Any room for another m101 build up?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
dsy said:
I got ya, that was what I was going for with the idea of using a piece of angle down the center with the two edges welded down to make a triangle. Do you think a hat shape will work that much better?

For the seal I was going to again copy that awesome other trailer and put in pads to keep the top from over compressing the gasket material when the top is locked down. Then use thick enough gasket to allow for some movement without breaking the seal.

Would it be worthwhile to box in some areas of the C channel frame to try and stiffen it up some?

Sorry for the fifty questions... :bowdown:
Doug

Fifty questions? You only get 20 around here, and none of them can be bigger than a bread box. :sombrero:

The hat is a sheet metal standard, and works very well, it's like a corrugated panel. Your idea may work fine, I've never tried it.

If the frame is rust free I'd just leave it as is. Boxing in a few sections may do more harm than good.

Use a rubber bulb seal on your lid, you can get some with adhesive on the base. It's worth the money.

16 more question remaining...................

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Martyn said:
A hat is a stiffener made from a piece of steel that has a cross section in the shape of a top hat _n_ if you can visualize that. It would run down the center of the lid front to back and be spot welded in place.

The chassis of my Apache Trailer is made this way it is a aluminum box riveted together like an air plane, then 3 of the hats are riveted under the box. the springs are attached to the outside ones and the tongue slides into the middle one. It makes it perdy rigid.

im copying your trailer lid just so ya know. Any idea what yours weighs? Ill be doing basically exactly what you did only out of aluminum

ill post pics in a few few days or so

dsy

Adventurer
lx450landcruiser said:
im copying your trailer lid just so ya know. Any idea what yours weighs? Ill be doing basically exactly what you did only out of aluminum

ill post pics in a few few days or so

Good, The measurements I used works just right to utilize a standard 5' wide piece of steel
Not sure on the weight. Best guess would be maybe around 75lbs. Next time I get someone over to help I'll stand it up on a scale and post the results.
Doug

edit: not really sure of the weight but I have one 250lb spring lift on without the tent and the way I ended up placing the lift, I can raise the lid with one finger.
Once the tent is on the other spring will go on.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
For the un-welded lid another option to stiffen the piece would be to "Cross Break" that section. Basically a very slight bend done diagonally corner to corner of the horizontal portion, and then a second such bend across the other diagonal corners.

roberto

Adventurer
Great lid and thread, I have been brainstorming on what lid to go with and also wanted to do the AT lid as it gives a little more room since the CDN M101only has 18" of height inside. Looks great!

Roberto

dsy

Adventurer
Well I finally got the metal work about done and the lid attached. Time to get some paint on it and get the rubber bulb seal installed around the lip. Really seems to have a lot of room inside now. The new Eezi-awn 1600 RTT is supposed to show up the beginning of next week. Hopefully will have the trailer painted to match the Jeep with-in the next week.
Anyone with a M101 CND have any experience with converting to electric brakes? I want to do that asap also.
Doug

lidpz3.jpg

lidsidexk0.jpg

lidrearil0.jpg

Last edited:

dsy

Adventurer
Don't have the final paint job done but just got back from a 1500 mile shake down run. This thing sure attracts attention, going down the road or at the camp grounds. Couple of little things to tweak but overall I'm very happy with the way it pulled. Road or trail, could hardly tell it was there. Will get some pictures up once its finished painting. Still going back and forth now whether or not to match the color scheme of the Jeep or keep the body of the trailer green to match the roof top tent. The green is kind of growing on me.

beerockto2.jpg

trailriglr7.jpg

:campfire:

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Personally, I like the green trailer if the tent is green also. That way, if you leave your trailer and tent set up back in the woods it won't attract as much attention. Sorta blend in with the surroundings. Lower visual impact on the surroundings.

Great trailer BTY, I like the top you made for it. Kinda inspires me to get going on mine.

Curtis

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I like it alot! IMHO, the only way to go is to color match the JK. Thats will be sweet! Are you going to leave the lid siler like your hardtop? then the Green Red? Very good job.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior