Any suggestions for a single solar panel, 12v system, 100+ watts

RandyP

Adventurer
I have space for a 36"x80" solar panel on top of my 4WC camper. Would like to Increase wattage greater than the 80w panel I use now. Any suggestions? The more watts, the better.

Last edited:

unseenone

Explorer
Depends on what you are looking for. This would be a good choice for a hard panel. Kyocera KD140GX-LFBS I'll put the specs below. My 2nd Choice would be a grape solar 100W flex panel.

Max Rated Power (Pmax) 140 Watts
Voltage at Max Power (Vmpp) 17.7 Volts
Current at Max Power (Impp) 7.91 Amps
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 22.1 Volts
Short Circuit Current (Isc) 8.68 Amps
Length x Width x Depth (inches) 59.06 x 26.3 x 1.8
Weight of Panel (Pounds) 28.4
Connector Cable Type MC4 Latching Cables

On controller, I would suggest the Morningstar PS-30-M PWM or something along that line.

RandyP

Adventurer
Depends on what you are looking for. This would be a good choice for a hard panel. Kyocera KD140GX-LFBS I'll put the specs below. My 2nd Choice would be a grape solar 100W flex panel.

On controller, I would suggest the Morningstar PS-30-M PWM or something along that line.

Thank you for the reply.

I have a Redarc battery charger with a MPPT solar controller, 25A three stage in place. Battery is a Liffeline 125 ah single 12v battery.

I was looking at the Kyocerasolar panel and thought it might be a good choice (140W).
A hard panel will work just fine on top of the camper.

And thanks for the grape solar suggestion. Just looked at their site and found a
160W Mono GS-S-160-FAB8 panel, looks like it would work with a 12v system and MPPT controller.

I need enough solar to keep up with a Isotherm Indel Webasto CR EL 130 12v refrigerator year round and (in the winter) a small Suburban wall furnace (has a 12v fan), some led lights, small water pump and charging IPad, camera & phones.
The refrig runs day & night, heater usually just cold night. Sometimes a CPAP machine at night.

unseenone

Explorer
Probably the more the better, as when conditions are lacking, you won't generate much. Generally speaking, you could "get away" with 100 but it is always nice to have more, so if the 160 will work do it. I like the grape solar folks, and their warranty is good. No hassles. There is someone from GS on the forum here, but not real active.

The reason I said not MPPT is because they generate a lot of RF interference, I noticed it particularly with HF ham, but if it does not cause you any problems, don't be too concerned.

RandyP

Adventurer
Thank you for the reply.
I did find their presence here and a grape solar thread. Positive comments.
I wonder if there might be a greate than 160W single panel that's for a 12v system out there somewhere ?

Hope to get a basic ham license soon, but no radio to worry about presently.

unseenone

Explorer
I suspect that is close to the max for your size requirements. You might give them a call, or send an e-mail, the seemed quite responsive, or drop me a PM and I'll send you the contact info I have.

I am not familiar with the power requirements on your heater or cpap machine. I am making an assumption you did the figuring on that for an overnight run time. If not, put the models here, and lets figure that out.

You are planning on roof mounting this, how did you determine what size you have space for? They list a 195w watt one.. Personally I would prefer two smaller ones, so if one gets broken or fails, you have something. http://www.grapesolar.com/190w-mono-gs-s-190-fab3.html 62.3” x 31.9” x 1.6”

Last edited:

RandyP

Adventurer
PM sent for grape solar contact info.
The 190w panel above has a Vmpp of 38 volts. I figure Ishould use one of the panels rated at 17-18 volts for the 12v system I have. I do not know if the 38 volt unt will work thru the MPPT controller that's in the Redarc battery charger I have.

I determined the size I could fit on the camper roof by measuring the space available up there.
Perhaps two smaller panels that will fit in the space I have would be better. I wonder what the one MPPT controler would do with those in parallel or in series ?

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I called my local solar supply stores until I found the best deal on one that size. They get odd colors or panes they can no longer match that they let go cheap. I had my choice of 4 or 5 deeply discounted panes so I bought the one that looked the strongest and had a stought frame. Online pricing and shipping was way more expensive. The guy even sold me a Morningstar controller cheaper than what was online.

unseenone

Explorer
Nobody here locally sells stuff like that, but it would be nice if they did. The focus here seems to be ripping off homeowners with over priced installs.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nobody here locally sells stuff like that, but it would be nice if they did. The focus here seems to be ripping off homeowners with over priced installs.

All the installers and solar companies like Solar City etc are charging very high prices and distracting home owners with the 30% gov tax credit. I'm ordering a custom kit from a solar equipment seller for half the cost any of the installers or solar companies were quoting me. Permits included, higher qualty enphase inverters, higher end panels all for half the price before my 30% tax credit. I'm mounting the brackets my self per code and then hiring a local electrician to do the install with me. Nearly a 20k savings on a 8.2kwh system. Over all the typical solar companies.

RandyP

Adventurer
Checked out AMSolar and found
ACO150 solar panel (polycrystalline)

Pmax = 150 watts @ maximum power

Vmpp = 18.25 volts @ maximum power point
Impp = 8.49 amps @ maximum power point

Voc = 22.61 volts @ open circuit
Isc = 9.08 amps @ short circuit

Length = 58.27" (1480mm)
Width = 26.38" (670mm)
Depth = 1.38" (35mm)
Weight = 27.56 lbs. (12.5 kg)

Note: Length is 61.52" with mounts installed

RandyP

Adventurer
Found this 150W panel, Renogy 150W Monocrystalline, odd size 39.5" x 39". I might have room for two of these.

image.jpg

Edit....nope gust an inch too wide to fit on the space available. But if I remove the roof rack, which I have only used one time, I can have two normally sized 150-160 watt panels.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'm putting two Renogy 100W "lightweight" panels on my Jeep Wrangler. These used to be called their "flexible panels" but from what I'm told they now bond them to a very thin sheet of aluminum to make them a little stronger, while still being crazy-light.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94