any sources for Male BSPT to female NPT adapters?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I purchased one of the many chinese made portable 4x4 compressors (Smittybilt 2781) which all seem to use metric BSPT fittings. I'd like to convert it so I can use NPT fittings so I'm wondering if they make a male BSPT to female NPT adapter that I can use for it?

Also, I'm not sure what the exact BSPT size is on the compressor hole so any advice on that is greatly appreciated. Yes, I know I can also re-tap it for NPT but I'd rather keep it all stock so i can revert back to using the OE hoses if desired.

TIA!
:ylsmoke:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys.

spressomon, I checked that adapter but it goes from 1/4-1/8" pipe which won't work for my compressor since it's all 1/4 pipe.

I found what I needed on McMaster Carr for under $4. Biggest challenge was figuring out exactly what I needed.

I knew my compressor uses British Standard Pipe threads but I wasn't sure if it had a Taper (BSPT) or was Parallel (BSPP). After a quick visual check you can easily see there is no taper to the threaded hole so after a bit of exploration on the McMaster website I found a 1/4 NPT Female x 1/4 BSPP Male Adapter for just $3.64. I'm sure tax and shipping will probably eclipse the cost of the fitting LOL.

ThreeEyedBandit

Are you sure it is a parallel thread? Does it have a sealing o-ring/washer on the base of the fitting? That will tell you if it is tapered or not. Also look for any hydraulic or pneumatic shops around town. They can usually get you whatever you will need.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

off-roader

Expedition Leader
No o-ring/washer on this one. Just teflon tape.

OK, to close this thread off, I did find the adapter fitting through the McMaster-Carr website for ~$3. Unfortunately when I tried it, I discovered the threaded hole in the compressor was just shy smaller than the standard thread size. Due to the design of the compressor, I couldn't just redrill and tap the hole so instead I ended up modifying the rubber hose that screws into the hole.

Instead I removed the barbed male LP Air fitting from the other end and replaced it with a standard barbed 1/4" male LP Air fitting. Now I can use that with a standard polyurethane coiled hose (instead of the stock Nylon hose) & standard quick release air fittings. I also found a heavy duty open (per the original configuration) air chuck for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz