can even get a hidden winch to fit under the stock bumper which is nice.

Achellias heel is the airbag suspension. A very very small number of coil suspension cars were brought over in 2005 - all others are air bags. The problem is if a fault is detected by the computers or you rupture a bag or line the vehicle will fall to the bump stops. The maximum tire you can upgrade to without rubbing when on bump stops is a 265/65/18. Any larger and you will rub hard causing $$$$ of damage being pulled off the trail. There are a couple solutions to this - there are kits to plumb in fittings so you can inflate the airbags manually if the compressor or computers fail. But if you rupture a bag or line, you might be sol. The bumpstops are internal to the airbag strut and there really isn't a way to wedge in a lift to get it back up enough to roll with larger tires. Currently there is no way of removing the airbags like on earlier rovers. The airbags are too integrated with all of the computer systems and no one has been able to defeat the dependancies yet.

Smallest wheel that will fit is an 18". 17's can fit on the v6 models. This can cause the tire selection to be pretty small. (no MT's available in a size that will clear if you are on bumpstops)

Lifts - 2 choices. 1) use shorter height rods to trick the computer to raise the vehicle. Very cheap lift with no reported problems that I know of. 2) Spacers that sit on top of the airbags. There have been several reports of clearance problems with the upper control arms coming in contact and rupturing the airbags while offroading with spacers. This is pretty major and have kept many away from using the spacers (rear seems unaffected, but you have to buy them as a set). Best compromise seems to run the spacers in the rear with shorter rods in the front.

Overall the lr3 is extremely capable out of the box and I have no worries about taking it off road. But remember, this vehicle has something like 27 computers which can make for a mess at the worst times. There are computer solutions to give you complete access while on the trail which can get you through the major faults. But I do remember a story of an LR3 in australia that had a computer malfunction way out in nowhere, even with sat phones and LR techs they couldn't get the vehicle going again and had to abandon it.

EDIT: here's a good recent thread talking about the limitations of the LR3 offroad: http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthread.php?t=20014

Last edited:

Navman

Adventurer
I guess I would just echo everything that has already been said. The LR3 is a very capable. The electronics makes everything very easy and at the same time can be it's downfall. I think the downside has been overplayed since reported failures aren't as great as it seems. The same incidents are referred to many times on forums. I think everyone's biggest fear is being out in the middle of nowhere and being stuck on the bump stops. Again, I think actual incidents of this happening is relatively low.

At a recent Northern Cal LR club meeting, LR3-4s outnumbered all other vehicles. It seems like they've been out long enough that the tide has turned. There is now plenty of aftermarket support for these vehicles.

Oh, and the comfort factor cannot be dismissed. If you have to drive some distance on a road to get to the good stuff, you definitely appreciate the on-rad manners. After one long trip in the LR3, I sold my D1.

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Wow! Thanks everyone for your responses! I am still thinking hard about it as the LR3 will be a HUGE step down in off road capability compared to my modded H1, but at this point I'm not sure that I actually need that much performance when my actual off-roading is light trails with the family in Moab and Colorado with the family, and the rest of the time it is used to take the family's stuff to the beach, bike trails, or wherever.

One other question-What are the major differences between the LR3 and the LR4? Do most of the LR3 after market items bolt onto the LR4?

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier