Any photos/opinnions of 3/4 length roof racks on G's vs. Full length roof rack?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
looks like a Preining rack, which Mk216v identified for me when I was lusting after the racks that are available on the W461 PUR as well as G550s provided to Mike Horn for his K2 adventure. I believe it's the "factory" rack.

Yes, that is a Preining, what Mercedes supplies on the PUR and such, and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

raicar

Raicar, long time no chat! I hope you've been well.

-Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

ja - it has been quite a while I've been active in the US Forums - I have too many historic car projects :sombrero:! You're right mine is a PREINING rack. PREINING used to build a lot of the military spec special order gadgets for MAGNA / MERCEDES. He's been skipped from the list of OEM suppliers this year. Now it looks like LeTech would be the supplier for the factory order roof racks. Mike Horn and his team were using already the LeTech roof rack on their way to the K2. The LeTech rack is sturdy as well, mounts a little tighter to the roof (therefore overall height of the G remains lower), it can be split into separate pieces and this way is easier and cheaper to be delivered to all over the world. Like the PREINING rack, the LeTech rack costs big bucks and I personally don't like the rear ladder being mounted by drilling holes in the body. Everything else is top notch!

raicar

24077302xs.jpg

24077303cw.jpg

24077304pk.jpg

24077305ai.jpg

24077306rf.jpg

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hi raicar,

LeTech looks like a nice rack too.
I wonder if they're already offering or have thought about all of the different attachments they could hang off the sides of the rack with the "standard" roll cage bar clamps(if they wouldn't hit the body since the rack is so close to the body).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles