Any videos of what an E350 can do with rear locker only

Deshet

Adventurer
Hi All

I bought my 2000 7.3 Hightop conversion some time ago. I am wondering if anyone has a video of what this van can do with an electronic locker or air locker only.

I need to thin the Hurd and I am making decisions. It took 10+ years to find the 7.3 conversion van with high top. I have some nice stuff but can't vstand up in the back of any of it that is practical to keep.

I have never owned a vehicle that allowed the rear locker to be activated without being in 4 wheel drive. Not interested in anything crazy but want to get off the beaten path and ride on the beach some.

Ideally I want to raise the roof on my c4500 as the fuel mileage is similar but the tow capacity is ridiculously.

Thanks

iggi

Ian
I was camping by a lake last summer. Getting down the long, rutted dirt track was pretty easy.. but the amount of logs and other debris that people had jammed into the deeper ruts was a bit ominous.. Obviously slippery when wet. Woke up the sound of rain on the roof... uh oh. A quick inspection confirmed my suspicions, the dirt had a lot of clay in it was and was getting slicker by the second. We did get stuck when I slid into a deeper rut and ambulance's big fat butt lodged into the dirt. Once we get pulled out of that though we negotiated the rest of the trail ok.. even getting up on 3 (5) tires once. Factory LSD in a Dana 70 rear. I was suprised at how capable it was. If I'd been smart enough to bring my tire chains I doubt I would have gotten stuck.

IMG_2990.jpgIMG_2994.jpgIMG_2970.jpg

Deshet

Adventurer
I read your response again today. At first, I did not realize that you were doing all of this with the stock rear diff. Are you also standard height. That is impressive for a stock truck.

A winch could probably get you out of most binds.

Thanks for the videos

iggi

Ian
I figure a real locker in the rear plus a winch and I'll be good for the type of roads that I'm willing to take this big of a rig down.

Not sure what you mean by "standard height"?
Standard height for an ambulance if that is what you are asking. A bit over 9 feet outside. 5'8" inside the box.

Cheers,

I read your response again today. At first, I did not realize that you were doing all of this with the stock rear diff. Are you also standard height. That is impressive for a stock truck.

A winch could probably get you out of most binds.

Thanks for the videos

WVI

Adventurer
I the past, I've worked in some pretty soupy areas doing UXO remediation.
When I couldn't have my own truck with me, I often choose rental vans.
I have been in situation that required me to extricate folks with 4X4 trucks, using the van.
If you get used to what they can and can't do, it is amazing what you can do with one, and if it has a limited slip rear, all the better in my opinion. That's the next upgrade to mine.

Abitibi

Explorer
I have a rear locker in my ambo and eventhough I have 4x4 I rarely use it as the locker mostly does the job. Good tires, some lift, a locker and a good driver will get you way further than anyone can expect. Limitations are snow/ice, sand and drivers...

That last picture of Ian's Ambo makes me wonder how he ended up in that mess, lol

Deshet

Adventurer
I figure a real locker in the rear plus a winch and I'll be good for the type of roads that I'm willing to take this big of a rig down.

Not sure what you mean by "standard height"?
Standard height for an ambulance if that is what you are asking. A bit over 9 feet outside. 5'8" inside the box.

Cheers,
Sorry meant Standard/stock ground clearance. It looks like it is stock height (not lifted) in the video.

Again thanks for these.

dewray

I have a 2003 e350, extended, with an Ox Locker. All I have is a picture right now but maybe I can get a video soon. We took it to the Cinder Hills OHV park in Flagstaff, AZ earlier this summer and I was really impressed with its ability to navigate the loose unconsolidated cinders. However I did get stuck on a hill that was about a 30% grade when I went off the more trodden path. I got it on my second attempt, staying in the track. The main trouble is I didn't regear it when I installed the locker so with 3.55 gears I run out of torque on steep stuff or with big ledges. I will have to see if the locker helps me get unstuck this winter in the snow.

20200709_175307.jpg

michael_l

Observer
This is a great thread. I just bought a 2008 e350 extended, and I’m making peace with no 4x4. The controlling partner and I decided a high roof was 99% more useful than 4x4, as it would be used every single time we take it out.

My plan is a Trutrack out back, and some good tires. I’ll upgrade to the weldtec ocatillo kit for 4” or so of lift in a bit /this winter after I get the build out completed.

I figure this will be good for everywhere I should be taking a 10,000# 20+ foot long camping van. I have been going back and forth between open diff/elocker or Trutrack LSD without a true fully locked axel. I decided the LSD will be more useful on snow/ice and slippery situations more often than the full locked would be useful in 3 wheels with a drive wheel up situation. In that case a new line or a tap of the brakes should take care of me.

I am happy to see and hear others experiences that this should work out great.

So no videos to add but enjoying the responses!

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior