Any shop making a Custom Snorkel?

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Does anyone know of a shop in the US that can build a snorkel?

Ideally out of Stainless of course.

(Yes, I've googled the f out of this)

Thanks

Explorerinil

Observer
I’m sure if you talk to some local fab shops someone would. I have a ram aev snorkel for sale with the ram head and filter head, I’m sure you could make that work somehow. AEV put their snorkel on a Colorado, I’m sure they didn’t reinvent it, looks like their ram snorkel.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
AEV had it as just a typical bs SEMA deal. As I recall it wasn't for anything more than show, if it was an easy thing I suspect they would sell it lol.

Oh, I've contacted shops. Nobody has ever made one and nobody wants to do it.

Someone claims to have purchased a snorkel for a Holden Colorado and that it worked (with some creative modification), however he was very short on details and, after checking the Holden v Chevy fenders/etc I am starting to really question how well it fit.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Someone claims to have purchased a snorkel for a Holden Colorado and that it worked (with some creative modification), however he was very short on details and, after checking the Holden v Chevy fenders/etc I am starting to really question how well it fit.
Guys use Hilux snorkels on Tacomas and the body work isn't really that similar between the two so the fit isn't perfect.

The key criteria is that the engine air intake and plumbing is the same or at least very close, the distance from the hole in the fender and the rake of the A-pillar are similar. The actual profile of the snorkel body is cosmetic I personally think even though the Hilux snorkel doesn't fit *perfectly* on the fender visually the fact that it's overall much lower bulk means it looks better IMHO.

I bet the Holden and Chevy Colorado profiles are closer than the Tacoma/Hilux and so it might work out just fine.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Summit Racing (among others) sells all the stainless bends you would need. They are mandrel bends (meaning there is no reduction in diameter at the bend). They are listed under exhaust tubing and are cheaper than you will find almost anywhere else. You can buy flexible ducting from Mcmaster Carr and Summit also sells the clamps. The tubing is easily cut via a band saw or chop saw and can be reliably welded with a mig welder and the correct wire and gas. You could make your own for around $200 with that price going up substantially for each component or service you outsource. Have at it!

javajoe79

Fabricator
I can build it. I would need your truck though. Where do you live? Surely there is an automotive fab shop nearby?

robert

Expedition Leader
Why build one? When I was in the Philippines snorkels were pretty common on the Colorados so I'm sure they're available. Ebay shows some.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Robert, those are not the Chevy Colorado, well they are but, they are the Holden Colorado with a Chevy badge...or something like that.

Whatever the case, they are not identical to the US Chevy Colorado :)

I'm told a Snorkel can be forced to work, but ..

The big difference is right hand drive vs left hand drive. I haven't compared side by side images, but I would imagine the engine compartments to be mirrored.

Stryder106

Explorer
I used the Safari snorkel for a 70 Series Land Cruiser for my Avalanche as the fender shape was the closest I could find. I must have looked at 1000+ images on line trying to find what looked like the best fit. Safari is of no help whatsoever if the snorkel is going on a vehicle other than what it is designed for.

If I may ask, why stainless? It seems like that would heat up in the sun and heat the air as it passes through it.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I used the Safari snorkel for a 70 Series Land Cruiser for my Avalanche as the fender shape was the closest I could find. I must have looked at 1000+ images on line trying to find what looked like the best fit. Safari is of no help whatsoever if the snorkel is going on a vehicle other than what it is designed for.

If I may ask, why stainless? It seems like that would heat up in the sun and heat the air as it passes through it.
Stainless is pretty slow to transfer heat so once the engine was running, I doubt it would transfer much heat to the intake air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior