Any recommendations on a Parka?

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
Planning our Arctic trip brings up one of the most important things us desert dwellers rarely have and that is serious cold weather gear. I started looking at Parkas and pants and it seems to be more a Hipster trend that serious gear any more. I am thinking the old Mil Spec M65 Parka will be sufficient for the trip, but thought I would ask opinions on here. I am not a "name brand" fan boy, so I don't have to have the $1500 Canada Goose jacket but I am not allergic to wearing a brand if it works well for the price. I am not willing to drop $500 in a parka.

Thoughts/opinions??

Thanks!

BEG

Adventurer
N3-B snorkel parkas from various manufacturers (Alpha Industries, Spiewak, genuine milsurp etc.) should fit the bill. Opt for a genuine coyote fur ruff around the hood (I think only Spiewak offers it) since I believe they're more resistant to freezing in extreme cold than synthetic fur. As long as they're built to military specs, they're good to temps down around -60*F.

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
N3-B snorkel parkas from various manufacturers (Alpha Industries, Spiewak, genuine milsurp etc.) should fit the bill. Opt for a genuine coyote fur ruff around the hood (I think only Spiewak offers it) since I believe they're more resistant to freezing in extreme cold than synthetic fur. As long as they're built to military specs, they're good to temps down around -60*F.

Good points!

Thanks!

Retired Tanker

Explorer
You can retain body heat by building up layers and reducing the penetration of the elements.

So, I opt for 3in1 systems with a zip in / button in liner that's a size or two too big. Add / remove fleece layers underneath, as needed.

Look for waist cinch ties. I like the ties that go around individual legs, just like the old military parkas; but they are pretty rare in civilian gear.

Double ditto on the coyote fur. That fake fur just doesn't cut it.

The old military parkas were good for wind, but didn't help out much for moisture. So, depending on which season you're going, you might need additional cover with them.

Or, you can get a Gore-Tex shell and zip in liner with pants to match, but now you're in the $500 - $2,000 range.

So, if you can stay dry, the military surplus stuff is probably where you need to be.

Pinstripe

Adventurer
That Canadian army surplus jacket does not even have any fill that I can see/mentioned.

Canada Goose parkas are very warm but they priced themselves like crazy the last few years as they grew in popularity.

Agreed on the fur ruff, but if this will but if this will be used for one or two trips, I would not eliminate the others from contention.

The North Face has the best value in parkas to warmth ratio. They should all be on sale right now.

PS: I have to say, as a Canadian, I don't understand the desire of people to come up into the freezing cold as a holiday. Brr!

Retired Tanker

Explorer
PS: I have to say, as a Canadian, I don't understand the desire of people to come up into the freezing cold as a holiday. Brr!

I know what you mean!

I spent a year in Edmonton one month about 4 years ago. Between the dump trucks hauling snow out of the city all night and the power boxes in the parking lots for crankcase heaters, I think I'll just wait until after the spring thaw in August...

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
That Canadian army surplus jacket does not even have any fill that I can see/mentioned.

Canada Goose parkas are very warm but they priced themselves like crazy the last few years as they grew in popularity.

Agreed on the fur ruff, but if this will but if this will be used for one or two trips, I would not eliminate the others from contention.

The North Face has the best value in parkas to warmth ratio. They should all be on sale right now.

Thanks very much!

It's a bucket list item for me to get to the Arctic Ocean. 2017 will be the end of the ice road as we know it due to the opening of the new Inuvik-Tuk highway. That is why we're doing it!

LilPoppa

Adventurer
I clicked on one of the banner ads here on the forum and found some really good deals on North Face gear. They definitely had parkas for under $500. I think the site was, "Backcountry."

Lucky j

Explorer
I know what you mean!

I spent a year in Edmonton one month about 4 years ago. Between the dump trucks hauling snow out of the city all night and the power boxes in the parking lots for crankcase heaters, I think I'll just wait until after the spring thaw in August...

When I here a fellow canadian saying that kind of comment, the only thing I can tell them is... move. BC Barely see a real winter, and Southern Ontario can be warmer that a lot of places in Canada, so does Halifax.

So I do not see why you would remain miserable. ;)

As for the military, I would just give them a call. I do not think they would mention that they are very warm w/o the insulation.

Just a tought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94