Any videos of what an E350 can do with rear locker only

WVI

Adventurer
I installed a TuTrac, and I was stuck in our driveway for 2 weeks this past storm...BUT it was all sitting on ice, at tires aired full and no weight in the rear...
I've taken an open diff van many places that folks with 4x4 became stuck. Either way, just get used to what your rig can handle and tread accordingly.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
There is one situation, really, that I know of where 4wd is almost essential. (I put a lot of miles on a 2wd before finally going 4wd.) Happened to me - going down a really steep, loose, rocky road at the bottom of which was a deep washout (estimated 8' deep by 5' wide) cutting the road that nothing with wheels was going to cross. No place to turn around. I had to back up that hill but steep and loose as it was I could not back up - both tires were spinning. I ended up loading about a half ton of rock in the back of the van over the rear tires and having to walk the road and kick off a lot of the loose rock to get enough traction to back out of there. And the automatic transmission didn't like that backing up part much either.

Either of my 4wd vans, in 4-Lo and with the front tires pushing, would have backed out of there with no problem.

bumper crop

I have a 2003 e350, extended, with an Ox Locker. All I have is a picture right now but maybe I can get a video soon. We took it to the Cinder Hills OHV park in Flagstaff, AZ earlier this summer and I was really impressed with its ability to navigate the loose unconsolidated cinders. However I did get stuck on a hill that was about a 30% grade when I went off the more trodden path. I got it on my second attempt, staying in the track. The main trouble is I didn't regear it when I installed the locker so with 3.55 gears I run out of torque on steep stuff or with big ledges. I will have to see if the locker helps me get unstuck this winter in the snow.

View attachment 618748
Do you have the full float Dana 60 rear axle? I’ve been having a heck of a time finding a locker for mine in my ‘06.

dewray

Do you have the full float Dana 60 rear axle? I’ve been having a heck of a time finding a locker for mine in my ‘06.
No, mine is a semi float. I had a bit of trouble but once I figure out c-clip or not and the spline count it was pretty easy on the OX website to find the right one.

lightning60

Oh boy, that Hoonivan video needs to be taken down now! SO MANY BAD IDEAS! Makes me want to go drive mine too fast right now!

I'm running the Detroit True-Trac on my 98 E-350 with the V10. Upgraded to 4.11 gears. Still on stock tires.

I've been stuck three times with mine:

A friend's muddy driveway in North Carolina. As soon as I got off the gravel, I sunk.
A muddy edge of a field in Nebraska.
Low spot in a semi-frozen cornfield in Nebraska. Smarter driver, MaxTrax, and a winch or come-along could have fixed this one. As it was I installed chains after getting stuck, which just proceeded to dig through to the opposite side of the Earth. Ended up having to go get a tractor to lift me out of the hole I dug.

I'm really looking forward to exploring more out here in Nevada. Currently debating on lift then tires or just stuff as large of tire as I can without a lift.

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior